Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4 bytes changed in ECU EEPROM after writing - normal?  (Read 4496 times)
Slikk

« on: December 16, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this, apologies if it is a dumb question.

I am using ArgDub's excellent tool to read and write my ECU's EEPROM in bootmode. I have my EEPROM image that I have altered to clone my immo, and fixed the checksums. After I wrote it in bootmode, I wanted to check and make sure the write was successful, so I read it in bootmode and via OBD2 just in case. Both times there are 4 bytes that differ from image I uploaded - 112H-115H is 7C A3 AC 69 on the EEPROM, and 8A 1B F7 FD in my image file. The checksums are still correct after reading the image as well.

Is this to be expected? Does anyone know what these bytes mean and why they would change?
Colt45

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »

Good question. Maybe someone has done full disassembly. It looked to me that the second half of the file is mostly adaptation, etc. As a lot of those bytes would change when I would reread the file. And a lot of zeros if you clear codes in vag com.
dbreeze

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:30:37 PM »

It's most likely from when you are re-reading it via OBD. Since the ECU is fully powered up and not in bootmode, it's looking for sensors and other electronics that it isn't currently connected to. What you are seeing should just be a change in the DTCs that are stored between writing and re-reading over OBD. You can check this by writing via bootmode, powering off the ECU, and then re-reading it back over bootmode right after. The code should be the same.
Slikk

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »

Thanks dbreeze, that makes sense, I will try it.

Are you sure DTCs are stored in the EEPROM though? Aren't they lost when the battery is disconnected? The guy who sold me the car "cleared" the DTCs it had by disconnecting the battery before he gave me the car  Roll Eyes
Slikk

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »

It's most likely from when you are re-reading it via OBD. Since the ECU is fully powered up and not in bootmode, it's looking for sensors and other electronics that it isn't currently connected to. What you are seeing should just be a change in the DTCs that are stored between writing and re-reading over OBD. You can check this by writing via bootmode, powering off the ECU, and then re-reading it back over bootmode right after. The code should be the same.

100% correct. Writing with bootmode, powering off the ECU and then re-reading it with bootmode right after results in an identical file.

Also, noticed with the flash wiped (using Galletto to flash in bootmode, and it wipes and then fails to write one of my flash files, leaving the flash blank) I am unable to read or write the ECU EEPROM in bootmode because ArgDub's tool cannot automatically find the CSpin, and I didn't know what it was. Was freaking out a bit until I figured that out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:16:35 PM by Slikk » Logged
Colt45

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »

CS pin is the chip select pin on the eeprom. You can trace it back to C167 with a ohmmeter, then look up datasheet to see what port and bit that pin corresponds to, and pass it to the tool.
Slikk

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »

You can trace it back to C167 with a ohmmeter

I have a multimeter, but I don't know how to do this. In any case it lists the CSpin for my EEPROM as P4.7 when it autodetects, so I know what it is now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: