Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seeking advise, info Audi S4  (Read 1757 times)
RaySimpson91

« on: December 02, 2023, 11:32:39 PM »

Seeking help here. Long story short, I recently acquired a 2005 (.5?) audi S4 with the 4.2 and automatic. When I picked it up, it had sat for 3 months, when it started it had a little chain clatter, but went away pretty quick. Upon letting it warm up it has codes galore, misfire codes on almost every cylinder, MAF codes and a few others. The PO stated the guy they got it from mentioned something about trying to tune himself. I have zero history on the car, it’s in great shape just needs attention, TLC and cleaned up. I plan on running a compression test for piece of mind, checked the plugs and all seem the same color, decent shape. I have actually done timing chains on one of these years ago with a friend, so I’m not afraid to do that (plan on it anyway). I’ve had a similar issue, years ago I had a wrx and a friend tuned it using a tactrix cable, needless to say it ended bad, and had someone else do it with zero issues. Can someone lend some insight on which direction I should go? I’ve read about a VAGCOM cable and VCDS? I’m a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic so I’m not green when it comes to turning wrenches and repairing/reading via diagnostic software, but am when it comes to this audi. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 11:57:07 PM by RaySimpson91 » Logged
BlackT

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 02:39:39 AM »

What is problem with car?
RaySimpson91

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 04:31:34 PM »

The car has bad misfires, misfire codes on almost every cylinder, MAF code. Wondering where to start. I’ve read that maybe broken chain guide can cause chain to jump a tooth?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »

Start by flashing a stock file.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
RaySimpson91

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:47:21 PM »

Start by flashing a stock file.

As soon as I get a computer on it I will try the steps you suggested, much appreciated
RaySimpson91

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 08:31:01 PM »

As soon as I get a computer on it I will try the steps you suggested, much appreciated
Best place to find a stock file?
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 09:24:40 PM »

Do you have a vcds scan or a picture of the ecu? I can check my database and see if I have a stock file for that

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
BlackT

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 02:25:45 AM »

The car has bad misfires, misfire codes on almost every cylinder, MAF code. Wondering where to start. I’ve read that maybe broken chain guide can cause chain to jump a tooth?
Try to rev it to 3000 and see will it have DTCs
Audiquattro44

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »

Change the chain and everything that goes with it
RaySimpson91

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 08:33:10 PM »

Finally got around to digging into it, I found the exhaust cam on pass side is a few degrees off,  so I’m hopeful it must have jumped a tooth or two, and my new timing and guide/ tensioner kit will solve the problem. With the engine out is there any suggestions on anything else to take care of?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: