Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S4 BW K04 charge pressure @ redline  (Read 5034 times)
vwaudiguy

« on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »

Looking for suggestions from those with experience on charge pressure to run these turbos at redline. Looking for long term reliable operation without leaving too much power on the table. Talking street cars here. Thanks, guys!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »

Looking for suggestions from those with experience on charge pressure to run these turbos at redline. Looking for long term reliable operation without leaving too much power on the table. Talking street cars here. Thanks, guys!

Have a look at the compressor map.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »

Have a look at the compressor map.

I had a feeling that was coming.  I remember reading how there were inaccurate ones, or possibly mislabeled ones floating around the net. Also, I don't think a comp map is going to tell me about long term reliability.

I have this comp map that is said to be from a BW RS4K04.

I was more looking for real world experiences, of running x pressure over x miles, and how the turbos held up. For instance I saw you mention in a thread that one of your K04's was getting noisy, but no mention if it was BW/Chinese how the car was used, and @ what pressure you ran them over how many miles.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:11:02 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
prj

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »

With the stock actuators you are free to run 95% DC without any issues.
They will regulate themselves based on backpressure.

You can do 1.4 bar to redline with stiffer actuators, haven't had any problems.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »

With the stock actuators you are free to run 95% DC without any issues.
They will regulate themselves based on backpressure.

You can do 1.4 bar to redline with stiffer actuators, haven't had any problems.

Thanks for your insight, prj. Definitely not what I expected to hear.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »

My experience mirrors prjs.

K04s have no problem with 20-21 psi at redline

After than you just don't make any more gains.

With proper lubrication/fueling/timing and heat management (IC, oil and coolant) etc they can be "safely" run to 23-24 at redline but you will definitely lose power on pump gas, and no longer make any more power on race gas.

I ran a pair of chinese k04s at 30 taper to 25 for 4 days at the track with no issues (stress testing).

Note that they have held up 22 taper to 20 and my motor gave out first (at 150k miles).

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

My experience mirrors prjs.

K04s have no problem with 20-21 psi at redline

After than you just don't make any more gains.

With proper lubrication/fueling/timing and heat management (IC, oil and coolant) etc they can be "safely" run to 23-24 at redline but you will definitely lose power on pump gas, and no longer make any more power on race gas.

I ran a pair of chinese k04s at 30 taper to 25 for 4 days at the track with no issues (stress testing).

Note that they have held up 22 taper to 20 and my motor gave out first (at 150k miles).

Thanks, Nyet. Valuable info.

armageddon

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »

With the chinese CHRA? lucky man...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: