Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: "Dieselgate" TDI ECU 'Defeat Device' Analysis Paper  (Read 20026 times)
prj

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »

Yes you can get cooler EGT with more fuel in a diesel.
But not in a range you can use on the street.
From 10:1 / 15:1 range you can get cooling from extra fuel but will smoke like HELL...
Truck/tractor they do it this  way, but smoke is extreme!

We are talking about street cars here.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »

Exactly, tractorpulling engines run 10:1 AFR and do use the diesel to cool down the pistons/turbine, but just look at how much smoke they produce and it'll be enough to prove how much bullsh!t has been posted here.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Mechsoldier

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »

Exactly, tractorpulling engines run 10:1 AFR and do use the diesel to cool down the pistons/turbine, but just look at how much smoke they produce and it'll be enough to prove how much bullsh!t has been posted here.
You didn't read the article from Banks did you?

I'll spare you the time you don't know what the fuck you're talking about they have the fastest diesel in the world and it doesn't even smoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mechsoldier

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »

Please, keep talking and making an even bigger fool of yourself.
None of your dickwagging is going to make up for your lack of knowledge. Go pick up a book.

To others - the sentences above are validation that this person has no idea how a diesel engine works, let alone has ever tuned one.
You didn't read the article either did you?

What you're talking about has absolutely nothing to do with the fucking design constraints of a diesel engine and everything to do with the fact that the processor speeds in the engine control modules on our vehicles are too slow to run the leaner air-fuel ratios without risking egt and in cylinder temps rising too quickly for the ECM to sense it before damage occurs.

Your tractor pull analogy shows how clueless you are.

Now that we're stepping away from 32-bit processors and starting to go to processors running 250 megahertz or more it's absolutely possible and there are plenty of people doing it.

Gasoline cars used to smoke too as they were tuned for more power. We were using narrow band sensor initially that could only be sampled 10 times per second and then on me 7 we now have a wideband sensor that can be sampled a hundred times per second and the newer ECM can check it a thousand times per second.

That means that you can run the leaner mixtures and not have to worry about needing to dump fuel for cooling reasons.

You're discussing limitations of the engine management system and not the engine and you're pretty smug about it for somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, to somebody who has the tools, skills, and access to CNC machines to build an engine from scratch if I wanted to.

I didn't sit out for it to be a dick wagging contest at all, but when somebody says that an engine can't make Power without black smoke which is a symptom of incomplete combustion which means you sent fuel through the engine without even utilizing all of its energy, then ya I'm going to back it up.

Your statement is literally diesels can't make power without running so much fuel that they can't burn it all.

See how fucking stupid that sounds? Black smoke is hydrocarbons it is literally wasted energy it's not necessary at all.

It's a stupid as saying you can't fill your coffee cup up all the way unless coffee is overflowing and running down the sides.

Or saying that you can't eat enough to fill your stomach unless you're vomiting some of it back up.

If a diesel smoking under power it means that shitty engine design that inefficient, like the Chevy diesels in the 80s, or means that the tuner either lacks of the knowledge or hardware to provide enough sensor resolution to be able to confidently add only the amount of fuel that it needed without risking the EGTs going too high.

It means you are exceeding the maximum amount of air that the turbo can push into the engine and still continuing to add fuel.

And as the article states, the vehicles did actually fucking pick up more power while getting better fuel better fuel economy.

An engine is a heat pump it needs as much heat as it can get without melting components so if the result of adding more fuel is cooling down egts it means that you are wasting energy, the EGT is cooler because the fuel is not burning completely.

How can you possibly fucking say that a HEAT PUMP makes more power if you feed it less heat?

There's only one of us here that fires off emails to the CEO of Conti Rein Pentosin, and is immediately contacted by their head of engineering to improve the product the same day and it ain't you.

You're a know nothing know it all.
Mechsoldier

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »

Because you need a controlled environment to have repeatable data. It is the same with car manufacturer fuel consumption numbers, that also come from controlled environment testing. If you dont use a controlled environment, it is impossible to verify or compare data. Data would vary from day to day.
The thing about it that doesn't make sense there is that if you work at a dealership, you'll notice that the MFA on the vehicle's pretty much all read the same.

The fuel economy estimates on vehicle stickers are widely known to be incorrect on nearly every single vehicle.

I understand that what you're saying is the idea behind it but it doesn't make sense to make the claim that were using repeatable test because it's more accurate yet it doesn't ever matchup against the real world.

Their logic behind it is that people have different driving Styles so yes they want to mandate the conditions under which they give the fuel estimates so that they don't get different driving styles getting different fuel economy.

In reality though it doesn't matter whether it's a gasoline engine or a diesel engine Peabody that works in a high-volume dealership that specializes in one make of car will tell you that there's basically only two different numbers that will show up on the vehicles coming in and that's for the people to drive conservatively and the people that drive more aggressively.

So for example on a common rail diesel if you take a hundred of them coming through the shop and compare the readings 75 of them will be getting 44 miles per gallon and 25 of them will be getting 38 miles per gallon. Obviously it's not right on the button what I'm talking they vary from each other by less than 1 mile per gallon meaning the higher mileages will run from 43 and a half to 44 and a half and the more aggressive drivers will range from 37 and a half to 38 and a half and almost all of them will be within that range.

I don't know what the exact answer is but I'm just saying that the fuel economy estimates don't match up so the repeatability of the test is great but they need to get the test to the point where the repeatability actually mirrors what real world drivers do.

For the diesel vehicles that basically means that they need to change the RPM ranges so that they don't go quite as high or something to get that number closer to what they really see in real life.

And the alh engines were the same way the automatics got like 40 MPGs and the manuals got like 40 for 45 across-the-board pretty much.

KasperH

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:35 AM »

An engine is a heat pump it needs as much heat as it can get without melting components so if the result of adding more fuel is cooling down egts it means that you are wasting energy, the EGT is cooler because the fuel is not burning completely.

How can you possibly fucking say that a HEAT PUMP makes more power if you feed it less heat?

This makes me question if you have ever done any engine tuning?
Mechsoldier

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »

It makes me question if you understand how an engine works or think maybe...just MAYBE you should do some research before calling somebody out when you don't know what you're talking about.

"In general terms, the larger the difference in temperature between the hot source and the cold sink, the larger is the potential thermal efficiency of the cycle. On Earth, the cold side of any heat engine is limited to being close to the ambient temperature of the environment, or not much lower than 300 kelvins, so most efforts to improve the thermodynamic efficiencies of various heat engines focus on increasing the temperature of the source, within material limits. The maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine (which no engine ever attains) is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold ends divided by the temperature at the hot end, all expressed as absolute temperatures (in kelvins)."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine

KasperH

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »

I'm not saying that you never have or don't know anything about it.

That paragraph just makes it sound like a hot engine with with high IAT and high EGT would make more power than a operating temp engine with cool IAT and moderate EGT.

I know that a hotter gas expands more rapidly than its colder counterpart, and therefore would make more power on the power stroke. But as you say yourself "within limitations" and we can extend that limit with the excess fuel cooling the combustion chamber and EGT.

And if I'm totally of, then Fuck it.
Mechsoldier

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

I'm not saying that you never have or don't know anything about it.

That paragraph just makes it sound like a hot engine with with high IAT and high EGT would make more power than a operating temp engine with cool IAT and moderate EGT.

I know that a hotter gas expands more rapidly than its colder counterpart, and therefore would make more power on the power stroke. But as you say yourself "within limitations" and we can extend that limit with the excess fuel cooling the combustion chamber and EGT.

And if I'm totally of, then Fuck it.
You want the lowest intake air temperature possible with the highest EGT possible that will not cause the Pistons Rings or valves to melt or otherwise lose their proper metallurgical properties.

For every 11 degrees you can drop your intake air temp you gain approximately about 1% horsepower gain.

The higher the EGT the more the fuel is completing its combustion process while still inside the engine. It sounds counterintuitive because it's based on the ratio to air.

It's like this you can only burn up fuel as you have oxygen molecules for, once the oxygen molecules are depleted in cylinder you can't burn any more fuel.

So once you add fuel past that point you cannot make any more power all it will do is drop your exhaust gas temps because you just lowered the efficiency of the combustion process.

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »

Maybe a bit offtopic, but... I cant believe you are writing all of this text from a mobile phone, do you have some kind of toilet problem or what  Shocked
(original topic is long lost anyway)

Mechsoldier

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

Maybe a bit offtopic, but... I cant believe you are writing all of this text from a mobile phone, do you have some kind of toilet problem or what  Shocked
(original topic is long lost anyway)

Galaxy S8 Plus, I just buy the absolute best cell phone I can ever buy. Google's speech-to-text is phenomenally better than Apples.

Occasionally I will kind of have to go onto my laptop and clean up some of it but for the most part the Galaxy Flagship phones coupled with Google's keyboard and speech to text is fucking awesome.

I used to be an expert on a justanswer.com and I would make like 10 to $15,000 a year as a VW and Audi expert on there and so it just became the necessary thing.

The way that their website is set up the first expert to grab a question gets it and so during peak hours if I didn't have a really fast cell phone I would lose out on maybe a hundred bucks in a day on a busy day and so I just got into the habit of getting a new phone every year so that I could do it as fast as possible from anywhere.

My wife hated it because I was constantly on my phone and she me complaining during dinner that I wouldn't put the phone down and I look up and say why I just made 40 bucks and paid for dinner so oh well.

Eventually the customer equality starting to suffer and also they allowed any mechanic to be an expert in any category and I got sick of the Chevy guys posting in VW and Audi and pissing off the customers when they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and I just ended up ditching the site and starting my own site.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:23:19 PM by Mechsoldier » Logged
KasperH

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »

You want the lowest intake air temperature possible with the highest EGT possible that will not cause the Pistons Rings or valves to melt or otherwise lose their proper metallurgical properties.

For every 11 degrees you can drop your intake air temp you gain approximately about 1% horsepower gain.

The higher the EGT the more the fuel is completing its combustion process while still inside the engine. It sounds counterintuitive because it's based on the ratio to air.

It's like this you can only burn up fuel as you have oxygen molecules for, once the oxygen molecules are depleted in cylinder you can't burn any more fuel.

So once you add fuel past that point you cannot make any more power all it will do is drop your exhaust gas temps because you just lowered the efficiency of the combustion process.

I get stoich combustion, I'm just saying the way you phrased that paragraph made it sound like a hotter engine all the way around would make more power than a colder.

I use the cooling effect of the excess fuel to compensate for my shitty cooling setup Smiley
And for me it works.
adam-

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »

when they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and I just ended up ditching the site and starting my own site.
You should do that here.

Your whole text about MPG calculations is hugely incorrect.  It's based from injector time and is a known constant.  The engine knows how much fuel it has used and how far it has travelled.  That's all there is to it.

The MFA is only incorrect if it has the incorrect scaling, which is always correct from factory.

The rest is also bollocks.
turbojohan

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 02:54:01 AM »

ok, you read some Banks papers.
Good job, it is always good to read as much info as possible.
But...., do you have a lot of expirience with tuning big power diesel engines your self??
I can say i do.. and your posts are not always in touch with reality..
prj

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »

I can say i do.. and your posts are not always in touch with reality..

Put very mildly... he has no idea what he is on about.
He is also on some sort of powertrip. Probably one of the biggest trolls we've had so far on this site.

He will keep posting his pages upon pages of trash though, I gave up on reading it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:17:47 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: