Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2003 MK4 GTI 1.8t Unable to read ECU  (Read 17907 times)
Slikk

« on: November 10, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »

First of all thanks for the great software. I'm a bit new to all this, just discovered it last night, and haven't been able to get it to work with my car.

I am able to communicate and get ECU info using a blue ebay cable (FTDI), and enter programming mode and exit it again (ignition on/off). However when I try to use the Read ECU function to dump the maps, it fails with the infamous "RequestUpload may have been disabled by aftermarket engine software". But my car has no tune that I am aware of (bought it second hand), and I confirmed that fact today by logging the boost pressure, never went higher than 10.8 psi.

I also tried the me7eeprom.exe (1.40) program, and it fails to communicate with the ECU entirely.

According to VCDS my ECU is 06A906032LP (which is in the supported list), and I made sure to select the appropriate memory layout in NefMoto.

Any ideas? Am I not able to read this ECU via OBDII?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »

"RequestUpload may have been disabled by aftermarket engine software". But my car has no tune that I am aware of (bought it second hand), and I confirmed that fact today by logging the boost pressure, never went higher than 10.8 psi

That does not mean it is stock. Could easily be switchable maps or something else.

Open the ecu and make sure it doensn't have a riser. And if it doesn't, you can flash a stock file using bootmode.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Slikk

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »

Hmm okay good point. Anything I should be aware of before I remove the ECU from the car? Won't wreck anything by disconnecting it?

Not sure what you mean by a riser. And for boot mode I have to do that on a bench right? Or is it possible via OBD2? Thanks.
Slikk

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »

After doing a lot more reading on the forum, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a spare ECU and try to tune with that, and leave my original one alone. I still have to do some more checking but I believe it should be possible to get my SKC with some other tools here, and program the spare ECU with it so the immo is compatible.
SB_GLI

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:45 AM »

I would bet the ecu has a riser board soldered to it, probably old apr garbage.  Remove the ecu and take a look for yourself, it's not difficult to do so.
Slikk

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »

Yup gonna do that later today and report back!
birchbark506

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »

i am trying to read a 2001 mk4 jetta 1.8T with mpps ECU is 06A 906 032 CL would BDM reader work?
Slikk

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:39:22 PM »

So after some difficulty (damn wiper arms are really stuck on there), I have my ECU in front of me. I've removed the 4 screws at the corners but it's resisting any further attempts to come apart. I've already slightly bent the corners trying to pry it open. Is it glued together or something??? Not sure what to do, I don't want to wreck it.
Slikk

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »

There is some black goop holding it together and sealing it up I guess. Made a big mess but got it open. Photos attached. No riser that I can see.

https://i.imgur.com/rFS9UeM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MtmZBCu.jpg
vwaudiguy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »

i am trying to read a 2001 mk4 jetta 1.8T with mpps ECU is 06A 906 032 CL would BDM reader work?

BDM is not used in that ecu.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Slikk

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »

Okay I was able to dump the cluster EEPROM and the ECU EEPROM with some software I found here, and now I have my SKC. However still no luck with reading the ECU's flash. VAG-K+CAN Commander 2.5 will read the ECU's EEPROM with mode 11, but doesn't let me read flash with that mode. Mode 01 fails to read EEPROM and just hangs forever when trying to read flash.

Not sure what has been done to my ECU but time to order a used one from ebay I guess.

Oh and I noticed with NefMoto when I attempt to read the ECU, the CEL and EPC lights go out, and the anti-skid (ASR) light turns on. Anyone have any idea what that's about?
aef

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:31:32 AM »

Interesting, can you please take some screenshots how you managed to read ecu's eeprom with vagkcan?
Slikk

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »

Sure I will do that later today.
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 01:41:16 PM »

youre wasting your time with k-can commander

read procedure probably disabled in this file

if you want to save this tune, you should try to read with bootmode

or just flash stock over it
Slikk

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »

Yeah I agree that the read procedure is disabled, I just don't understand why, especially since it seems to be a stock equivalent tune. I would like to save it just to get a look at it. I am not sure how to do bootmode yet, need to do some more research.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: