Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Bricked it  (Read 8579 times)
opticaltrigger

« on: July 16, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

Hi all,
Well as it says,I bricked it.

I'm not to upset about it really.What I mean is that Iv'e done a few flashes to my ecu now and never had a problem.
I started with a cat & rear O2 delete,then a SAI delete,then a new LAMFA with SAI delete.All great.

Spured on with enthusiasm and now having my fuel curve where I wanted it I modified LDRXN and loaded it back up.Car started rite up and I went out to log a WOT pull.
On the way to the road I do my pulls on a few squirts of the loud pedal showed great promise and all felt great.Then on the last sqeeze of the throttle boost starts surging and multiple miss fire's continuously, feeling like it's only on three cylinders.Engine malfunction lamp flashing about once a second.

Sopped the car,cleared the fault codes.Still no change.
So I remembered that I had zeroed CDKAT and thought well I'll just put it back to 1 and load it up again and see what happens.
Bricked..!!!!!!   And that was it.Cant connect to it at all now with anything and the traction control light is on permanently.
Well I've allready got my hands on a replacement 06A906032DR ecu along with the cluster,two keys and the transponder.

Thing is I really want to know why it happened.
I did it all rite,Check summed it first,connected it to a battery charger,etc,etc and never had a problem before.

Any thoughts guy's ?
All the very best
O.T.

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
gsfesz

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »

Hi all,
Well as it says,I bricked it.

I'm not to upset about it really.What I mean is that Iv'e done a few flashes to my ecu now and never had a problem.
I started with a cat & rear O2 delete,then a SAI delete,then a new LAMFA with SAI delete.All great.

Spured on with enthusiasm and now having my fuel curve where I wanted it I modified LDRXN and loaded it back up.Car started rite up and I went out to log a WOT pull.
On the way to the road I do my pulls on a few squirts of the loud pedal showed great promise and all felt great.Then on the last sqeeze of the throttle boost starts surging and multiple miss fire's continuously, feeling like it's only on three cylinders.Engine malfunction lamp flashing about once a second.

Sopped the car,cleared the fault codes.Still no change.
So I remembered that I had zeroed CDKAT and thought well I'll just put it back to 1 and load it up again and see what happens.
Bricked..!!!!!!   And that was it.Cant connect to it at all now with anything and the traction control light is on permanently.
Well I've allready got my hands on a replacement 06A906032DR ecu along with the cluster,two keys and the transponder.

Thing is I really want to know why it happened.
I did it all rite,Check summed it first,connected it to a battery charger,etc,etc and never had a problem before.

Any thoughts guy's ?
All the very best
O.T.

I am not versed enough to make an informed decision as to why your ECU became "bricked".  However there is a very good possibility you can reflash your ECU in boot mode to bring it back to life.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »

Hi gsfesz,
I tried that one.Soldered the wire in and went rite trough the whole procedure to the letter of the instructions but I can't get it into boot mode at all.No matter what I tried I could not find a way to communicate with it.Terrible...

I really thought I would be able to boot mode it to.In fact,there was a small bit of me was quite pleased to get the chance to try boot mode out.
Perhaps I damaged it in some way.
It would be good to know though so I can try to avoid it in future.

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
gsfesz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »

Hi gsfesz,
I tried that one.Soldered the wire in and went rite trough the whole procedure to the letter of the instructions but I can't get it into boot mode at all.No matter what I tried I could not find a way to communicate with it.Terrible...

I really thought I would be able to boot mode it to.In fact,there was a small bit of me was quite pleased to get the chance to try boot mode out.
Perhaps I damaged it in some way.
It would be good to know though so I can try to avoid it in future.

All the best
O.T.

It is very unlikely that you damaged your ECU. Are you attempting to boot mode your ECU in car or on the bench? Also no soldering is required just grounding out pin 21 on the ECU to side of the ECU.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »

Do not do any soldering for boot mode.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »

Thanks gsfesz and Nyet,after a bit more study I've grasped what your saying.

Just as a bit of an update.It was me....I carelessly flashed an un-summed file. 
I rigged up a bench harness and went for boot mode again but it just comes up in Galletto as "boot mode is not initialized".
And Neff wont qualify it's in boot either.Maybe it really is done?

I should get delivery of the replacement ecu tomorrow so great,but I still would like to get a handle on what the problem could be here.
Any more thoughts from anyone on this would be great.

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »

There is very little that can go wrong to prevent bootmode, no matter what the flash content, short of physical damage to the ECU itself.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »

Yes,it's very strange Nyet.
But for now I just finished installing my replacement cluster and ecu and keys....And the first thing it's done is immo activated.
Why would that be,all the those components are supposed to be from one vehicle......ebay.

Anyway,I see Immo off as the next lasson now.It's a good thing I like all this.
Any pointers would be great guy's.

All the very best
O.T.

Voltaire
adam-

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »

Sounds like they're lying to you.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »

I think so to adam.
All the same,I'm still having fun and it's a great hobby.

As things stand at the moment Iv'e refitted my stock cluster,key, etc and effectively all I have now is a replacement ecu of the same part number (06A906032DR).

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
4ringpieces

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

If you bricked it, pull the dash fuse if trying to boot mode in car.

Also if using mpps and your having trouble use "slow" mode

Only once have I killed a me7.5 dicking about and it fried the chip, swapped from another flashed known good file etc all ok.

Maybe your boot mode method is bad?

Earth boot pin recommend the solder blob a little away from chip (follow trace from pin you'll see)

Ignition on, wait 5 seconds disconnect Earth on boot pin. Do not ID or Read ecu, Only click Write then use  known good file.

opticaltrigger

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »

If you bricked it, pull the dash fuse if trying to boot mode in car.

Also if using mpps and your having trouble use "slow" mode

Only once have I killed a me7.5 dicking about and it fried the chip, swapped from another flashed known good file etc all ok.

Maybe your boot mode method is bad?

Earth boot pin recommend the solder blob a little away from chip (follow trace from pin you'll see)

Ignition on, wait 5 seconds disconnect Earth on boot pin. Do not ID or Read ecu, Only click Write then use  known good file.

Hi there,
Well,I did it on the bench with a lashed together harness and a nice power supply.I followed the wiring diagram exactly,and did exactly the procedure you described.
I must have tried 10 times.But no boot mode at all.
I read the tutorial on here about m-prog and the Galletto thing.I downloaded and used HxD recovered the relevent data,which is as per the tutorial and m-prog'ed it to my cable.All that went well.But,really I just cannot get into boot.
I really do think it's done.

I will try again tomorrow. But,really I would just like to get rid of the whole immo thing all together.

All the very best
O.T.

Voltaire
_nameless

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »

Hi there,
Well,I did it on the bench with a lashed together harness and a nice power supply.I followed the wiring diagram exactly,and did exactly the procedure you described.
I must have tried 10 times.But no boot mode at all.
I read the tutorial on here about m-prog and the Galletto thing.I downloaded and used HxD recovered the relevent data,which is as per the tutorial and m-prog'ed it to my cable.All that went well.But,really I just cannot get into boot.
I really do think it's done.

I will try again tomorrow. But,really I would just like to get rid of the whole immo thing all together.

All the very best

O.T.

exactly what are you trying to do when putting it into boot mode? you should be grounding the boot pin on the eprom or solder pad for 8 seconds or so while powering up the ecu. youre grounding the pin on the processor so it boots in boot mode haha boot boot. anyway wonce you do this you should be good to write. ohhhhhhhh also make sure you right click and run as administrator. I think i can recall a issue like this because windows wasnt allowing it to have control over the com port? idk worth a shot
best luck.
marty
p.s. might consider the chance of that ecu being shorted?   

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
opticaltrigger

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »

exactly what are you trying to do when putting it into boot mode? you should be grounding the boot pin on the eprom or solder pad for 8 seconds or so while powering up the ecu. youre grounding the pin on the processor so it boots in boot mode haha boot boot. anyway wonce you do this you should be good to write. ohhhhhhhh also make sure you right click and run as administrator. I think i can recall a issue like this because windows wasnt allowing it to have control over the com port? idk worth a shot
best luck.
marty
p.s. might consider the chance of that ecu being shorted?   

Exactly as you just described Marty.
But I didn't do the admin bit.I will get the stuff out and try again as administrator tonight.

Many thanks.
O.T.

Voltaire
opticaltrigger

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »

Nope,tried it again just now and exactly the same thing.  "Boot mode is not initialized".

As a breakdown of where I'm at with it.
I've got the 47514789 into the cable and I've tried with two cables,but still No.
The harness and methodology,I've double and triple checked and I'm 100% satisfied that it's correct.

So,do the electronically minded of you out there think this could be a physical problem on the board?
I've really checked across the board on both sides thoroughly,but I cannot see any obvious signs of damage.
Are there any components or areas that could be damaged?,Are the electrolytic's on the board usually problem free?.(just thinking out load really)

I'm not adversed to a bit of fault finding and I've got a fairly decent scope here and a decent meter.Perhaps the more knowledgeable out there would have any thought's.

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: