Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone explain how maestro cross flashes?  (Read 3492 times)
deaner

« on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »

I apologize for the newbie  question.  I'm a long time reader, first time poster.   I've held put for MONTHS now before asking questions as the internet and this site in particular are huuuuge sources of information.  My back ground is with megasquirt and gems so efi tinkering is not foreign to me. 

With that being said....  I've spent the last couple of months using Maestro as a beginner tool to get into motronic tuning. I know, booooooo this man lol.  I had full intentions from the beginning to eventually move over to OS motronic tuning.  There are just lots of things to get your head around as a newb and now with a good running BT 1.8t tuned by me on maestro, I'm dabbling in transitioning to OS.

Question, even if it was long winded to get here.... maestros awp and AWM files are interchangeable, how?  I did a wideband conversion on my 2000 A4 and am running the maestro AWP file which is an 032HR code on my 018M ecu.  I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for by searching so I figure it's time to ask.  Round about question,  could I use an 032hs bin and xdf in my 018M(2001 a4) ecu? 

vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »

Maestro was designed to mimic motronic (well it is motronic but..) with a lot less functionality in order to make it approachable for the beginner. There are hacks in the code in order to make it more universal between engines, and more user friendly. You spend a lot of time learning a language, that once you realize what you're giving up, you'll have no use for. The initial cost is as high as a tune from a big name tuner, but you "get" to do all the work! The AWP/AWM files are interchangeable, because the hardware is mostly the same. If we're talking traditional motronic, you can only use the definition that's specific to the file version you're working with in general. There are some cases where a definition will be shared between different software versions, but this is an exception.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:51:08 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
_nameless

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »

The 018m has no immo and the awp is immo3 it will cross flash just finne but youll need to write a matching eeprom to the awm ecu. Maestro may have immo off in flash but if you use a non maestro flash youll soon see youll get a code for eeprom error and a no start from  non matching and not immo offed eeprom. Flashing a awm file to a awp ecu will immo off the ecu. Awm file doesnt have the logic for immo so it will immo off the car ny cross flashing a 018m/ch to an immo on ecu. You may have a code for eeprom error tho.
The other thing you can do is flip a few bits immo off in flash
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:32:19 AM by Marty » Logged

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
deaner

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »

Thanks a bunch for the response guys!  I didn't even think of the immo... more reading to do!  I just found the sub-forums in here that look to have a good amount of information that I will start picking through.  Are immo bins written for THAT particular ecu that they came from?  I don't physically have an AWP(or the like) ecu in hand to pull bins from.  Could a guy pull a eeprom bin from online, disable immo and then flash that eeprom bin to a non immo ecu?

Basically where I'm at is trying to figure out if it would be .ore efficient to try and cross flash an already defined bin onto my 018m ecu or to jump into either defining my own file.  I spent a week playing with winols and hex but I was also learning motronic principals too so my brain was a bit fried and I put it on the back burner while I learn more lol.  I'm not scared to learn by any means, I'm just sorting through being efficient as I'd like to get to a point where I can ditch Maestro. 

So, is maestro just a hack?  It's been great for me personally as I'm new to this type of more dynamic tuning.  Playing with some other well defined xdfs and comparing them to what I have available with Maestro is an eye opener.  Seems as maestro just scrapes the surface of the total depth of motronic lol. 

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate the help.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

Seems as maestro just scrapes the surface of the total depth of motronic lol. 

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: