Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Debugging ECU procesor pin to I/O pin  (Read 13366 times)
Jim_Coupe

« on: May 28, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »

Hi,

Im planning on to take an Me7.5 ECU and desolder the processor and replace it with a shield to connect complete diffrent controller that i have. Is it some how possible to debug which pin on the ECU connector that goes to the corresponding I/O on the processor...  For example i want to know which output from the processor controls the injector #1 for example..  The idea is to use the ECU as mainboard as I/O..  Is this possible or is it to hard to do sort this out?
 Grin

E85oholic
Zenerdiode

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »

You may just have to hand trace each PCB track from the output pin on the harness connector, back to the MCU. However, bear in mind the MCU will not drive the pin directly; it will go through some output driver IC (transistor, thyristor etc.) Another pitfall is that some PCBs are multi-layer, so whilst you may trace the top and bottom tracks, it's much more difficult to trace the ones that are sandwiched in between.
nubcake

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »

Good luck.

To give you an approximate idea of what you're looking at: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.0title=
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:51:40 PM by nubcake » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »

If you can't figure this out based on the data sheet of the existing cpu i don't understand what you are asking for.

In general, though, the io pins are the least of your worries. Swapping a non pin compatible cpu on an existing board is a fools errand.  It would be easier to write your own code from scratch for the proper ecu than do that level of trace modification. And even if it was possible, the mess of wires you'd end up with would be completely unreliable.

How do you intend to wire the rest of the pins that are not the same? Do you even have the correct clocks and voltages available?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:11:42 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »

You may just have to hand trace each PCB track from the output pin on the harness connector, back to the MCU. However, bear in mind the MCU will not drive the pin directly; it will go through some output driver IC (transistor, thyristor etc.) Another pitfall is that some PCBs are multi-layer, so whilst you may trace the top and bottom tracks, it's much more difficult to trace the ones that are sandwiched in between.

Yes this was my first concern..  I had an idea to connect an LED to 12v and connect it to an injector pin. Then with a piece of wire connected to ground go by hand and ground the different pins on the processor to se if I get a hit. This is my understanding of how the processor it self works.  Would this be a method of sort of "mapping the pins" ?

Nyet i already have a board that has its own circuit to drive an CPU with its own code and is tunable via online interface. Now I want to try and se what this can do.

E85oholic
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »

Good luck.

To give you an approximate idea of what you're looking at: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.0title=

Thanks nubcake that was something very intresssting..  I also have to learn how map other ECU´s aswell..   This could be awsome if it works.. Smiley

E85oholic
adam-

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 03:01:46 AM »

Injectors will not be driven off the CPU directly - they draw too much current.

How do you plan on grounding out that single injector signal?  IE: how do you stop other sensors/injectors also providing a ground source?
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 03:43:37 AM »

How do you plan on grounding out that single injector signal?  IE: how do you stop other sensors/injectors also providing a ground source?

My plan is to desolder the whole Processor... I have alot of ECU´s i can try and error..   My test plan would be to connect a lamp/LED to 12V and connect it to an INJ pin on the connector then eiter send 3.3v via the pad or ground... Im not sure if the processor grounds or sends 3.3v  PnP or NpN?

E85oholic
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 03:54:31 AM »

The controller would be an arduino based Speeduino.. This is how the speeduino I/O looks like.
Heres how its tuned aswell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q475JN-t63E.

I have tested this and made a DIY mainboard.. but it would be sick to use existing ECU board and harness.. Mainly to use with older engines as a very cheap alternative to standalone ECU,.

Pin #   Function
1   Injector 1 - Pin 1/2
2   Injector 2 - Pin 1/2
3   Injector 3 - Pin 1/2
4   Injector 3 - Pin 2/2
5   Injector 4 - Pin 1/2
6   Injector 4 - Pin 2/2
7   Ignition 1
8   Ignition 4
9   Ground
10   Ground
11   MAP Sensor (0v-5v)
12   Ground
13   5v
14   Fuel Pump Relay (Gnd)
15   Thermo Fan Relay (Gnd)
16   Low current output 3
17   Low current output 4
18   Low current output 5
19   Coolant (CLT)
20   Inlet Air Temp (IAT)
21   O2 Sensor
22   TPS input
23   Ground
24   Cam Input / VR2+
25   Crank Input / VR1+
26   VR2- (Not used for hall sensor)
27   VR1- (Not used for hall sensor)
28   5v
29   Idle Stepper 2B
30   Idle Stepper 2A
31   Idle Stepper 1A
32   Idle Stepper 1B
33   Ignition 3
34   Ignition 2
35   Boost
36   Idle 2 (For use with 3 wire idle valves)
37   PWM Idle
38   VVT
39   Injector 2 - Pin 2/2
40   Injector 1 - Pin 2/2
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:02:22 AM by Jim_Coupe » Logged

E85oholic
turbojohan

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

Don't you think it Will be easier to cut the pcb off And solder speeduinio/megasquirt pcb to ecu connector?  If you want to use different processor on me7 pcb you have to define everything on the stock pcb And make it work with new processor.  Way too much work for nothing. For 150/250 euro you buy ms2 based pcb Inc ign And inj mosfets etc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
turbojohan

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-pnp-vw-agu-18t.html

Or buy this And call it a day
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »

Well that would be to easy Smiley   

Atleast i made a try Smiley

E85oholic
nihalot

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »

Are you referring to a ground loop?
I think OP wants to replace the processor alone. So he can still use the injector driver(bosch ic 30344) There is a spec sheet of this chip posted on this forum, it communcates using its own serial interface, if I remember correctly.

@OP- why change the processor? If you're writing your own code on a different micro, why not use the c167 and write the code from scratch?

www.tangentmotorsport.com

multimap/LC/rolling antilag for MED17/EDC17/MED9/EDC15

contact for reverse engineering services of any ECU/TCU
prj

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 01:07:44 AM »

I don't understand why you take this so seriously, OP could not hack his way out of a wet paper bag, much less write any code.
Also, for ME7, at least the ST versions, all the ECU schematics have leaked, so they can be used as a reference, making this thread a waste of time.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:06 AM »

Are you referring to a ground loop?
I think OP wants to replace the processor alone. So he can still use the injector driver(bosch ic 30344) There is a spec sheet of this chip posted on this forum, it communcates using its own serial interface, if I remember correctly.

@OP- why change the processor? If you're writing your own code on a different micro, why not use the c167 and write the code from scratch?

Yes some sort of ground loop.
Use the processor was also an idea but I don't have that deeper knowledge to write a complete new code..  I was thinking to use the already tested and well known Speeduino software as controller. It uses an ARM processor with the code already tested and can be used with TunerStudio. But not sure if it will work.

Yesterday i desoldered the CPU and made a test to see if I could managed to set an INJ out. But didn't manage to get any results. I think the issue was that i didn't have all the needed 12V and GND connected to the connector. This is needed to drive the output drivers (I think). Need a better wiring diagram.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:12:33 AM by Jim_Coupe » Logged

E85oholic
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: