Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Semi-bricked my ECU? Audi A4 B6 1.8t AVJ  (Read 3295 times)
juhap

« on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »

Hello! I am quite new with this forum and have been using NefMoto and KKL cable for short time to read and flash tuned files in my ECU successfully. My car is an Audi A4 B6 1.8t with AVJ engine and has quite a lot miles in it. Lately it has been every now and then throwing an DTC code "P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold". Despite the DTC code it passed emission tests without any problems in inspection so I decided to "save" some money and just to numb rear O2 sensor to get rid of the annoyingly glowing engine light.

I wrote a new file which had some changes on AHKAT values on my ECU and later on realized that it was not apparently properly checksumed. Flashing process succeeded without any errors and I was able to start and run my engine after flashing without any problems. Next morning tried to again start my car, but it did not start. It was only cranking and the radiator fan was blowing like hell. I tried to connect with Nefmoto and VCDS, but either could not make connection.  

After disconnecting the ground from my battery and resetting the ECU I am able to start my engine again. I am also able to now connect with Nefmoto and VCDS when the engine is running, but when I stop the engine I lose the connection and it requires another disconnection of battery if I want to start my engine or to have software connected.

My noob question is now, that are there two different memories in my ECU which I have partly bricked? Can I re-write my ECU while the engine is running as that is the only possibility to have connection to ECU or do I need to invest in Galletto and rewrite with original healthy file in boot mode?

/Juha

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:34:50 AM by juhap » Logged
Mikhail

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »

Flash bootmode with that your KKL cable and the galletto program which can found this forum.
adam-

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:17:02 AM »

What happens if you disconnect the battery and then try and connect, and not start it?

If that doesn't work, bootmode.  It's not as simple a process as just flashing though; it should be known.
juhap

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »

It's quite interesting, every time after disconnecting the battery car starts, but on the second time I turn ignition ECU gets frozen and there is no response whatsoever. 

Anyway after disconnecting battery again, I was able to connect with Nefmoto and flash correctly checksumed file and everything is back to normal. Also not throwing DTC's so far. This time it did not require Galletto and bootmode. I have to learn those for the next time when things get messed up.   

I feel like an idiot, but a happy one.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: