Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME7 Volvo - Commanding Lambda 1.0 at WOT/Boost  (Read 15054 times)
dangt84

« on: November 25, 2016, 10:23:51 AM »

I have a 2001 Volvo V7 T5 that runs a 0261206828 ECM with Bosch ME7.

Some history on the car is that it had a Stage II IPD Tune with supporting modifications (Turbo Back Exhaust - Air Cleaner). The car was running lean on the IPD tune so I used their MTE Softloader to flash the ECU "Back to Stock".

What I'm fighting with is that the ECU seems to be commanding Lambda 1.0 at all times. I have no PID available on my scanner to confirm this but I have done some backup work - I created an over Rich condition (MAF interception) and at WOT under load and 10PSI boost the STFT would go -22 to -25 and bring me right back to Lambda 1.0.

With the front O2 (WB02) disconnected I'm able to use the MAF interceptor to accurately control fueling and I can adjust fueling under load down to the 12.5 range. Fuel supply is not an issue here.

I'm a competent tuner but I don't know enough about Volvo's code to understand its "logic" in this situation. I have checked what I would guess be conditions for Enrichment - Throttle Signal is good, RPM is good, Coolant Temp is good and Both MAP and MAF are reporting correctly.

Using scan data and a WB02 it "LOOKS" like Volvo is "Commanding"  Lambda 1.0 at all times, no Enrichment happens at all - Please, if someone could help explain some of the other conditions that need to be met in the ECU coding to achieve a WOT Enrichment it may let me see something that I've missed. I do have 1 ECM code - ECM-4010 - an EVAP code - My experience says that a manufacture won't dangerously lean out a tune because of an Emmisions code though (Or any code for that matter).

Thanks in advance!
dangt84

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »

This thread I found here seems to contain a stock .BIN file but lacking a lot of definitions in an XDF
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.msg96813#msg96813
dangt84

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »

I have been in contact with IPD and they have given me a PID that shows me commanded Lambda. I have a Datalog that proves the ECU is aiming for Lambda 1.0 (14.7:1 afr) at WOT at 10psi of boost!

I'd love to know why the hell it would do this Sad
contrast

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »

I don't understand what you're on about.
If you are competent tuner then adjust the calibration to make it richer.
If not then ask IPD why their tune is so lean.
T5 engines make about 15psi stock so yours being tuned and hitting 10 is weird.
dangt84

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »

I have asked IPD and they're essentially saying its not possible that the data is correct - Even though I've confirmed it with with a secondary wideband. I have no software/hardware capabilities other than the MTE Softloader and the IPD cable.

The log I sent them was using the "stock" tune (returned to stock via MTE so I beleive its not entirely stock as it has their loader etc?). I've asked if their could be corruption with their file but they seem unwilling to send any other files for me to flash.

The log file is attached. It clearly shows Lambda 1.0
venderbroeck

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »

The stock tune will target lambda 1 in almost all conditions. The bts threshold value is pretty high, and lamfa is usually all lambda 1. With a good definition file that would be easy to correct. I can make one if you can't find any.
dangt84

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

It surely shouldn't target Lambda 1.0 at WOT. There should be some PE enrichment under boost. I'd expect to see Lambda 0.8 ish

I've been able to save a screenshot of the log. As you can see the Lambda Commanded is not FIXED at 1.0 as it moves around on over run etc but its solidly commanding and achieving 14.7:1 under boost.
daniel2345

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »

Why not Lambda 1.00 Target? Engine is designed for it. Software is calibrated for it.

Do some homework...

Only needs more enrichment if way too hot. Stock Setup mostly not getting too hot offside german highways. No long full load runs possible.

A tuner can decide to change that, Marco(MTE) did probably not for a Stage2 Tune.
dangt84

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »

Of all the engines I've ever tuned I've never personally seen a commanded air fuel ratio of 14.7:1 under wide open throttle. Can anyone confirm that it Volvo actually programmed it this way? When I looked for other peoples logs they we're showing AFR's of 11-12:1  as I would expect to see from an OEM setup.
dangt84

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

I believe that this is the same BIN as my vehicle
daniel2345

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 03:22:47 AM »

Well, then you have obviously not seen enough. And obviously not read enough for tuning engines, sorry.

Try to find out, why an OEM should run engines at Lambda 1.00 as long as possible.
Small hint: we are talking about year 2000 introduced Euro3 Engine from an OEM who likes it's environment Cheesy
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 03:26:00 AM »

Try to find out, why an OEM should run engines at Lambda 1.00 as long as possible.

There is no good reason other than emissions and fuel economy. If you care more about those than performance, why are you running anything but the stock file?

In any case, there are many, many stock ME7.x files that request lower than lambda 1 under various conditions. Why else have LAMBTS, LAMFAKR, and LAMFA paths?

THREE different ways of requesting lower than 1 lambda.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:28:19 AM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
venderbroeck

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 04:47:00 AM »

Of course they do req lower than 1 under certain circumstances. In most of the Volvo bins I've seen from that era, the lamfa map is all 1, and the bts egt limit is at around 950 degC. So one WOT pull wont be enough to make it request something lower than 1. Sustained wot runs are required for that in those cases.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:50:56 AM by venderbroeck » Logged
daniel2345

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:07 AM »

Or some minutes above 200 Km/h...

@nyet: LAMFAKR is disabled on Volvo via Sysconstant (=not compiled in)
LAMFA is all 1.00, LAMBTS kicks in on very high load and with small multiplication part only above high EGT Model Temperature.

The system can request Lambda lower than 1.00 for sure. But with Stock file at near stock conditions for some wot pulls, it will not be seen for those Volvos.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:10:21 AM by daniel2345 » Logged
dangt84

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »

Very interesting information and something that I wouldn't have found else where - I thank you for that. To me, it looks very foreign as usually we're more concerned with ensuring a complete oxygen burn than emissions. I have countless GM, Ford, Dodge etc BINs that are commanding .80-85 quite early on in their load tables - although they have started to act a larger "Delay" into their Power Enrichment now.

I will do some more testing and see what I come up with. I would LOVE to be able to modify the tune and upload but I'm not sure if the IPD cable is compatible other loaders other than the MTE Softloader.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: