Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Lean out upon cam advance?  (Read 19122 times)
jpurban

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 09:51:05 PM »

Andreas,

Do you have to follow this process even if you disable LRA (NOLRA = 8, I think)?

If my rkat and fra are small across most loading, engine speeds, etc., I'm good, right?  Other than low load, low speed transient situations (1 second or so), my car behaves well.  Idle is perfectly smooth.  After the initial shift, lambda settles pretty quickly. 

I guess what I'm really asking...  Are there other lambda regulations than those shown in LRA (fra and rkat)?

John

Fuel trim is always a very slow adaption of the mixture (in the range of 0.75 to 1.25 where 1.0 is no correction).  So at a steady engine speed after let s say 0.5 seconds the fuel trim will adjust to correct lambda.  Long term fuel trim is even slower.
So it is too slow for your transient lean condition.

Basically to measure HFM  calibration the whole lambda - autoadjustment of ME7 is a problem.
I usually set  all KFLF to 0.9  and also KFLBTS and LAMFA to 0.9.
I found that in this way the lambda  regulation is turned off (at least for several seconds at constant rpm and throttle) as the target is too far away from 1, see FR somewhere.

Then I do a simple log drive with steady slow acelerations at different throttle plate angles.
From the log I then  fill an excel table where I prepared the x and y points to correspond to the KFHFM table. Y - yalues are measured lambda (I use my own lambda sensor).  It is a wise idea to write yourself a little program that does parse the log data .

Ideally all y - values should be lambda 0.9  (they are not in my screenshot as it is taken from a different setup , no time to search through all my measurements.)

Where you see differences, correct the KFHFM table and try again.

Good luck
Andreas

jpurban

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »

PRJ,

VAKL increase is the next step...  I'll keep you posted.  My VAKL is about 2/3rds of my BAKL.  Do you find this relationship to be typical?

My TEMIN is set at 0.  Daz helped me with that a few years ago -- My A2L file isn't a perfect match to my version and we had to search for it.

John

You will need to bump KFVAKL a lot higher than what is said in the FR, maybe 5 times as high, when you have injectors not made for the application...

Also, did you make sure TEMIN is low enough?
jpurban

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »

*** Update ***

Feel like I'm making progress.  Current theory...  Porsche tuners optimized VAKL for DFCO, which explained why it had some very low levels - it wasn't actually used very often (DFCO forces error vales to be used when B_SA is set).  So, I set the VAKL and KFAVAK to the recommended values in the FR. Magitude looks good, but the short/long splits need adjustment.  Higher revs require greater short term.  In the process of logging and tweaking.

Still hung up on the cam change lean out...  See the attached log.  Could the 10% RL drop at cam change (which is confirmed by a nearly 10% drop in MAF) be triggering ESUK compensation that leans me out 10%?  If so, then maybe I need to drop short term decel percentage around 1,200 to 1,500 rpm...  Sounds like something to test in my next attempt.
prj

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 02:07:21 AM »

Can be.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
jpurban

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »

Well, shit.  I thought I had this whipped (as outlined below), but I spoke too soon.    I'm still having lean out at some of the cam changeovers, about 10%.  So, I'm back to thinking I don't know wth the KFNWSL/H tables do.  Does anyone have an FR for the 996TT/ME7.8 or know where one can be had?  I'm not sure I'll figure it out without one.

I guess I'll have to look for alternative solutions...  One thought...  I have 2 tables, FKKVS and FKKVSNWS.  Maybe I could bump fueling at the boundary cells in each table?  Anyone else try this approach?  BTW, the Porsche factory tables don't appear to take this approach.  So, there's no evidence it'll work (if it did, then why do the KFNWSL/H tables exist?).

Honestly, the whole cam changeover could be an ESUK tuning issue.  As mentioned earlier, my RL and MAF drops during the change about 10%, which could be driving an poorly tuned ESUK response.

This is just baffling.  I'm kinda at a loss.  The factory ESUK settings are so far from the FR default values that I can't figure their strategy.  Example...  DUKK is 0.94 and ZUKK is 0.3.  When you couple that with a KFABAK short term portion of 0.2 (short term tip-in enrichment is only getting 2% of the total ESUK enrichment above TMOT of 60F), it sure looks like the Porsche calibrator nerfed the short term portion of ESUK, especially for acceleration.  Could it be that the OEM Deka injectors were that non-linear?  Or was Porsche just nerfing short term acceleration to smooth out the transition from decel fuel cut off to accel fuel cut-in?

Besides the cam change lean out issue that started this thread, I have one other lean out out issue that seems to be related to the weird ESUK settings, but this is just a theory.  DUKK and ZUKK effect both accel and decel. 

So, picture this...  You're in 2nd gear and accelerating moderately (60+ RL) -- quickly, but not enough to be into boost and your lamsoll is still 1.00.  Very typical street driving.  Then, you prepare to shift, lifting off throttle and your RL drops from 60+ to 18.  Since you've disabled decel fuel cut off, that load reduction sends lambda from something near 1.00 to the sensor rich limit (0.73) in about 0.4 seconds (because ESUK isn't doing shit due to the high DUKK value).  You press the clutch and shift into 3rd.  While you were doing that, ESUK and LR kicked in to correct the massive rich condition and put you in a slightly lean condition.  Then, you let the clutch out, applying moderate throttle (not enough for boost or a rich lambda target).  As you do that, you're starting from a lean lambda and ESUK isn't doing shit to enrich because the high DUKK is keeping it from doing so.  That causes your lambda to spike higher and you feel the sluggishness that lasts for a brief moment before LR and ESUK kick in to help get you back to a lambda of 1.00.  Sure, the car is driveable, but you know something doesn't feel right.

Assuming my interpretation of events is right, I'm left with 2 choices...  1) Enable DFCO at lower RPM, going back to factory NWEM settings, hoping the factory FUKE and ZUKE settings work for EV14s or 2) be prepared to change everything in ESUK from factory, which appears to be optimized for DFCO to low rpm settings.   Since I want to make #2 work, I'm going to set DUKK, ZUKK, KFBAKL/KFVAKL, KFABAK/KFAVAK to the FR values and test using the factory WFRL.  If that isn't a total disaster, then we'll see if WFRL tuning gets any easier.  Note that all my previous attempts at ESUK tuning only made things worse -- I'm hoping that was because of the high DUKK value, which basically undermined my attempts to address short term lean out in accel and vice versa in decel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***  Success ***

Hell yeah, muthafucka!  Finally, a cam change with no (meaningful) lean out! See attached log for proof.

Solution:  In ME7.8, KFNWSL governs mixture correction factor during cam change from late (retarded intake, zero overlap) to early (advanced intake, 30 degree overlap), BUT it isn't intuitive: Rich is numbers less than one, suggesting it might be a lambda-like approach or lambda-modifying value.  Since no available FR covers this table, I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I've confirmed that it does for my issue.  Word of warning: Do NOT set any values in KFNWSL above 1 or you will lean out (1.3 or more), usually in acceleration, and that is a recipe for disaster.

In my log, you'll see the cam changeover has been raised to 40+ RL from stock 22-23 RL level, based on advice from Mister T.  This actually makes the cam changeover lean out worse because the KFNWSL table values rise from 0.92 or so at the expected OEM point to 1.00 (no enrichment) at the higher RL.  So, contrary to intuition, raising the changeover RL makes things worse, if you don't also adjust the KFNWSL table.  In my test (shown in the log below), I reduced my 10% to 15% lean out (KFNESL value of 1.00) to 5% by reducing KFNWSL to 0.91.  So, the table seems to have a linear effect on cam changeover lambda.

I'll fine tune this with more testing and let you know if anything changes in the perception expressed above.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:09:16 AM by jpurban » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »

fantastic, thanks for your tenacity

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »

Well done Smiley

I remembered somewhere in the back of my head there being a cam change map, but didn't remember the name, and didn't have really time to look.

Log your car properly.
jpurban

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »

Update...

Step 1...  With FR defaults in all of the ESUK defined tables/scalars except for the factory WFRL, I unsurprisingly ran lean on increasing load and rich on decreasing load.

Step 2...  Again with default values as above, I scaled up WFRL by 5% across the spectrum and returned to the factory value for ZUKK, increasing from 25% to 30%.  Regarding ZUKK, I think I see what the factory was doing -- This is kind of a global increase in short term portion of ESUK, which you can use to balance short vs. long term adjustments.  If you get ZUKK, right, then the factory values for KFAVAK/BAK only require small deviations from the FR default values.  Results were great in mid-load situations (judging by the response of the car -- logs still show some leaning), but more WFRL/ZUKK is required for low load situations, which are still well lean/rich on accel/decel. Since the problem is symmetrical, that points to WFRL increase and/or ZUKK increase.  With some more analysis, I'll figure out my best guess for each to test in Step 3.  After I get the car performing reasonably well with the global settings, I'll shift to the accel/decel specific tables.

Step 3...  I increased ZUKK to 0.35, effectively adding 5% more to short term.  That helped some, but still have more to go to balance short vs. long, especially on decel.  Throttle lift to idle while rolling still goes 15% rich, followed by 15% lean, which I'm taking as a good indication that a higher ZUKK is required.  Since I still feel I'm overall lean (short + long) on accel, WFRL is getting close, but needs a little more in the low to mid range (18 to 60 or so).

Step 4...   Next step is a ZUKK of 0.40 and higher WFRL down low.  I'm going to smooth out the factory WFRL curve in this step.  More to come once I get to test.  

As a general note...  In retrospect, I shouldn't have been scared to start from scratch on ESUK using the FR recommended values -- Nothing bad happened.  Hell, starting from scratch is actually easier (when large adjustments are needed) than trying to alter the factory BAK tables (only, as some have recommended).  Even though I'm only tuning to the warm motor results, the car is still very driveable at a cold summer start (40C) using the FR defaults that adjust for motor temp (BAKL/VAKL).  Since cold performance is improving with each iteration, I'm thinking my cam change lean out may become a non-issue if I get ESUK good enough.  I guess all the FR instructions prompted me to think you had to have a dyno and the ability to do controlled load steps to get ESUK "good enough".  Couple that thinking with some failed attempts at altering just BAK and you might understand my trepidation.  Now that I'm making good progress -- car is coming alive, throttle response much improved -- I'm feeling less intimidated, but I also realize I'll probably be fine tuning for some time to come, especially as we get into the cold winter starts (0C or less).  My goal, at this point, is to keep transient (0.2 second increments) lambda excursions within +/-0.05 when under normal driving (lamsol = 1.00).  I think that'll be doable without a dyno/load cell based on what has been achieved thus far using only the "global" adjustments.

Comments, criticism welcomed...  I'm still learning.  Feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Edit:  Added a graphic that illustrates the "spread" between max rich and max lean for accel and decel segmented by max/min loads/rpm of each load change event.  Goal is to get them as close together as possible.  Since the spreads are pretty uniform across the spectrum, I'm still focused on the global settings as the next steps.  Note how rich the the decel events can get, which becomes a problem when you disable DFCO on a tune that is optimized for DFCO (my current working theory).  Believe it or not, this is actually an improvement over my starting point.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:11:36 PM by jpurban » Logged
jpurban

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »

*** Update ***

New information...  
I did some very slow speed driving around the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd gear with a hot engine.  I found that I could recreate the cold lean out (issue that kicked off this thread) even when hot.  

What I noticed...  
1.  The lean out occurred without a cam change in many instances --> Cam change may aggravate the condition, but it isn't the root cause.  
2.  The lean out occurred under near constant load -->  Confirms transient enrichment/enleanment (ESUK) is not the root cause.
3.  The lean out always follows a sizeable ignition retard (e.g. 30 advance to 0 advance), even under constant throttle/pedal angle.
4.  The lean out only occurs in the region LLR is active, which is NSTAT (760 RPM Hot Idle) plus DNLLR (1,200 rpm), which means anything below 1,960 rpm when warm.  Higher when cold.
5.  The lean out occurs when operating near the idle RL (40% cold, 24% hot) in gear, rolling.  The higher value at cold explains why I encounter the problem more often when cold, but hot testing reveals the problem exists there too.    

So...  These new facts point to a non-optimal LLR.  

Thinking out loud...  I'll need to do more research, but my first thought is that my fully revised KFMIRL/KFMIOP (linearly scaled, like OEM) isn't playing nice with the stock torque reserve settings.  Since the torque vs relative load relationship is changed, the torque reserve tables probably need the axes scaled appropriately to mimic the stock behavior (which was fine).   If this doesn't solve the issue, then I'll raise the minimum ignition advance, which should be okay since my cat heating is disabled and there's no need to allow values like 6 degrees ATDC (as required by KH).  Side benefit to increasing ignition advance is less burbling exhaust on decel (which some might like).

Anyone else run into this issue?  Do most of you leave the low portions of the KFMI tables stock?  My first purchased tune for the car only altered the last 3 (high load) lines, perhaps to avoid the need to scale other items?  Maybe that is a better approach, but it must have it's compromises too (non-linear load torque relationship requiring KFPED custom tuning to avoid large load changes -- which my purchased tune did not have, explains why the pedal didn't feel "right").
prj

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 06:00:04 AM »

Don't touch IOP/IRL at lower load unless you want a ton of trouble.

Log your car properly.
jpurban

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »

Now, you tell me?  jk...  I've updated my IOP/IRL to be stock at 100 RL and below.  Definitely an improvement.

Do you typically leave stock up to 100 RL?  Or, do you start the scaling at a lower value?

The reason I ask...  Starting above 100 RL creates a very non-linear relationship between pedal angle and net requested load.  I'd really prefer a more linear pedal, but the limits of KFMIZUFIL won't allow for much correction in KFPED.  You're left with a pedal that is very sensitive at low load (not necessarily bad), but quite insensitive at high load (something I don't like).

How do you overcome this?  Or, do you live with a non-linear pedal?

Don't touch IOP/IRL at lower load unless you want a ton of trouble.
prj

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:41 AM »

Uhmm, KFPED you can set to nearly whatever, monitoring should not do anything.
Well unless you go inverted. But I've never had issues with KFPED.

Log your car properly.
jpurban

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »

PRJ,

I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that you should make sure KFPED requested torque stayed below the values in KFMIFIZUL to avoid torque intervention.  If you don't, then you end up with mifa (request) being set to the ceiling of miszul, right?  If so, you end up with something worse than an continuous, non-linear (pedal vs torque) curve -- a discontinuous, non-linear curve -- because actual torque can never become requested torque if that means actual would exceed miszul, right?

I guess if actual torque is lagging requested (like during accel), there could be no problem...?  Or, no problem if the engine can't achieve the requested torque (in a particular load cell), but then the KFPED design would be poor.  It doesn't make sense to me to request a torque that isn't possible...

Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance for educating me.

John 

Uhmm, KFPED you can set to nearly whatever, monitoring should not do anything.
Well unless you go inverted. But I've never had issues with KFPED.
jpurban

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »

***  Final Update ***

Car is running fantastic.  Smooth idle and silky part throttle response, that rivals OEM.  I need colder weather to test cold/warm-up performance, but the improvement is such that I don't foresee issues.  Here's a summary that documents what finally fixed this issue for me.  Maybe it'll help someone...

Issue:  Lean out/stuttering most pronounced with cold engine at cam change under accel following rolling idle.

Root cause:  Poor steady state fuel tune aggravated by inappropriate IOP/IRL tuning.

Contributing factors: 
0) Novice tuner:  Lack of knowledge and context regarding appropriate FKKVS and KFMIOP/KFMIRL best tuning practices
1) Hardware change:  New, larger EV14 injectors and increase to non-standard fuel pressure supporting larger turbo upgrade
2) Logging software:  Durametric limited logging variables, their weird nomenclature and slow sample rate (about 5/s)

Solution (that produced good results fo me):
1)  Ensure KFMIOP/KFMIRL are stock values for RL below 100 to avoid unintended consequences, like weird ignition angles due to untuned torque reserve effects.  I'm sure there are a myriad of other reasons too.
2)  Ensure KRKTE, FRLFSDP and TVUB values set appropriately.  Be sure to account for any changes in fuel pressure too.  Note that KRKTE has a resolution of about 3%, but you can use FRLFSDP to set it more accurately if you have a non-returnless fuel system.  My stock Porsche file did exactly this (all stock points were 1.016, adding 1.6% flow to the poor resolution of KRKTE).  So, I followed their lead, which ensures the best results in the next step.
3)  Use stock FKKVS table values with a scaled injector axis as a starting point.  I found scaling the injector axis (ms) by ratio of new injector flow rate versus old injector flow rate to be effective. Scale TEMIN by the same factor.  Scaling in this manner makes sure your FKKVS goes low enough and has sufficient part throttle resolution, maintains a stock response. 
4)  Test (drive, log, analyze) for reasonableness and adjust KRKTE/FRLFSDP/TVUB as needed.  Don't move forward unless long term trims (only fueling reported by durametric) are within a few percent of 0% RKAT and 1.00 for FRA.  This minimizes risk in the following step.
5)  If using Duramteric, you have little choice -- you must disable lambda regulation to effectively tune FKKVS.  Set RLLRUN to 100 for all values to disable below 100 RL.  No need to go any higher for part throttle tuning.
6) Test part throttle performance progressively.  Only test after idling to full warm first (84C coolant temp on my Porsche) -- Expect cold idle lambda to be about 5% to 10% rich w/o LR.  Plan to do multiple tests, gradually expanding the envelope of each test.  Start with a low load, first gear only test (neighborhood driving) -- stay below 25 mph, for example.  Analyze it, make appropriate adjustments to FKKVS and test again expanding to 2nd gear.  Rinse and repeat until you've covered your part throttle driving range and your no-RL lambda error is small across the spectrum.  As you test, keep your load low until you're confident lambda stays below 1.05 or so.  With lean mixtures and higher loads, you can burn exhaust valves.  You'll know you are done with this step when the car drives like stock in part throttle without the help of LR.
7)  Reset RLLRUN to default values and perform a final test.  There should be little noticeable difference (from previous step final adjustment) AFTER driving for a few minutes.

Special note regarding FKKVS tuning/log analysis...  Filter the data to screen out transient (accel and decel) events (load changes). I found that calculating the median RL value for each FKKVS cell and screening data for a +/- 5% RL variance was an effective way to filter out transient noise.  Also, make sure you have sufficient test sample size for each FKKVS cell before making changes.  Be sure to smooth out FKKVS surface.

BTW...  My FKKVS increases (versus stock) around the cam changeover point.  This appears to be an effective way to address cam change related lean out issues.
prj

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »

Yeah I solved the cam leanout mostly through FKKVS as well on the dyno.

Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: