Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is there NO discussion about component protection?  (Read 12547 times)
Jeff V.

« on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »

One of my big gripes with my car is being forced to go to a dealer if I want to swap certain parts.  That just bothers me for all sorts of reasons.

The more I look into it, the more confused I get.  Nobody is talking about this system.  Not on this board, or anywhere else.  I can't even find a high level description of how it works, other than "it has to be adapted via a FAZIT link".  It seems like ABrites is the only tool that can work with it at all, and even they don't have it completely figured out.

Maybe it's just because I'm still new to the VAG world, but I'm surprised nobody seems willing to even talk about it, let alone try to crack it.  There's so many talented people and innovative hacks, but CP is like the dragon nobody wants to poke.   Is it because it's just too complex, or are people afraid of legal action from VW?

If it's some crazy complex encryption scheme, fine.  It's just be nice if someone with knowledge of the topic would say so.
Carsinc

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »

What components are we talking about?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »

Please do not use "component protection" unless you are referring to BTS

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

http://www.audi-resource.com/componentprotection.php

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
jimmcgee5

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »

vag brought this in to stop the sale of stolen parts, IE , make you spend more if you want to update the parts in your car , remember that if you buy a cheap part from the guy on the corner or the local car boot sale  , we on;y have ourselves to blame for this , that's why I don't like the section on here on how to defeat , i lost my keys , i got the car with no keys , the dog eat them , it just rings alarm bells , now that I have said that , I am going to lose my 2 sets of keys  Tongue
aef

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »

There is no discussion because people make money with this.
Most of the other boards have threads where people have access to GEKO and selling their service.

H2Deetoo

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »

I would like to start this discussion.
I know a little about CP protection with the cluster (which seems to be the master) and the Discovery Media (radio unit).
Once they're both authorized by the dealer tool, they both write some crypted data into their internal eeproms.

This data contains atleast some unique ID from the counterpar, so they can only work together, you can't swap them.

So there are basically 2 ways to bypass this:
1) Find out what is stored in each devices eeprom, and how it is crypted, so you can write the correct data yourself.
2) Find out what commands to send to the master (and slaves) so that they write the correct data to their internal eeprom. These data use challenge responses and have crypted data blocks as well.

Rgs H2Deetoo

Jeff V.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:38:52 AM »

I've found some Audi and VW SSPs that say the J533 CAN Gateway is the CP master.  Every time terminal 15 comes on, it compares the CP data in each participating module to the data it has in its EEPROM.  If it doesn't match, the offending modules throw a component protection error, and go to a low or no functionality mode.

That's the only concrete info I have. Nobody is willing or able to say how the EEPROM data is generated, or what the communication flow between modules looks like. 

Cars like mine are going on 10 years old now.  I'm willing and able to do my own repairs and retrofits with used parts, and it's absurd that I'm forced to pay a dealer a $150 (or more) "tax" to do nothing more than activate parts that I legally own. 

Ideally, there'd be a custom gateway reflash that just kills the system entirely.
aef

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:10 PM »

This should be the cheapest tool for the job.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.car-commander.tk%2F

1. buy software for 130€
2. trace what its doing
3. reverse engineer the software

KasperH

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »

Is there anybody who would like to jump down that rabbit hole if I buy the software?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d3zbnz/the-government-wants-to-permanently-legalize-the-right-to-repair

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
cherry

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:05 AM »

Car-commander is fake, dont buy it!!!
It´s a big cheat, they even write experience in some boards to make the fake perfect. There was a lot of person cheated...
cherry

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 02:23:16 AM »

Anyway there are a lot of different kinds of CP. For your car(i think A6 2007?!?) you can use AVDI for some modules. Most you have to open and read eeprom, and less OBD. For some other CP, for example A4 air condition from 2002-> it´s just done by write some value to adaptions channel and it will be learned, even VCDS can do it, and its even documentated inside VCDS. Latest PQ35 with Discover infotainmant and CP is only between instrument cluster and infotainment. It´s same if you would say "how adapt immo in vw/audi..." You cannot give a answer because there are too many generations. You have to look to exact the car type you have, and other model will be different again...
I think CP from PQ35 infotainment, MQB and A6 2012-> and similar cars are not possible with any tool in the moment...
Jeff V.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:07 AM »

My focus is on the B8, since that's what I have.   It seems like Audi introduced a lot of new stuff on the B8, including the online-only Gen 5 immobilizer. 

It'd be nice to completely crack CP and be able to properly adapt the modules, but I'm fine with just disabling it too. 

I'm willing to do some experiments on my own car, and I've bought a pile of parts from eBay to build an extensive bench test kit. 

This all started because I want to install the MMI 3G+ system in my car, and that means doing CP removal for at least 4 modules.  I really, really do not want to involve a dealer in this. 

Reverse engineering stuff is more fun anyway.
tscheiern_80

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 10:02:32 AM »

Hello guys. To add to this component protection thread was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. I have a ccm module from Audi a6 4f. I need to decode this because it is under component protection in my car and I need to see where I can input my gateway info. I'll post what I have here if someone can help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: