Pages: [1]
Author Topic: cluster swap with the old cluster broken  (Read 3392 times)
Robobeat

« on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »

Hey everyone,

first of all, when looking for a solution for my problem I came across this forum and I am sure my problem can be fixed with the help of you guys.
I am currently working on a Seat Leon 1.8 20vt AUQ engine that unfortunately had an accident ending in a small ditch by its previous owner.
I was able to buy it from him for very cheap and I have been able to fix most of the damage up to now and working on getting it to run.

However, due to the water damage it sustained during the crash, the old cluster is inaccessible with VCDS but the engine would still start.
So, I had to swap the cluster and I also had to swap the Comfort module for the same reason.
I was able to get my hands on a new (used) cluster and have been looking on getting it to work since then.

I have already done and tried the following:
- retrieved the SKC from the ECU and the cluster which both accept the code
- tried the official Ross-tech procedure to reconnect the cluster and ECU together but failed (ended at the last step for adaptation channel 50 saying "System Not OK", everything else worked perfectly and its not immo off)
- tried reprogramming the cluster with the correct VIN, immo ID and SKC which works (cluster is still responding and accessible through VCDS and vag tacho) but its the immo is still not able to communicate with the ECU.

I am sure I am missing something here or there is a last step I need to do to get this to work, but after searching for a solution all weekend I am a bit out of options tbh.
Is there anyone that can provide me with instructions or that can help me with getting this to work?
I can provide you with a dump of the ECU and the new cluster, just not from the original one (otherwise this post would not have existed Wink ).

I would be very grateful to anyone that could provide me with the info I need, I am sure I am close on getting this to work.

B.
H2Deetoo

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »

What is the partnumber of the original cluster?
Robobeat

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »

the part number of the original cluster is 1M0920822G.
The new cluster has part number 1M0920922F.

I have also posted both the ECU and the cluster (modified version) dump, both can be opened using an Hex Editor.
Hopefully this can help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:02:09 AM by Robobeat » Logged
H2Deetoo

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »

I'm sorry I can't help much with these "old" types of clusters (my focus is on newer generations).
But this is what is confusing me:

"the old cluster is inaccessible with VCDS but the engine would still start."

If your engine would still start it means the cluster is functioning and doing its work talking to engine ecu saying it's allowed to start.
Talking to engine would be done over canbus or K-line (I think it's K-line for this cluster but not sure).
Then you would also need to be able to talk to the cluster using VCDS, it is the same communication channel.

So could it be there is some other problem? Perhaps something is wrong with your gateway?
Maybe your VCDS cable is faulty (the K-line part) ?

Rgs H2Deetoo
Robobeat

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »

you would say so, but no.
when the cluster is connected, I am unable to start any communication with either the ECU or the cluster with any program.
Swapping it with another cluster fixes this problem.

However, I am delighted to say I have fixed it!
There was (as I thought) one last step that needed to be done within the cluster dump to adapt to the ECU, which was the 14bit IMMO ID that 's located after the SKC in the ECU dump.
I found this info on this forum and I was able to get the info using the 95040tool (not easy to get your hands on btw).
I paired the ECU info with the cluster, uploaded the dump into the cluster and was then able to continue.
No errors anymore saying it wasn't able to communicatie with ECU!
A fast rematch of the keys then disabled the immobiliser light on the cluster and set channel 22 "car start allowed" to 1.
I will be testing it tonight to see if we can start it (still has some other small issues).

Thanks for now.

B
prj

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »

I'm sorry I can't help much with these "old" types of clusters (my focus is on newer generations).
But this is what is confusing me:

"the old cluster is inaccessible with VCDS but the engine would still start."

If your engine would still start it means the cluster is functioning and doing its work talking to engine ecu saying it's allowed to start.
Talking to engine would be done over canbus or K-line (I think it's K-line for this cluster but not sure).
Then you would also need to be able to talk to the cluster using VCDS, it is the same communication channel.

So could it be there is some other problem? Perhaps something is wrong with your gateway?
Maybe your VCDS cable is faulty (the K-line part) ?

Rgs H2Deetoo
It's not the same communication channel.
The cluster talks to the ECU on W line, and VCDS talks to the cluster on K-Line.
K-Line goes into the cluster and then when the cluster allows it, it passes some signals to the W-Line for communication between ECU and tester.

Most likely K-Line to W-Line relay is dead inside the cluster.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: