Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Golf 6 GTi MED17.5 camshaft timing maps  (Read 7778 times)
NBR

« on: October 27, 2017, 12:09:22 PM »

So this is something I haven't seen discussed much. Has anyone experimented with adjusting the cam timing maps on the 2.0tsi with say a K04 turbo? I've found some cam timing maps on the med17 but none seem to correspond to the camshaft timing that I log. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the names of the maps I could try?
gman86

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »

So this is something I haven't seen discussed much. Has anyone experimented with adjusting the cam timing maps on the 2.0tsi with say a K04 turbo? I've found some cam timing maps on the med17 but none seem to correspond to the camshaft timing that I log. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the names of the maps I could try?

Are you modifying the correct maps? What SW ver? Post the ori
NBR

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »

It's

1K0907115AA
0261S04951
Ver 50

I've been looking at the KFNWSE map, it shows 18, but the car logs 28. I've read that its a reference position and not an actual position so maybe thats the case. I've tried reading a section about it from the FR but it is confusing seeing as i only know English. I see the max allowable limit is 28, but the cam timing maps are all stock.

Here is the original
gman86

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »

It's

1K0907115AA
0261S04951
Ver 50

I've been looking at the KFNWSE map, it shows 18, but the car logs 28. I've read that its a reference position and not an actual position so maybe thats the case. I've tried reading a section about it from the FR but it is confusing seeing as i only know English. I see the max allowable limit is 28, but the cam timing maps are all stock.

Here is the original

One thing I noticed with the Mk6 R software (MED9 though) was that KFNWSE didn't apply when the car was warm. it was KFNWWLE.

I've made a quick map pack with the cam timing maps for your SW. Try modifying KFNWWLE and see if your changes come through
NBR

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »

Dude thank you so much for this, you really didn't have to make a mappack for me. I'm using a Damos i found on this forum to find maps in my file. I will consult the FR to try and understand how these maps work before adjusting them. Then i will try making changes and let you know how it goes. If i get the changes right, i'll test some settings on the dyno and report back with some dyno figures. I'll only be able to flash and test this coming weekend though.

One last question, does a negative value shows cam advance and positive shows retard ? Because looking at the maps that's the way it seems to me, although it could be the other way around

Once again, thank you gman, i really appreciate it
gman86

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »

Dude thank you so much for this, you really didn't have to make a mappack for me. I'm using a Damos i found on this forum to find maps in my file. I will consult the FR to try and understand how these maps work before adjusting them. Then i will try making changes and let you know how it goes. If i get the changes right, i'll test some settings on the dyno and report back with some dyno figures. I'll only be able to flash and test this coming weekend though.

One last question, does a negative value shows cam advance and positive shows retard ? Because looking at the maps that's the way it seems to me, although it could be the other way around

Once again, thank you gman, i really appreciate it

I don't mind making quick map packs like that when folk are trying to help themselves Smiley It's the folk that come in and demand an A2L and to be spoon fed info that I don't enjoy.

They work pretty much like the standard ignition timing maps. RPM x Load axis, positive values are advance, negative are retard. Make sure you've not scaled any of the KFMIOP/KFZWOP etc maps incorrectly, massively underscaled the MAF or entered an insane value in the load axis of cam advance maps.
contrast

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 03:24:08 AM »

All of the camshaft maps I’ve seen have always been negative values for advanced and positive values for retard.
gman86

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »

All of the camshaft maps I’ve seen have always been negative values for advanced and positive values for retard.

When I request 28, VCDS shows 28. I also notice more CF between the higher figures than the lower figures which would suggest they are advanced, rather than retarded angles.
contrast

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »

Log overlap angle and adjust maps. Then you’ll see what is what.
mister t

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »

Just wanted to point out that in order to control cam timing there are 2 sets of maps you need to consider,

First, there is the larger map (don't know what it's called offhand) but it'll usually be 16x18 or 12x16

then there are always another 4 8x16 maps (one set for intake and one set of 4 for the exhaust)

The larger map takes it's cues from the 8x16 maps and they are all interpolated through the larger map.

What I do is make all 5 maps (the 1 16x18 and 4 8x16) look the same, only then can you be assured the cam timing will be responding exactly how you want it to.
NBR

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »

Just wanted to point out that in order to control cam timing there are 2 sets of maps you need to consider,

First, there is the larger map (don't know what it's called offhand) but it'll usually be 16x18 or 12x16

then there are always another 4 8x16 maps (one set for intake and one set of 4 for the exhaust)

The larger map takes it's cues from the 8x16 maps and they are all interpolated through the larger map.

What I do is make all 5 maps (the 1 16x18 and 4 8x16) look the same, only then can you be assured the cam timing will be responding exactly how you want it to.

For the cam control on MED17.5 I can only find a few 12x16 maps. I don't see any 8x16 maps for camshaft. Also it seems like the maps are only for inlet camshaft. Do you maybe have more info on the map names?
mister t

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »

For the cam control on MED17.5 I can only find a few 12x16 maps. I don't see any 8x16 maps for camshaft. Also it seems like the maps are only for inlet camshaft. Do you maybe have more info on the map names?

You'll need to change the maps at 5F23C, 5F30C and 5F3F0. Axes are at 5FFEC (RPM) and 60002 (load) respectively.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: