Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what did I do..... blown head gasket (i think)  (Read 5803 times)
airtite

« on: January 17, 2012, 02:04:12 AM »

Hi

my 1.8T a4 has been running really well lately, no DTC's I have been pulling my plugs every now and then too check for any heat damage etc while tuning and the plugs have looked great. This morning I started the car and she sounded a bit tappety but then came right, I shut her off and checked the oil and saw a slight bit of white (water in the oil). We did do a vinyl wrap on the bonnet over the weekend so my first thought was perhaps with all the washing etc by the motor some water had somehow gotten into the dip stick........ started the car and drove too a client on the way there I noticed the coolant temp hovering just a touch over 90 whereas usually its on 90 exactly. Stopped at the client opened the hood and saw steam being released from the pressure cap on the expansion bottle.......... so I am thinking head gasket. I will pull the head hopefully this afternoon.........

could this have been caused by knock? If yes do you think there is more damage too the block/sleeve/head?
airtite

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »

ok head off, looks like head gasket leaking on cylinder number 2. no detonation damage or anything everything looks good. Not sure why it would have let go like that  Huh Will go collect a new head gasket and some new head bolts and assemble later.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »

Might be worth getting it skimmed now it's off anyway.
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

ok head off, looks like head gasket leaking on cylinder number 2. no detonation damage or anything everything looks good. Not sure why it would have let go like that  Huh Will go collect a new head gasket and some new head bolts and assemble later.

Hey man, at least you caught it in time! (could always swap rods while your in there?)

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
airtite

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »

Hey man, at least you caught it in time! (could always swap rods while your in there?)

I wish Rob, down here in South Africa there arent too many places selling after market rods for these cars and if they do they are twice the price you guys get them for  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: