Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NefMoto Open Source Code Repository  (Read 15558 times)
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« on: January 16, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »

There is now an open source code repository on GitHub at: https://github.com/NefMoto/NefMotoOpenSourceCollaboration

This is where any subsets of the NefMoto code base that are released as open source will be posted.

I would greatly appreciate it if any NefMoto.com users would also contribute their projects to this repository.

Also this is an excellent place for any files that require tracking of history for revisions. Files like ECU tunes, spreadsheet calculators, binary executables, tutorial documents, etc.

Please feel free to add any sub-directories for specific needs as you feel is required.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:50:15 PM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »

added to my github watchlist Smiley

i have been considering moving my various projects to github.

this might be a good excuse to do it already.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:14 PM »

For all the people that have been waiting for me to actually upload some code to this GitHub repository... sorry for the wait. I have once again renewed my efforts to open source some of the NefMoto code. I haven't uploaded anything yet, but hopefully soon.

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
SB_GLI

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »

For all the people that have been waiting for me to actually upload some code to this GitHub repository... sorry for the wait. I have once again renewed my efforts to open source some of the NefMoto code. I haven't uploaded anything yet, but hopefully soon.

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!  I can't put into words how excited I am for this.  I really hope to be able to contribute to this.  MED9 support would be super fantastic, as well as getting some of the other bugs fixed that have been noted.

I have a 2004 jetta and an 03 allroad and nefmoto hates the stock software on both.  It doesn't flash the RN software correctly, and I am pretty sure I have the ecu that gets "bricked" when you read the flash on my allroad.

If there is anything I can do to help out with anything let me know!!!!
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »

Currently I am cleaning up my code and disassembled 2001 S4 ECU for release. I'm still trying to decide how to release them though.

I know some people on the forum are annoyed that people take was has been freely shared and turn around and sell it to others. What are peoples opinions on how it is released and under what open source licenses?

I've considered making what I release only available to a select group of people or just making it available freely to everyone.

Open Source License Info:
http://choosealicense.com/licenses/
http://blog.codinghorror.com/pick-a-license-any-license/
http://haacked.com/archive/2007/04/04/there-are-only-four-software-licenses.aspx/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:16:08 AM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »

In reality, the choice of license is pretty irrelevant, since odds are you don't have the resources to take anybody to court... so it really only becomes a political statement about how you feel about the software you wrote Smiley

So just search your own personal ethics, and pick one ...

I find the Apache license is the closest to my personal ethics, but YMMV, and we can agree to disagree on this choice.

If you choose Mozilla, or BSD, or even releasing entirely under the Public Domain, that is your choice, and I would most definitely respect it.

BTW thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into the Nef flasher; without it, we would be still spinning our wheels!

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
turboat

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »

I think the question here is whether you would be annoyed if someone took something you have freely shared and started selling that to others/using that for profit?

My view is that I develop code because:
a) I enjoy it
b) I want to help other people with the stuff that I've found hard/annoying and developed something to fix or automate the problem.

If someone else wants to develop it further/fix some of the nasty bugs/add functionality/whatever then that is awesome. If they feel they can use something I've written for their profit, then thats fine. I dont think I can make any real money from playing with cars and if it helps someone else pay the bills then go them.

Now I realise there is a HUGE difference between the random toys I've been writing and the stuff you've done, but really its up to you to decide if it matters to you. For one I'm extremely greatful to you for giving away what you have so far - nef is an amazing bit of kit, personally I would like it to be open source so it can be extended in the future, but I understand if you choose not to go down that path.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »

If someone else wants to develop it further/fix some of the nasty bugs/add functionality/whatever then that is awesome. If they feel they can use something I've written for their profit, then thats fine.

The profit angle doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is if the resulting code is proprietary or binary only, and the improvements are not given back to the community.

Or, even worse, the code that I wrote is used in a proprietary program that *I* (as the author of the code) am forced to pay for if I want a copy!

ECUx Plot

turboat

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »

The profit angle doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is if the resulting code is proprietary or binary only, and the improvements are not given back to the community.

Or, even worse, the code that I wrote is used in a proprietary program that *I* (as the author of the code) am forced to pay for if I want a copy!

+1
SB_GLI

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »

I think the question here is whether you would be annoyed if someone took something you have freely shared and started selling that to others/using that for profit?

My view is that I develop code because:
a) I enjoy it
b) I want to help other people with the stuff that I've found hard/annoying and developed something to fix or automate the problem.

If someone else wants to develop it further/fix some of the nasty bugs/add functionality/whatever then that is awesome. If they feel they can use something I've written for their profit, then thats fine. I dont think I can make any real money from playing with cars and if it helps someone else pay the bills then go them.

Now I realise there is a HUGE difference between the random toys I've been writing and the stuff you've done, but really its up to you to decide if it matters to you. For one I'm extremely greatful to you for giving away what you have so far - nef is an amazing bit of kit, personally I would like it to be open source so it can be extended in the future, but I understand if you choose not to go down that path.

I couldn't have said this any better.  I for one, would be one of those that would love to help further develop the software and give that back to the community.  There is no question that some would just rather steal your work, put some new graphics on it, and call it theirs and sell it for a profit.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

There is no question that some would just rather steal your work, put some new graphics on it, and call it theirs and sell it for a profit.

Again, I don't have a problem with this, unless they are demanding money from me for something I wrote.

ECUx Plot

ddillenger

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »

Again, I don't have a problem with this, unless they are demanding money from me for something I wrote.

+1.

It's not like people don't use nefmoto for profit anyway. The only thing closed source does is prevent others from improving upon it.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

Also, may I make a request. When you roll out the next release, would you ensure that baud rate changes are kept even after connecting? That would save me hours (every week) explaining you have to do it twice!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »

Also, may I make a request. When you roll out the next release, would you ensure that baud rate changes are kept even after connecting? That would save me hours (every week) explaining you have to do it twice!

This x 1000! thanks Smiley

ECUx Plot

SB_GLI

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

This x 1000! thanks Smiley

Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: