Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does nefmoto know when your laptop is dying or has a low battery?  (Read 9411 times)
royce5950

I'm wondering if nefmoto has some sort of feature built into it where it detects when your laptop might die before the flashing procedure is complete? I'm only using the basic-free version of nefmoto. its the latest version. Normally when flashing, I watch as nefmoto writes data to the ECU. I move back and forth as I go from watching the multimeter, ensuring I stay above 12v, and making sure nefmoto doesn't have any issues while flashing. Last night I was reflashing my ECU after making a few adjustments in my file and I forgot to check how much battery life my laptop had left before it would die. Basically I started the flash and once I had started the procedure I noticed that I was at around 3% battery  Shocked yikes... I frantically watched as nefmoto wrote data to the ECU and at about 65% I realized I was at full blown 0%. I was getting super anxious as I watched nefmoto continue to flash the ECU... 78% 79% 80%... then suddenly it said something to the effect of 88% complete.. writing to ECU memory successful!  Huh  I thought to myself... Hmmm thats weird.

I went inside to charge my laptop, worried I may have bricked my ECU or something? normally I watch it go to 100%.. I know that the premium licensed version of nefmoto allows you to reflash your ECU, but nefmoto will save time by ignoring memory blocks that weren't modified and only rewriting the data blocks that have been changed. I'm wondering if the basic-free version of nefmoto will function the same as the premium version if it detects a low battery? as a way of defending the user from  incomplete programming? Or could my programming possibly be incomplete and maybe I should reflash the ECU for good measure?

This isn't a huge deal, just thought I would share this experience to see if anyone had any insight or had experienced something similar to what happened here?

Smiley

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COM
gman86

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:41:03 AM »

Did it start?
vwaudiguy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »

I don't believe it does with any version. Pro tools don't even do this. Best bet is to have it plugged in, otherwise, there is always some risk. Even fully charged batteries can fail.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
adam-

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:13:22 AM »

It's assumed that you know you need the laptop to be charged before you write.  Adding a feature that verifies the laptop has charge is silly.  Mine could be 3% but last half an hour, yours could be 3% and last 30 seconds.

Furthermore, you shouldn't need a multimeter if you have the battery on charge.
royce5950

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »

I just prefer to use the multimeter because I understand that you can shorten the lifespan of your battery by overcharging it and/or charging it too often. So when I put it on the charger I pay attention to the multimeter and switch the charger to standby mode once it gets to about 12.54 volts, then I watch the multimeter as it drops, then once it gets down to about 12.04 I switch it back on to 15amp charge. Then I run over to the driver seat where my laptop is sitting so I can check on the status of the flash and ensure that its not having any problems and to see how much time remains until flashing is complete.

Did it start?

Yes, it did start and I have driven it about 3 times so far. all seems well. my changes made to KFLDIMX / KFLDRL / LDRXN seem to have written properly.. Same goes for LAMFA and TABGBTS... But I plan on doing a full read of the flash memory, then comparing the file I wrote to the ECU, with the file thats currently on the ECU to make sure absolutely everything wrote to the ECU as it should have.

Thats the charger I use, since I have an optima I got this charger because it has an AGM setting.

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COM
royce5950

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

It's assumed that you know you need the laptop to be charged before you write.  Adding a feature that verifies the laptop has charge is silly.  Mine could be 3% but last half an hour, yours could be 3% and last 30 seconds.

Furthermore, you shouldn't need a multimeter if you have the battery on charge.

Oh, I'm not suggesting to add one, I was just wondering why nefmoto decided to kick shit into high gear this time like this? everythime I flash my ECU its with the same file, only with a few changes made to it. yet every time I flash it goes all the way to 100% until it says "flash succeeded" but this time it went to 88% and said success? and the only variable was that my laptop was about to die?

Also, I try and always make sure my laptop is charged, but lately my laptop has been showing signs of the battery about to go out on me... It only lasts like an hour now in performance mode, before I could get 3.5 out of it...
Time for a new one.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: