Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TFSI higher HPFP pressure in cruise to better MPG?  (Read 4680 times)
curamrdan

« on: November 19, 2017, 06:02:31 AM »

Hello, just have an idea. First 2ltr 147kw TFSI engines have higher(on paper) consumption than newer 2.0 TSI 155kw engines. One of main changes is higher fuel pressure(110bar to 150bar, the peak values). So did anybody try tries to set higher pressure(as much as possible,even use RS4 prv) in cruise rpm/load area on TFSI engines + compensate to correct lambda , to reach better MPG ?
prj

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:40:50 AM »

The amount of ignorance in this sentence baffles me.
Not only do you not understand engines, you do not understand mixture control in MED9.

Short answer - NO POINT. As to why, do some reading.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
curamrdan

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »

I tried to be humble, so i put my question to Noob section..... no matter, i was burned to hell anyway Sad

I asked if anybody tried it in real. Your confidence is from teoretical knowledge only, so ok its probably obvious fact = you dont wasted time by doing it. Are you willing to point me where i can read it?
prj

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »

I tried to be humble, so i put my question to Noob section..... no matter, i was burned to hell anyway Sad
And you deserved it bigtime, because you spout crap like this:
Your confidence is from teoretical knowledge only
Without having any idea about my background.

I answered your question. Pick up a book about engines and EFI and read the basics.
And then open the MED9 FR and read how IPW is calculated. Not my fault if you are lazy and want everything served to you on a silver platter instead of doing some reading.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:53:52 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
cherry

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »

You are talking about MED9 147kKW and MED17 155KW engine? These engines are completely different hardware, open the engine hood and you see it immediately. It´s EA113 and EA888...
curamrdan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »

PRJ: i expect you pick only "negative" what i wrote. It was writed and meaned only strictly to rise pressure inside cruising condition, nothing else. Sorry if i make you angry about that, i probably wrote it bit akward.

Cherry: of course, i pick the "difference" between them, which can be changed on the older one. As engineers have an reason why rised the pressure, but i asked in the end, if its to lower MPG or for something else.

prj

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

I already told you that pressure has no direct correlation with fuel efficiency.
If you do not understand why, then read about DI systems and how/why pressure is set in the first place.

I'll give you a hint - it is to do with IPW / injection duration / optimal angle.
By blindly increasing pressure in cruise area you will always worsen fuel consumption.

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

If fuel pressure magically increased fuel economy, why wouldn't everyone just increase fuel pressure until all cars magically had infinite fuel economy?

Where did you get the idea that increasing fuel pressure would give you better fuel economy? What mechanism would give this result?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:02:18 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:46:38 AM »

More pressure more better?
vwaudiguy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

I'm going to guess maybe he thought higher pressure = better injector atomization = more power with less fuel.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

I'm going to guess maybe he thought higher pressure = better injector atomization = more power with less fuel.

atomization is a complex thing; the trick isn't more or less pressure, but the right pressure.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »

atomization is a complex thing; the trick isn't more or less pressure, but the right pressure.

Agree. It's not just the pressure, but everything else involved between that pressure and the cylinder. Just guessing his train of thought.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: