Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New guy, where do I start?  (Read 3105 times)
eMTea

« on: March 21, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »

Hi!

I'm new to nefmoto, but not new to tuning cars (I have a 1.8tq AEB with Megasquirt MS3X and Holset turbo).

I also have an A4 1.8TQ 2000, with APU motor (ECU 4B0 906 018 (no prefix)), as a daily driver. Is this car compatible with nefmoto software?

The thing is:
The car is already tuned (by unknown source) and I feel something is not right.
Car runs ok, but fuel consumption is terrible both measured by the cluster and also by refill/km. Normal day driving is approx 2.1L/10km. I can smell it is pig rich at idle.

The first thing I want to do, is take a good log file, ad check if the MAF is reading correct.

After that, I'd really like to test an original tune file, if that is possible.

BR, Magnar from Norway.
dokalanyi

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:24 AM »

Hi!

I'm new to nefmoto, but not new to tuning cars (I have a 1.8tq AEB with Megasquirt MS3X and Holset turbo).

I also have an A4 1.8TQ 2000, with APU motor (ECU 4B0 906 018 (no prefix)), as a daily driver. Is this car compatible with nefmoto software?

The thing is:
The car is already tuned (by unknown source) and I feel something is not right.
Car runs ok, but fuel consumption is terrible both measured by the cluster and also by refill/km. Normal day driving is approx 2.1L/10km. I can smell it is pig rich at idle.

The first thing I want to do, is take a good log file, ad check if the MAF is reading correct.

After that, I'd really like to test an original tune file, if that is possible.

BR, Magnar from Norway.

The AEB and Megasquirt isn't compatible with Nefmoto.

The APU however is. To tune the APU's fuel, you need to convert it to a wideband. The stock APU is a narrowband ECU aka has a narrow band sensor.

Your fuel consumption is likely caused by hardware issues, not the tune.

Read the s4wiki, read every thread in noob questions, and all the pinned threads in the tuning section as a start.
eMTea

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »

No the AEB A4 was just to mention that I'm familiar with the tuning aspect.

I've seen discussion about wideband conversions other places in the forums too, but do you know of a good how to thread about it, do I need a new ECU?

As for the fuel issue. It might be a hardware issue, but all temp sensors read ok values, and then fueling narrows down to injector size and fuel pressure, will check them both. It would just be a good step in my troubleshooting, to load a original base map, to omit a crappy no-name tune for all I know.

Is the definition files for APU motors interchangeble? my ECU part nr does not have any letters on the end 4B0 906 018, while other defintion files i can find ends with two letters.
dokalanyi

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »

No the AEB A4 was just to mention that I'm familiar with the tuning aspect.

I've seen discussion about wideband conversions other places in the forums too, but do you know of a good how to thread about it, do I need a new ECU?

As for the fuel issue. It might be a hardware issue, but all temp sensors read ok values, and then fueling narrows down to injector size and fuel pressure, will check them both. It would just be a good step in my troubleshooting, to load a original base map, to omit a crappy no-name tune for all I know.

Is the definition files for APU motors interchangeble? my ECU part nr does not have any letters on the end 4B0 906 018, while other defintion files i can find ends with two letters.

- To do the wideband conversion you need a new ecu, and O2 sensor. And a few other wires. I'm not sure the DIY is on this forum, but you can Google
- Download some of the other definition files and see if they bring up sensible values for your ecu. Check LDRXN and LAMFA, it's what I do
- There is an auto map locater somewhere on here, by PRJ. Its github link is: https://github.com/prj/me7-tools, it can find for you a few maps in your bin. Then you can use those map addresses, to calculate the offset with another similar file, and then reverse the process ... I probably can't explain it well e.g:

Your APU:
 LDRXN: a
LAMFA: b
KFZW: unknown

Forum APU with known KFZW:
LDRXN: c
KFZW: d

You can do: (c-a) = (d-unknown)
unknown = d-c+a

It's not guaranteed to work.
Pages: [1]
  Print