Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: ECU bricked. Way to flash it while still on car? UPDATE 27/02/2012  (Read 101508 times)
Ptyrell

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »

my in car solution (ME7.1 though)

switch is a momentary

Do you have a close up of both points on the board as I may need to do this one day
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »

http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/ECU_Boot_Mode

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »

For the record, I think this is a terrible idea unless you're an experienced solderer. It's easy to overheat those pads and cause them to delaminate, or use too stiff of a wire and have them pull up just trying to maneuver things into place.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ratherb1

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

Is it a bad idea to solder a wire ( or alligator clip ) to the ground pin and leave it hooked up just not grounded when not trying to enter boot mode ?

-ROMIE
ddillenger

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

Is it a bad idea to solder a wire ( or alligator clip ) to the ground pin and leave it hooked up just not grounded when not trying to enter boot mode ?

I've fixed a few ecu's people soldered to the bootpin. The wires more rigid and ends up lifting the pad. If you do it, make sure NOT to bend it near the ecu, and make sure the wire is SUPER thin and very flexible.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
SeRiLLo

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »

just boot button from ECU to the cockpit and k-line from ECU direct to OBD connector. And boot mode on car no problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptuaHsAZ8_Q&list=UU28fsT0cnCwIcJkrV4B2R7g
RJ@MethaphonicAutoLab

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »

I had to do this 2 days ago on the road. lol. Grin. I'm new this self-tuning world so I've been flashing different files for comparison (just completed my Stg3 build recently). Yes, I checksummed the file, BUT I accidentally flashed the pre-checksum file and just realized right after NefMoto completed the flash reporting "Wrote 18 of 19 sectors". WHOOPS.  Embarrassed.

Lucky I brought my custom harness and MPPS cable with me (had a feeling that this might happen). Tapped 12V (+) to my power inverter, and tapped ground to my buddy's deck removal tool that happen to be sitting on my deck for a while, haha.

It was pretty intense at first since I was by myself on a dark "DEAD END" road, but very satisfying once the ECU was recovered.

Oh, my name is RJ by the way. I've been lurking through this forum and wiki for awhile now, but I haven't really posted anything yet. I actually learned a lot from this forum. Thank You!!

After this "boot-mode-on-the-road" session I had, I've decided that it is time to start sharing in this forum Cheesy. I've been wanting to share my logs here but I want to do my best based on the wiki first so I would understand better when you guys reply and criticize my am-mature tune. Lol.  Nice to meet you all.

ddillenger

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

Just so you know, if you realize you flashed the wrong file prior to cycling the key, just cancel or allow the operation to continue, reconnect, and flash again.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
RJ@MethaphonicAutoLab

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Just so you know, if you realize you flashed the wrong file prior to cycling the key, just cancel or allow the operation to continue, reconnect, and flash again.

Noted!! Thanks ddillenger!!!
cgramme

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »

I was able to reflash my me7.5 with nefmoto software after my ecu was bricked. I had the computer on top of the car and a gust of wind came out of nowhere and blew my computer off disconnecting the cable and smashing into the ground. I thought the flash might have completed before the accident so I tried to start it and nothing happened. I later installed nefmoto onto a spare laptop and wasn't able to connect with the ecu, so I went through the process of starting the ecu in boot mode while still in the car and then tried using galletto with no success. I then tried using nefmoto for the hell of it while the ecu was in boot mode and it worked.
ottosan

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »

Yes you can. You can open up the ECU so you can see the circuit board, but still leave it connected to the two ECU harness connectors.

To get the ECU into boot mode, you have to have the boot pin grounded when the ECU powers up. The ECU is powered by the connection to the car battery, not by the ignition switch.

To get the ECU into boot mode in the car, this process should work:
0) Plug your Galletto cable into the OBD port and get Galletto software ready.
1) Disconnect the battery
2) Insert the key, and turn on the ignition
3) Connect the ECU boot pin to ground
4) Connect the battery
5) Disconnect the ECU boot pin from ground
6) Tell Galletto to connect

Would this work with Nefmoto flasher and FTDI?

Yesterday I flashed my ECU with Nefmoto flasher. Flash process was successful but the ECU is dead now. I can not connect to it.
I'm confused. I don't understand why this happened.  After, I have read the logs of nefmoto flasher and there is nothing suspicious in there.

I'm attaching the log of this particular flash. Maybe somebody can tell why this happened.

Thank you in advance,

THANAS

Yes.

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 10:49:46 PM »

Sounds like you flashed a bad file onto the ecu. Either the wrong file or one with incorrect checksums.  Bootmode time for both the flash memory and possibly the EEPROM as well.
doublerwest

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »

Well i give up, i ve done everything i could.

I ll get it to workbench to make it work, hopefully.
Your boot mode pinning the wrong side bro and this is definitely not the picture i downloaded below. Hold up let me see if itll let me get the correct picture! Ok the one at the bottom hope you didnt fry anything.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:43:37 PM by doublerwest » Logged

W357
doublerwest

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »

I mean can i open ecu box, then connect it to the harness and somehow ground the appropriate pin and start the flash procedure in boot mode via obd?

I use galetto 1260. My ECU is bosch ME7.5 0261 208 521.

Please attach some pictures of the right pin to ground if this procedure is possible.

W357
shanky887614

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »

vcp is very good at recovering non recoverable ecu's but you need an sgo or frf to do it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: