Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Why cant motronic controlled cars be fast?  (Read 36103 times)
Snow Trooper

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »

Just installed two more processors and picked up 100 wheel, this thread is great. Love you guys.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
vwaudiguy

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »

Just installed two more processors and picked up 100 wheel, this thread is great. Love you guys.

Looking into overclocking my ecu like I do my video card now. Thanks for the hint!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2017, 03:59:22 AM »

How do you adjust the clockspeed limiter in ME7?

Rick

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 06:00:56 AM »

This is why the RS4 B7 is faster than the S4 - two ECU's instead of one...
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »

lol

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
Carsinc

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »

So what I am seeing that is super intresting is how some of the fastest street cars period are now going
to standalone that seems more like me7 with every new option, take the fueltech ft600 for example.
i remember when drive by wire was bad, now its desired everthing about this ecu is based on power management
which is basiclly traction control for the drag strip...
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2017, 07:24:50 AM »

So what I am seeing that is super intresting is how some of the fastest street cars period are now going
to standalone that seems more like me7 with every new option, take the fueltech ft600 for example.
i remember when drive by wire was bad, now its desired everthing about this ecu is based on power management
which is basiclly traction control for the drag strip...

It goes well beyond that... There are people using ECU's to do wild things, far past what most people would think of doing.  Many ECU's now are capable of users/developers adding functions to the ECU's themselves by writing add-on's.

ME7 was well ahead of it's time when it was released... but what people are doing now with stand alone ECU's ME7 could only dream of.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
prj

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »

ME7 was well ahead of it's time when it was released... but what people are doing now with stand alone ECU's ME7 could only dream of.
That is not the case at all.
The system was designed to be in a street car. If you are building a proper drag strip car, of course you need an ECU that has time based control of the engine.

You could use the ME7 hardware and run your own software inside if if you would desire, but it is pointless. It is much better to use the right tool for the job.
If you do any kind of motorsport, then it is very beneficial to have built-in logging to flash memory, real time tuning, perhaps even telemetry.
None of that was a target for the ME7 that was made for street cars.

Bosch has high end motorsport ECU's which can do all that and more. Used by top teams around the world.

Basically what it comes down to is, comparing a dedicated track car to a dedicated dragstrip car and complaining that the dragstrip car does not go around the circuit as well (at all) as the dedicated track car.
Seems ridiculous, but pretty much the same comparison is done every day. If you want motorsport and need specific features, buy an ECU that does the motorsport thing with specific features.
You don't need an ECU with a million different models for everything designed to operate at any altitude and any temperature on thousands of engines over 10+ years with different tolerances. You have your specific car, run in your specific condition. Putting a standard ECU on a motorsport car is usually just needlessly holding it back.

As for the yadda yadda in here. My experience in driving and on the dyno is - it is actually harder to get the same power and behaviour from a standalone. Mostly because you just don't have the ability to calibrate the standalone's knock control as close as the OEM ecu has it, and then you can't run the same timing, because it becomes dangerous. However, this is true mostly on street cars - on dragstrip cars the same fueltech for example can perform much better because you can calibrate by time from start/distance, which no stock ECU has functionality of. I'm not even going to go into the different modes with transbrake, the fact that the ECU also controls the trans and so on. Different world, different ECU's.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:35:05 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

^^^ I agree... I suppose what you said in the your first part of the post is what I was alluding to.

sure you could make your own software for ME7 but that just doesn't make sense beyond simple hacking to what most do as of now (like you).

right tool for the job is critical.  That said, it's hard to achieve the drive ability you get from something as complex as ME7 (and others like it/newer) of course.  But not impossible.  Same goes for knock control, depending on the tools you have at your disposal of course will change the end result quite substantially.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: