Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2003 MK4 GTI 1.8t Unable to read ECU  (Read 17578 times)
Slikk

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »

Interesting, can you please take some screenshots how you managed to read ecu's eeprom with vagkcan?

Okay here are my screenshots.

1. Open vagkcan, select k-line, 01 Engine, and open channel. Then click the Engine Control Unit button.
2. That brings you to this window, with the modes I mentioned for my ECU.
3. Mode 1 allows Read EEPROM and Read Flash buttons. Read EEPROM will time out after trying to connect to the ECU. Read Flash just hangs the whole program.
4. Mode 11 only allows Read EEPROM (after successful read it gives more options, but not Read Flash). Takes about 10-15 seconds to read and then displays it like in the screenshot.
aef

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:34 AM »

thank you
Slikk

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »

Spare ECU + female OBD connector + ECU harness ordered Cheesy

Will be several weeks for it all to arrive unfortunately, but then I should be able to do some bench work!
Slikk

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »

Well everything finally arrived a couple of days ago and I got my cable built and was able to successfully communicate with the new ecu on the bench. Reads are not successful as immo is enabled, but that's fine, I know it is working at least. I started working on cloning my existing immo to the new ecu, still learning about that.

Because I was comparing EEPROM images between the ecus, I was taking a closer look at them with a hex editor and noticed my car's ecu eeprom says REVO right in it near the bottom. Guess that answers the question why I am not able to read the flash via OBD2. Unfortunately REVO maps cannot be changed without the REVO SPS device from what I can find (unless someone knows a way to do this with nefmoto? Smiley). I am planning to dump the REVO software using bootmode, would anyone be interested in seeing that if I am allowed to post it here?

Edit: interesting note, according to 95040tool.exe my car's ecu eeprom has invalid checksum(s). I guess the REVO software does not care about checksums and does not check them. Kind of scary.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:29:30 PM by Slikk » Logged
Slikk

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »

Pretty sure I have successfully cloned my immobilizer, haven't had a chance to try it though. Writing the flash in bootmode is failing with Galletto, likely due to lack of sufficient voltage (I am using an ATX power supply that is only putting out 11.4v). I am going to pick up a proper bench supply that outputs 13.8v and try again.
Slikk

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:03 PM »

So I got a better power source today and Galletto was still unable to write the flash in bootmode. Strangely it would instantly fail write after erasing the flash. On a whim I tried a different .bin (both files I got from here in original ECU file section and both are 032LP files) and it worked! Also it worked on my ATX PSU which I switched back to after it still failed with the new power source. So the problem is the file all along.
Slikk

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »

Success! My spare ECU was cloned successfully and is now running the car with a bin from the original ECU bins here. I have also dumped the Revo bin on my original ECU, if anyone wants a copy to look at, let me know. Keep in mind I have no idea what it is, though I am guessing it is a 30 day trial of Revo software for a 1.8t AWP. Comparing it to a stock 032LP bin there is slightly less than half of it altered, so it may just be changed maps. It was also running the car basically equivalent to factory software, never saw more than 10.8 psi of boost, so if there is a way to "unlock" it, I have no idea how. EEPROM settings maybe?
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 03:16:38 AM »

revo stores boost/timing settings in eeprom so you can manually adjust them without sps
but if there is an attempt to read flash via obd (not bootmode), this eeprom section probably overwrited with flasher and after that you got default timing/boost

i was playin a few years ago with revo tune. any protection can be easily cracked but there is no reason to do that cos no interesting stuff
Slikk

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »

If it's stored in the eeprom why would it be lost when the battery is disconnected though? As that is what seems to happen, from my research (Revo tune reverts to stock performance when battery is disconnected, which may be what happened to my car). Maybe I'm just not understanding how the eeprom works?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: