Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What hardware / Software is needed for my Volvos?  (Read 4711 times)
RookieM

« on: January 15, 2017, 01:27:45 AM »

Hello!

Been working on Triumph Motorcycles and SAAB Trionic7, so got some basic knowledge in CAN-com, maping, etc.
Also works as an Automation Engineer, so this programming is kind of my hood but engine control is still a quite new subject.  Cool

But what is needed/supported for sweet talking Volvos, preferably all MY´s?
(And by sweet talking I mean upload from ECU, editing maps, calculate CHKsum and download it back to the ECU-box)

Seen something about ME4 and ME7, but this is for old cars?
A guy over at VolvoSpeed directed me here and said something about MED9.
What is used on newer Volvos?  Huh

I own a Lawicel USB, will this fix the hardware side?

What software is neeeded for editing maps and/or flashing?

Or is here already a list for Volvos models and their ECU hardware?
Tried to search but came up with nothing.

Cheers!  Cheesy

Cheers!
RookieM

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »

Really?

40 guys read, and no one knows anything about any Volvos?

Do you know another forum that maybe have the knowledge if it´s missing at this one?
vwaudiguy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

Have you searched this forum using the keyword "Volvo" yet?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
RookieM

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Have you searched this forum using the keyword "Volvo" yet?

Yes I did!

Seems like there were a couple of guys like me, trying to understand how Volvos should be tuned by non-prof tools.
But did´nt really get any answers, like me  Grin.

How is Volvo 2008-2015 being accessed? BDM?
What software are used? Which hardware is recommended?
eliotroyano

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »

Yes I did!
Seems like there were a couple of guys like me, trying to understand how Volvos should be tuned by non-prof tools.
But did´nt really get any answers, like me  Grin.
How is Volvo 2008-2015 being accessed? BDM?
What software are used? Which hardware is recommended?

I am not Volvo involved but as any Auto ECU engineering reverse process just define car, model, year, ECU model, type, part numbers, manufacture family, procesor type and associated internal and external memory types and you will start to know the path of your answers.
RookieM

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »

Maybe I´m just to much in a hurry and asking for something that isn´t available.

If I want to tune a SAAB (any SAAB from like 1992 until 2009, there is tons of knowledge, well known software and many different ways to connect to the hardware.

This doesn´t seems to be the case for Volvos, there seems to be a lot of different systems used, and very little knowledge (that´s willing to be shared anyway) available.

Peter Carvall did it, but on the other hand he ran a business on the idea..

So thanks, but i guess i need to keep looking elsewhere.

jahkotuning

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:54:06 AM »

There are a couple of Volvo threads here well worth reading, you will find there are many variants and you'll have to get your head into it no matter which one you have.  I started on my own about 6 months ago and can do "enough" for now on the ecu's I've bought to play with and have successfully tuned a couple of ECU's. I'd recommend getting a few from scrappers and looking at the differences yourself to get a proper understanding the system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: