Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OBDLink cable work with Nefmoto?  (Read 5053 times)
A2Carat

« on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »

**Moved to this forum as I realized I may have posted in the wrong area - apologies**

I am trying to absorb so much new material here and want to learn all this. I have been trying to setup the Nefmoto software and such on the PC and and not having any luck connecting the the car. (B6 1.8t). I am using a OBDLink cable. Nefmoto sees the cable and it has the 235R chip as displayed when you hover over the device drop down menu. Here is an example https://www.mo-co-so.com/OBDLink-Scan-Tool-Universal-OBD-II-327-Interface-p/mcs-sca-lnk-bt.htm. It reads the car with the ProScan software no problem. Nefmoto shows that the device is compatible with the premium version and shows a ChipID. I tried the FTDI drivers. I read that the cable needs to be in 'dumb mode' but don't really understand how to do it without being in the VCDS software itself. NefMoto always says something about echos and such. Is there another way or am I wasting my time? I am trying to use the cables that I already have. If nothing works, so be it, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Any insight? Thank you!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

I read that the cable needs to be in 'dumb mode' but don't really understand how to do it without being in the VCDS software itself.

This only applies to actual VCDS cables, not generic OBD cables.

NefMoto always says something about echos and such. Is there another way or am I wasting my time? I am trying to use the cables that I already have. If nothing works, so be it, but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Any insight? Thank you!

If the cable is truly a ftdi based cable, it should work with nef. It is hard to say whether you are having a cable problem or something else, since some ECUs are notoriously hard to connect to w/o wiring a dedicated kline to them.

The only truly foolproof way to know if it is the cable or your car causing the problem is a bench setup.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
A2Carat

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »

Thank you for the reply. I'll look into what a bench setup entails.

The VCDS cables should be pretty fool proof then? I'll try a proper known good cable.
What do you suggest for a cable?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: