Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME7.0 map identification, Volvo  (Read 21620 times)
ohhello

« on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »

I have a reader/loader for ME7
I have an editor with checksums

I need to determine what maps are what... if anyone has known maps that they can post up address of or even if you can share Audi/Vw/etc. ME7 maps in picture form that might be enough to determine similar boost, timing, fuel maps for the Volvo models. I can't imagine a timing map from one model to another is so different it couldn't be identified by sight.

I believe I have a few already but I'm not 100% sure. Any help and I'm happy to post up plenty of Volvo Me7 bins if you need them.

Thanks all!
fredrik_a

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

if anyone has known maps that they can post up address of or even if you can share Audi/Vw/etc. ME7 maps in picture form that might be enough to determine similar boost, timing, fuel maps for the Volvo models.

There are basically two different layouts of the Volvo ME7 where one is (to say the least) quite similar to VAG, i.e. you can use a VAG damos to make a proper Stage 1 tune.
The other layout is a bit different, making it a bit more tricky but still doable. Please look at http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=340.0

Also, post your original file here and I'll guide you...
ohhello

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »

Sorry for my delayed reply, been out of the office this last week. Read the post you linked to from start to finish.
I believe this ME7 bin is closer to VAG but not 100% sure.

Here's my stock file https://rapidshare.com/files/2648065251/99_P80_B5244LT_US_Auto_AWD_LPT_XC.bin
And here's a tuned file that came on the ECU when I bought the car (unknown tune) https://rapidshare.com/files/819870954/99_P80_B5244LT_US_Auto_AWD_LPT_XC_Stage_1.bin

I believe I have identified 6 of the basic maps
KFKHFM Air mass correct at hex CB06
KFMIRL Target boost map at hex 11BCC
LDRXN Max load boost control at hex 18CEA
KFZW primary ignition map at hex C5EF
KFLBTS fuel enrichment map at hex 1CF72
KFPED Throttle map (accelerator pedal) at hex 116B2

Now I'm under the understanding that ME7 is torque limited so even if the boost is raised it won't make any more power if the torque limit is not increased as well. That map might be KFMIOP at hex 119EC
I am thinking this tuned file I've attached does not have torque limit raised in the early gears since it's stock boost until 3rd gear.

Any help would be a God send!
Thanks all
fredrik_a

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »

The tuned file... Does it actually deliver any increased performance with higher boost...? Roll Eyes
It looks like a real crappy attempt to tune the file as it is missing some real important changes...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:40:38 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
fredrik_a

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »

As I'm "out of office" I have no tools available but a HEX-editor, so this might not be 100% accurate (you have to check using WinOLS or equivalent)...

Ok, I would start from the stock file and not bother with the tuned file. There are basically a few maps that need to be modified for your stage 1.
A boost level of about 0.8-0.9 bar is appropriate for this engine.

First of all, adjust the LDRXN to support this level. LDRXN (16 bit) is found at 18EDE (16x1, factored 0,023438) with rpm-axis at 18EBE factored 0.25.
Stock LDRXN is:

110   115   116   114   114   113   113   113   113   113   115   118   120   112   108   106

My suggested LDRXN would be:

110   115   120   128   140   143   145   148   150   150   152   152   152   146   143   141

Next step is to check KFMIRL and how far it handles load. This map (16 bit) is found at 11BCC (12x16, factored 0,023438), rpm-axis at 11B94 factored 0.25, axis at 11BB4 factored 0,001526.
This map has plenty of room for more power, i.e. it needs no change. (This map is in your file extremely high, much higher than any of the LPT-versions I've come across earlier. Perhaps this is a result of a US spec car?)

KFMIOP (16 bit) is located at 119EC, factored 0,001526 and needs to be aligned properly with KFMIRL. (There is a separate thread for this in the forum, get them aligned properly or you will have torque intervention issues).

KFLDHBN (8 bit) is found at 1C11F (8x8). It can be FF'd to disable the function.

I would also ad a bit of fuel for this engine for higher loads/higher engine speeds. KFLBTS is at 1CF72, 8 bit, 16x12, factored 0,007813.

Also, stock ignition (8 bit, C5EF, factor 0.75) is very very safe in this file. If you are experiencing high EGT's, using timing advance rather than enrichment would probably do just fine.

Start off with these map changes and take it from there.

Good luck,
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:00:15 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
ohhello

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice, I think I've got all your instructions applied except for LDRXN.

For LDRXN I'm not seeing the map defined by WIN OLS, and the data in that location doesn't seem to match. All the other maps and locations were spot on correct!
Do I understand correctly LDRXN is a 16x1 map with 16bit values? The closest WIN OLS comes is finding a 8x16 map with axis defined at 18CEA and the map actually starting at 18D1E

As far as aligning KFMIOP and KMFIRL since I didn't adjust those I'm assuming no need for aligment?

Seriously appreciate the help!
fredrik_a

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »

For LDRXN I'm not seeing the map defined by WIN OLS, and the data in that location doesn't seem to match.

Don't rely on WinOLS being able to find the map properly. The adress I gave you is correct and it is 16x1. I've still got no WinOLS in front of me but from memory.. You can basically start of from the map you have, change the start adress to 18EDE, change Columns x rows to 16 x 1, set the organization to Onedimensional, change the factor from 1 to 0,023438. After that, go to the properties of the X-axis and change the start adress to 18EBE, signature byte 4A38 and factor with 0.25.

Furthermore... KFMIRL and KFMIOP are not aligned as you will change the workarea of KFMIRL. KFMIRL is a general calibration area used by several engine revisions, KFMIOP and LDRXN are specific for this calibration, i.e. changing LDRXN and thereby changing the workarea in KFMIRL, I'd be surprised if KFMIOP will still fit. With no WinOLS in front of me I have a hard time seeing this in just a HEX-editor, but I'm sure someone with WinOLS nearby can suggest a proper KFMIOP for you.
ohhello

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »

Got the LDRXN figured out, car boosts to 10psi, datalogger shows timing, fuel and EGT all within acceptable limits!

Super pleased with the result, however I didn't change KFMIRL or KFMIOP... Should I?

Fredrik you are a God send... PLEASE let me send you something as a thank you!!!!
fredrik_a

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:14 AM »

Got the LDRXN figured out, car boosts to 10psi

I'm a bit surprised about this. In all LPT cars that I've used this LDRXN curve, I've had slightly more boost than 10 PSI (which corresponds to about 0.7 bars of boost). your wastegate actuator, is it properly set up? Cracking pressure can not really be measured properly running the car without some tweaks to the software so I usually use a hand pump with a pressure gauge (connected to the wastegate actuator) to see when it starts to open while looking at the pressure reading. Anything below 0.25 bars (3.6 PSI) needs to be adjusted upwards as the spring generally degrades with age and mileage.

If you can find no issues with the actuator, increase the LDRXN to about 160 and examine if the boost follows accordingly. If not, your actuator might need replacement. (This can be checked by simply disconnecting the pressure hose to the actuator and then take it for a careful testdrive. Your boost sholud rise rapidly if everything is OK with the actuator. Be careful though and let go of the throttle when the boost starts to increase rapidly...)

Did you FF the entire KFLDHBN?
ohhello

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »

After first test drive at 10psi I found that I did not save that map iteration after the KFLDHBN was set to "FF" in all cells.

So adjusted KFLDHBN to "FF" in all cells, saved it and loaded it,  and hit 12psi spot on. My wastegate is set at 3.8psi already so figured I'm good there.

I'm interested to know what KFLDHBN does in that it only limited me by 2psi. I thought it was as map with RPM and IAT as it's axis that affected boost via temp change...?

Also data logged the car tonight and saw 1800hpa boost (1.8 bar absolute) and 0.85 lambda anytime I was above ~7psi. Runs great and timing is well within limits and I'm not seeing any detonation adjustment.

Also co-worker has 2001 C70 with manual trans (turbocharged), I can find most maps (KFMIRL, KFMIOP, KFLBTS, KFPED, etc..) But can't find the LDRXN, any tips on how to locate that?

Thanks again, you seriously need to send me your address so I can send you a thank you! You've been an awesome help Smiley
phila_dot

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »

I'm interested to know what KFLDHBN does in that it only limited me by 2psi. I thought it was as map with RPM and IAT as it's axis that affected boost via temp change...?

It is multiplied by ambient pressure prior to being converted to load to account for altitude.
ohhello

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »

So I'm at sea level. I would suspect that it would not have much impact then since altitude is a small factor.

So for someone at high altitude (say 3000ft.) what would you want to do with this map since i set mine to "FF" and got the expected 12psi...??

Sorry for noob question but the FunctionRhamen is tough to grasp so far...
fredrik_a

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:08:37 AM »

So adjusted KFLDHBN to "FF" in all cells, saved it and loaded it,  and hit 12psi spot on.

Perfect. That was what I expected.
At this point you can now re-calibrate the function properly for your new boost levels.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:16:57 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
ohhello

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

What's the reasoning for that map to make that adjustment in the boost pressure. If I'm at sea level and it's a altitude dependent change then why the 2psi?

Just trying to understand more clearly, thanks for you help so far!

phila_dot

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

What's the reasoning for that map to make that adjustment in the boost pressure. If I'm at sea level and it's a altitude dependent change then why the 2psi?

Just trying to understand more clearly, thanks for you help so far!

From the factory this output (ldrlts_w iirc) will be higher than the other paths of the function at sea level and will not be used in rlmax because it always follows the minimum value. If you raise LDRXN and ldrlts_w becomes the lowest specified load than rlmax_w now will follow KFLDHBN.

FF'ing the table is the easist solution and a good way to identify the source of the issue, but KFLDHBN can be tuned to only intervene when required.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: