Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massive ignition retard on BWA engine 2.0 TFSI Golf 5 GTI MED9.1  (Read 8249 times)
uhuhart

« on: November 29, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »

Hi,

first let me introduce myself.
For about one year i figured out how to tune MED9.1 using Nefmoto Forum, the Funktionsrahmen, S4Wiki and my own Car,  Audi A6 with BPJ 2.0 TFSI engine Grin. Now i´ve got a big experience by doing this on my "Test Car" step for step, value for value and many many flashes and logs Smiley
Now i´m happy with that tune-the engine runs really great.
So i took this experience and tranfered it two times on Golf 5 GTI with AXX engine. After some tries and some corrections that 2 Golf GTI runs great as well. I´m noob, but i think i got it mostly under control-mostly..and there for i need your help:

First: i use on all cars 95 octane. All cars are stock.
Now i´ve got another Golf 5 GTI with the BWA!! engine. All values in the ECU are very similar to that one in the ECU from the AXX engine and the engine itself is also very similar. I know there are different pistons and a little bit lower compression. So this engine should be perfect to give it more power.
The problem is, even if i give just a little bit more load, approx 10-15%, the ignition retards very hard and goes to the limit of -12deg. up from 2500 1/min. till approx 4500 1/min. When i give much more load, the retard goes to -12% and you can "hear" the knock directly from the engine. I know this is very bad Shocked
I tried many things to get this under control-lowered ignition timing, lowered Lambda, reduced load in this areas, so i could fix it a little bit, but with all that changes, the power falls down nearly to stock power.
Even if i use the stock values, there is no ignition retard or max. around -2 deg. I think this is typical.
In stock, the engine runs really well up to redline.
So the question: is there a known issue that causes extreme sensitive knock at this engine? Is there such a big difference in tuning AXX and BWA engine? Maybe i´m blind and forgot something.
Sorry for bad english, hope you understand my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Armin

gman86

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

Logs at a minimum, ori and mod file would be useful
gt-innovation

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »

Hi,

first let me introduce myself.
For about one year i figured out how to tune MED9.1 using Nefmoto Forum, the Funktionsrahmen, S4Wiki and my own Car,  Audi A6 with BPJ 2.0 TFSI engine Grin. Now i´ve got a big experience by doing this on my "Test Car" step for step, value for value and many many flashes and logs Smiley
Now i´m happy with that tune-the engine runs really great.
So i took this experience and tranfered it two times on Golf 5 GTI with AXX engine. After some tries and some corrections that 2 Golf GTI runs great as well. I´m noob, but i think i got it mostly under control-mostly..and there for i need your help:

First: i use on all cars 95 octane. All cars are stock.
Now i´ve got another Golf 5 GTI with the BWA!! engine. All values in the ECU are very similar to that one in the ECU from the AXX engine and the engine itself is also very similar. I know there are different pistons and a little bit lower compression. So this engine should be perfect to give it more power.
The problem is, even if i give just a little bit more load, approx 10-15%, the ignition retards very hard and goes to the limit of -12deg. up from 2500 1/min. till approx 4500 1/min. When i give much more load, the retard goes to -12% and you can "hear" the knock directly from the engine. I know this is very bad Shocked
I tried many things to get this under control-lowered ignition timing, lowered Lambda, reduced load in this areas, so i could fix it a little bit, but with all that changes, the power falls down nearly to stock power.
Even if i use the stock values, there is no ignition retard or max. around -2 deg. I think this is typical.
In stock, the engine runs really well up to redline.
So the question: is there a known issue that causes extreme sensitive knock at this engine? Is there such a big difference in tuning AXX and BWA engine? Maybe i´m blind and forgot something.
Sorry for bad english, hope you understand my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Armin

AXX is a different story.... Higher compression - Different Pistons etc... You need to work with your timing...For starters lower it a lot especially with 95 octane... i didn`t go through you post because it is too big for the time i have however start with your ignition tables.
gman86

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »

AXX is a different story.... Higher compression - Different Pistons etc... You need to work with your timing...For starters lower it a lot especially with 95 octane... i didn`t go through you post because it is too big for the time i have however start with your ignition tables.

TL;DR for you

His A6 with 10.3:1 works fine (BPJ, basically BWA)
Golf GTI with 10.5:1 works fine (AXX)
Golf GTI with 10.3:1 sees massive CF on slight load increase (BWA)
uhuhart

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »

Thanks a lot for answering,

here are my files..sorry no logs at the moment.
i forgot one important thing: the CF´s happen on all cylinders in similar intensity. -12 deg. and then the ECU reduce the load for safty.
In the tune file you can see how i´ve tried to get it under control: lowered Ignition tables, load is not that high-i lowered it a lot in the middle section, lowered LAMFA to get much more fuel in the middle section.
For Example: the load in my tune for AXX is up to 170% in the middle section. And there is no knock. If i do 150 % on the BWA, the knock control completely goes to the limit-same ignition table, same fuel. Huh

My opinion is that the changes i made for the AXX engine should for first work on the BWA engine as well. I´ve never seen such huge ignition retards on any other 2.0 TFSI i did.
But im confused and wonder what mechanical issue can cause that. I just want your experience if there is a big difference in tuning that both engines.

I also put a self made .kp in here-but if someone have the full .a2l i would welcome that  Roll Eyes
Thank you
* Sorry can not upload my files-will try it later again
**An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.
bobbyz0r

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »

Check that the knock sensors are properly torqued down.
uhuhart

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »

Ok thanks, you´re right..this is essential for knock control. But i think the sensors work properly cause the knock control goes up to -12 deg. and if i ask for more, there is " real knock"- you can feel and hear it. Or have you ever had such problems caused on not proper torqued sensors? Maybe some interference thing happens...hmm i don´t know.

Regards
Kacza

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »

You have bad KFZW map addresses.

Your real KFZW looks like this:

That's why you have big bangs.

The correct address of the first map KFZW is 1C8484. And the address 1C8483 is bad.

Restore the KFZW maps to the original, change the addresses.
You do not have to copy these maps from another car. Just add a few degrees in the maximum load of 155 and 170.
Then you follow the VCDS login of groups 003 + 020 and you check the knocking combustion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:51:09 AM by Kacza » Logged
uhuhart

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »

Sir, respect, thanks a lot - i think it needs no further words. Wink
I was so blind and forgot to check it that way. Now everything makes sense....

Best regards

Armin

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:33 PM »

One more time, maps are generally word aligned (16 bits) so they start on even addresses.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vanrhj

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 06:53:40 AM »

What works for one does not always work for u. Make some small changes in your file flash and make a log and review. Then start again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: