Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: confused about compatibility  (Read 7787 times)
dilly

« on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »

my friend has a file(with no read protection- 06A906032HN)
and from my understanding that is for an audi a3 1.8t? auq
but he is running it on a 2002 jetta.
should i just write it to my spare ecu and see if it runs my awp?

someone help me out please
adam-

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »

You should make your own file.
dilly

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »

You should make your own file.
that's not the point.... i am just experimenting and looking for answers to a question
KasperH

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

You asked a question and got a answer, why are you rejecting that answer?

As you state yourself, the tune is for a AUQ and you want to run it on a AWP.
That should be a instant red flag.

If you really wanted to be lazy and just copy the tune,
mirror the changes from that file(AWP) in your own(AUQ) file.

But then why not just write your own tune instead of copying a commercial tune?
Commercial tunes are made with the lowest common denominator in mind
so it will never fully take advantage of the hardware.
adam-

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:25:03 AM »

Experiment and let us know if it works.

Make sure you can bootmode and have a backup.
gman86

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 04:59:21 AM »

Experiment and let us know if it works.

Make sure you can bootmode and have a backup.

Also make sure you know how to boot mode your rods and pistons in case they decide to stop playing ball.
adam-

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:11:40 AM »

Can a different file make them go backwords?
gman86

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:25:10 AM »

Can a different file make them go backwords?

There's a couple of 2 stroke calibrations kicking around that'll let them run backwards and activate the dormant oil injectors.
dilly

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »

lol i dont even know why i ask.
the question was are the files interchangeable between engines?
he has a 032hn that should be in an a3 1.8t but he has it in his 2002 jetta which should be awp... why does that work....ecufix says the engine is for skoda/ocatavia if that matters
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:44:29 AM by dirtnasty » Logged
KasperH

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »

Seat Leon/Toledo also has this engine. I believe the 20 AE golf gti also has this ecu Smiley
dilly

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »

Seat Leon/Toledo also has this engine. I believe the 20 AE golf gti also has this ecu Smiley

alright im trying to get his month and date his car was made to determine the engine code to see why he has auq software on apparently an awp
316LV

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »

I've flashed 032HN (-Adam's old Stage Bleh file: Thanks man!) to my 2002 Jetta with an AWP (032HS). Works fine. Put 30k on it as my daily driver while figuring out how to tune my own file.

They are both VAG100 Ecus with a 5.12 bootrom. 032HN 0001 s/w and the 032HS 0006 s/w have identical map locations as well (use the same .xdf/.kp) so it doesn't get much closer than that for crossflashing...

Edit: I see you are also asking why it works. Well VAG has different families of ECU (same architecture, processor, I/O, etc.) that are installed in various cars in their product line (VW, Skoda, Seat, etc.). So the real determining factor for compatibility isn't the marque or vehicle per se, it is if they share the same family of ECU (or one close enough to work in some cases). This case it doesn't matter if the flash is Seat, Audi or VW because the hardware is the same they will interchange.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:33:37 AM by 316LV » Logged

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
dilly

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »

I've flashed 032HN (-Adam's old Stage Bleh file: Thanks man!) to my 2002 Jetta with an AWP (032HS). Works fine. Put 30k on it as my daily driver while figuring out how to tune my own file.

They are both VAG100 Ecus with a 5.12 bootrom. 032HN 0001 s/w and the 032HS 0006 s/w have identical map locations as well (use the same .xdf/.kp) so it doesn't get much closer than that for crossflashing...

Edit: I see you are also asking why it works. Well VAG has different families of ECU (same architecture, processor, I/O, etc.) that are installed in various cars in their product line (VW, Skoda, Seat, etc.). So the real determining factor for compatibility isn't the marque or vehicle per se, it is if they share the same family of ECU (or one close enough to work in some cases). This case it doesn't matter if the flash is Seat, Audi or VW because the hardware is the same they will interchange.

now this is the answer i was looking for

now the finale question...i originally had a 032sm ecu (i have a 2004 gli 6speed) now i have a 032lp file. would i still be alright to test the hn file to see if it runs any better?
316LV

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »

Well the 032LP you are using is VAG102 so it isn't in the same group as the HN. That isn't far off though, and as they have the same bootrom (5.12) there is a good chance it will work.

I searched and couldn't find anyone who has crossflashed that combination specifically. You will have to test it to be sure. If you don't have a way to bootmode flash your original back should something go wrong, I wouldn't risk it personally. But the choice is yours.

You could get another ECU off eBay to play with so you don't brick yours. That is what I did when I started. I never had to use my original (backup ECU) but its cheap insurance when learning to flash/tune. Cost me $80 shipped.

Alternately you could read your buddy's bin and compare the changes to an original of the same software. You can then apply the same changes to the maps of your file. More work but then it is guaranteed not to brick your ECU if you use the software that is already on your ECU. I would suggest it as you will start to learn what maps were changed and how. There are a lot of shit tunes floating around, so blindly flashing unknown stuff can lead to issues.

For example, the first tune I flashed to my Jetta was a water/meth tune so the timing was way past what I could run safely. I didn't realize it for a few days as I was struggling to get ME7Logger working. When i did I saw max timing corrections all across the board (12* of CF!). If I'd been running lower octane gas it probably would have killed my engine. I dodged a bullet on that one.

Like I say the choice is yours. Good luck if you do try it. Be sure to report back for anyone searching in the future too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:17:51 PM by 316LV » Logged

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
dilly

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 12:15:19 AM »

Well the 032LP you are using is VAG102 so it isn't in the same group as the HN. That isn't far off though, and as they have the same bootrom (5.12) there is a good chance it will work.

I searched and couldn't find anyone who has crossflashed that combination specifically. You will have to test it to be sure. If you don't have a way to bootmode flash your original back should something go wrong, I wouldn't risk it personally. But the choice is yours.

You could get another ECU off eBay to play with so you don't brick yours. That is what I did when I started. I never had to use my original (backup ECU) but its cheap insurance when learning to flash/tune. Cost me $80 shipped.

Alternately you could read your buddy's bin and compare the changes to an original of the same software. You can then apply the same changes to the maps of your file. More work but then it is guaranteed not to brick your ECU if you use the software that is already on your ECU. I would suggest it as you will start to learn what maps were changed and how. There are a lot of shit tunes floating around, so blindly flashing unknown stuff can lead to issues.

For example, the first tune I flashed to my Jetta was a water/meth tune so the timing was way past what I could run safely. I didn't realize it for a few days as I was struggling to get ME7Logger working. When i did I saw max timing corrections all across the board (12* of CF!). If I'd been running lower octane gas it probably would have killed my engine. I dodged a bullet on that one.

Like I say the choice is yours. Good luck if you do try it. Be sure to report back for anyone searching in the future too.

yeah i am well aware of the risks of doing it and just wanted some extra knowledge like you have given me (extreme knowledge can't thank you enough)
and yes i have a nice clean bench flash set up for bootmode that i made a while back when the seller of my ecu tried helping solve my p0601 issue(idiot used lc/nls script but claimed he wrote it himself...) and thanks to sb_gli and marty they fixed my file. you can search my other topics and check out how bad the tune is compared to other stuff you probably have unless you want me to post or pm you both of my files (my current tune and my friends hn file)

i will set up and figure out how to run me7logger well before i run this file and will report back to this thread
thanks again
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: