Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Running Without Thermostat  (Read 17545 times)
dokalanyi

« on: March 08, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »

Hi All,
So Thermostat failures are so common that people remove them soon as they buy a car. I bought my car without a thermostat and then bought one. Recently pipes started bursting, and I'd replace a pipe, only for another to burst after a few minutes of driving. Removed the thermostat, and problem went away, so I assumed it's stuck open.

So question is, what maps do I need to modify to lower engine operating temperature. Not by much, but just such that on cold days (18*C), my engine still runs as though it's at 90*. Would like to lower it to 80*.

Kind regards,
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

What???

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
adam-

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

You do understand that the thermostat is a physical object?  You can't modify it with maps.
SB_GLI

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »

I just smite and didn't bother to explain with what I think.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »

You do understand that the thermostat is a physical object?  You can't modify it with maps.

Not on all ecu's. Smiley

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
KasperH

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »

Wow, just..... wow.
I have never heard of "removing thermostat" as a common thing Huh
It's probably the cheapest easiest fix to replace a failed thermostat.
If your coolant pipes burst when the thermostat is in the system, I would say that the coolant pipes are waaay overdue for a change.
My immediate thought wouldn't be "I'll remove the thermostat because that must be the cause of my pipes bursting"
Do you know the reason why the cooling system is under pressure and the function of the thermostat?

I know that not all are equal in mechanic skills.
But this train of thought just boggles my mind.

May I ask what your reasoning is in this decision and where you got this idea from?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:10:51 PM by KasperH » Logged
dokalanyi

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:25:54 AM »

This isn't what I meant at all.
- I mean the thermostat is supposed to keep the engine running at around 90*C.
- The engine expect to be running around that, before that temperature, some things are disabled -- like misfire detection.
- I want to make sure the engine is running as though it's at optimum temperature, from 80*C - 95*C
dokalanyi

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:30:33 AM »

Wow, just..... wow.
I have never heard of "removing thermostat" as a common thing Huh
It's probably the cheapest easiest fix to replace a failed thermostat.
If your coolant pipes burst when the thermostat is in the system, I would say that the coolant pipes are waaay overdue for a change.
My immediate thought wouldn't be "I'll remove the thermostat because that must be the cause of my pipes bursting"
Do you know the reason why the cooling system is under pressure and the function of the thermostat?

I know that not all are equal in mechanic skills.
But this train of thought just boggles my mind.

May I ask what your reasoning is in this decision and where you got this idea from?

The reasoning is simple:
- In warmer countries, the thermostat isn't that useful. It's a little bit useful, but not extremely so
- Therefore one weighs the benefits of having it (and have it fail, overheating etc), Vs just removing it, and taking a bit longer to reach operating temperature
KasperH

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:59:37 AM »

The reasoning is simple:
- In warmer countries, the thermostat isn't that useful. It's a little bit useful, but not extremely so
- Therefore one weighs the benefits of having it (and have it fail, overheating etc), Vs just removing it, and taking a bit longer to reach operating temperature

A thermostat cost like $10 and takes 20 minutes (max) to change.
The function of the thermostat wil always be useful.
You could buy a thermostat with a lower opening temperature,
Or alternatively drill a couple of holes in the thermostat casing?

What are your commonly hottest and coldest temperatures where you live?
dokalanyi

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 03:33:30 AM »

A thermostat cost like $10 and takes 20 minutes (max) to change.
The function of the thermostat wil always be useful.
You could buy a thermostat with a lower opening temperature,
Or alternatively drill a couple of holes in the thermostat casing?

What are your commonly hottest and coldest temperatures where you live?

Coldest: 18*C, Warmest 30*C
A Thermostat costs Around $50 where I live, and changing it took a very long time, the bolts we worn out. That's not accounting for the damage it causes by getting stuck closed.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »

That reasoning is about the same as not running a fuel filter because it can get clogged...

To answer your question, there are many maps that incorporate coolant temp. But at 80* the ecu should function the same as at 90* for as far I have seen in my files...

KasperH

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »

Coldest: 18*C, Warmest 30*C
A Thermostat costs Around $50 where I live, and changing it took a very long time, the bolts we worn out. That's not accounting for the damage it causes by getting stuck closed.

That's not a hotter climate (max) than where I live, and I have almost never experienced the problems that you describe. And the engineers have tested the cars in more extreme climates.

Always replace old bolts, it makes everything easier on yourself the next time Smiley

$50? Where do you live?

Thermostats rarely fail because of the simple way they're made. So if it fails it's either shit quality parts or really really old. Don't get me wrong they do fail, and I have experienced a couple of them myself, but they're far apart Smiley

Do you run just straight water in your cooling system of antifreeze mix? Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:26:15 AM by KasperH » Logged
dokalanyi

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »

That reasoning is about the same as not running a fuel filter because it can get clogged...

To answer your question, there are many maps that incorporate coolant temp. But at 80* the ecu should function the same as at 90* for as far I have seen in my files...

Oh, thanks. I run without it for a while an observe. I'll update thread
dokalanyi

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »

That's not a hotter climate (max) than where I live, and I have almost never experienced the problems that you describe. And the engineers have tested the cars in more extreme climates.

Always replace old bolts, it makes everything easier on yourself the next time Smiley

$50? Where do you live?

Thermostats rarely fail because of the simple way they're made. So if it fails it's either shit quality parts or really really old. Don't get me wrong they do fail, and I have experienced a couple of them myself, but they're far apart Smiley

Do you run just straight water in your cooling system of antifreeze mix? Smiley

- I'm not saying the climate ruined the thermostat. Just justifying that I probably don't need one.
- Bought the one that failed off ECS less than 6 months ago
- Unfortunately been runing straight water. Lips sealed Lips sealed (where is the running emoji when you need one?)
- I live in Kampala, Uganda
KasperH

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »

- I'm not saying the climate ruined the thermostat. Just justifying that I probably don't need one.
- Bought the one that failed off ECS less than 6 months ago
- Unfortunately been runing straight water. Lips sealed Lips sealed (where is the running emoji when you need one?)
- I live in Kampala, Uganda

I still just can't understand why your climate would justify removing the thermostat entirely. It has a purpose regardless of climate
Running straight water could very likely cause corrosion in the cooling system which could seize the thermostat.
One of the benefits of antifreeze is that it also inhibits corrosion Smiley
Also water with high content of calcium could possibly cause some problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: