Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Tuning ignition on 1.8T E85+Gt2860  (Read 16406 times)
Jim_Coupe

« on: February 14, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Hi, I feel a bit lost when it comes to adjust my timing for my new GT28 setup with E85. I feel like i can give it more timing in some areas where the Gt28 is not boosting as the k03 did. But i fell a bit lost right now on how to hunt for better timing.  Right now i have maximum timing 41.25 degrees, hom much more can i add when using E85.

Im looking for logging methods on how to calibrate timing on E85..  When i tuned this engine on 98okt I logged and looked for timing retard and lowered ign when i ran into knock. I also listened to knock but with E85 it difficult.

E85oholic
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

E85 tuning has nothing to do with knock.

Even worse, you seem to think that more timing means more power.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »

E85 tuning has nothing to do with knock.

Even worse, you seem to think that more timing means more power.

Except the fact there mostly isn't any with E85.

More timing does mean more power. Up to a certain point.

Best way to adjust timing on cars using E85 is on a dyno, due to the lack of knock sensor feedback/ correction.

I'm not an expert on E85 by far, but I have tuned a handful of cars on a dyno using E85.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:48:17 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »

Well the correct question would be how to get better timing nyet..

Here in sweden almost every tuned car runs E85.. I think E85 is cheating Smiley  I get the sense that i can add more and more timing.. I did a test @ low rpm adding ALOT of advance... The engine was working against it self lol...

vwaudiguy a dyno would be the best... hmm.. alot of people often say add 2 degrees all over the map but.. As you say Nyet.. more timing isnt always more power..

how about tuning as good as it gets on 98okt and then add a clalculated timing to compensate for the lower flamespeed?..

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:49:31 PM by Jim_Coupe » Logged

E85oholic
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »

alot of people often say add 2 degrees all over the map

You can add much more than that, if you're speaking of advance on top of optimal with pump (93octane in the US) fuel.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

Yes I agree.. In the MAX load running 95okt I could max go 11.5 degress timing 6500rpm@1.5Bar..  But today i changed over to E85.. I now have 25degrees timing in the same area and the car pulls like hell.. But I can not be certain if its the best timing..I might be able to get more with less timing. That only he dyno can tell i guess..

@ partial throttle i feel its abit more difficult to find the best timing.

E85oholic
IamwhoIam

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »

Just find the point where the pistons get pushed backwards and the crank starts spinning backwards, then retard a few degrees, done.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:46:00 AM »

Just find the point where the pistons get pushed backwards and the crank starts spinning backwards, then retard a few degrees, done.

Cheesy lol

E85oholic
prj

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

Without a dyno, you can log load (rl_w) and compare that over a few runs.  Stop advancing timing when load no longer increases.
Bullshit.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
SB_GLI

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »

Yes, regurgitated bs, I retract and apologize.  I did use this method, and it seemed to have worked as I wanted it to, but no dyno to prove that it actually did.

Without a dyno, FATS time is an indicator you could use.  You could also measure time over a certain rpm range to get a rough idea of ideal advance.  Obviously nothing will measure torque the same way a dyno will.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »

Without a dyno, FATS time is an indicator you could use.

This wont tell you WHERE/WHEN to change timing at all.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SB_GLI

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »

This wont tell you WHERE/WHEN to change timing at all.

Read the next sentence.  But, I'm obviously not adding any value to this thread...  I digress.
turbojohan

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »

Cilinderpressure sensor Will tell a lot. But dyno is easiest..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
vwaudiguy

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »

Cilinder pressure sensor Will tell a lot.

Yes, but do you have a reasonable way to measure this?

Jim_Coupe

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »

A cylinder Pressure sensor!.. I need it.. Where is it..  Sounds like it costs alot. 

To begin with i can just try changing the ignition i the areas where I now know that i dont have any turbo boost..
Why I started to wonder about the ignition thing is because I am now running a much more bigger turbo with greater lag. The stock ign curve is adapted to the K03/K04 fast spool..   I mean the K03 hits 0.5 bar almost instantly and the ign advance have been retarded in this area of the map.... So in my understanding i now have a "Hole" in the map because i now have more lag..   

But what if I just log the boost from my GT28 setup and see how much boost I have in an particular area of the map, then i could adjust timing a little bit to optimize a bit. The goal is just to try to compensate with little extra timing where i now no longer have the early K03 Boost. To me this feel it feel reasonable to ad at least one or two degrees in my dead zone of this turbo setup..

E85oholic
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: