Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Planning to convert a non turbo 1.8 to turbo - Some questions/help needed  (Read 33605 times)
Blazius

Hello beautiful people,
this is my 1st post/thread on here, and first of all thanks for creating this amazing FREE software. Now, as the title says I have got an 2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8 wihout a turbo ARG engine code, and im planning to convert it to a t3/t4 turbo with some mild boost (max 8 PSi), prolly aiming for like 200-250 whp, without forged internals obv etc.
So I did some reading before etc. so if i slap a turbo on this car, with stock tune etc it wont run the best, so im planning to fix that myself using these softwares.

So some information:
- The car has a 8D0 906 018 Q / 0 261 206 318 ECU  with 99. august timestamp ,which is an ME7.5 apparently, and also this is the ecu used in the 1.8 turbo variants. According to this https://wiki.obdtuning.de/index.php?title=Bosch_ME_7.5_(Audi) it is not readable/flashable thru OBD unless in bootmode, I also dont know what kind of memory layout it has , but according to this
it should be 400bb , and not flashable thru OBD. Now I actually have a HEX-CAN-USB rosstech cable( prolly a knockoff) but it doesnt work with anything except VCDS, tried nefmoto/unisettings/ etc , multiple drivers , disabling intelligent mode , but nope. So im planning to buy a VAG KKL cable which should work with Nefmoto.

Now some questions:
- Can i use this ECU if i turbo the car, if yes, what kind of memory layout will I need to use if I use nefmoto, and is it possible to flash it thru OBD/nefmoto ?
- I can get the VAG KKL cable pretty cheap , but for double the price ( still cheap ) I could get a MPPS v16, which one should I go for ? obviously the MPPS supports more ECU's etc. if i Read right.
- For the turbo setup I'm planning to get an AEB intake manifold , and the 2 car/manifolds have different vacuum setups, the turbo one has way more, but afaik i wont need most of them , so can I mockup the vacuums from the non turbo ones , to the turbo manifold ?( the ones needed like - brake booster, PCV, EVAP)

That's pretty much what came to my mind right now. I would appreciate it a lot if someone could answer my questions Tongue Thank you very much .
BWF

I will be aware of this post.
I also want to put a turbo to an atmospheric petrol, an alpha 147 with ME7.3.1
I have read that it can be done but it has a lot of work

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3 mediante Tapatalk
Blazius

Well I'm planning on getting  turbo exhaust manifold - block off wastegate port ( coz turbo has internal  wg of 8psi) , get a turbo intake manifold of 1.8t , oil feed/ drain should be straighforward, piping is quite cheap here ( Romania) , Open Downpipe until I get a proper one made, and injectors most likely. Shouldn't be that expensive.
mushtafa

I can't answer your questions, but wouldn't it be a lot cheaper & easier to just swap the engine from a doner vehicle?
Blazius

I can't answer your questions, but wouldn't it be a lot cheaper & easier to just swap the engine from a doner vehicle?

No . I dont think so , I also don't have the necessary tools for an engine swap Smiley
Blazius

So, I just bought a KKL cable... to find out it has a CH340 chip.. that's one question of the way... Anyone can help with the rest Cheesy ?
_nameless

So, I just bought a KKL cable... to find out it has a CH340 chip.. that's one question of the way... Anyone can help with the rest Cheesy ?
this seems cool and im willing to help. because you car is me7 that helps you out a ton. really you still need to add the map sensor wiring to the ecu, its 5v, signal, and ground. the other thing id consider is swapping to wideband lambda, its as simple as adding 1 more wire to the ecu. now youll have a clone of a wideband 1.8t minus vvt. id even be willing to help with a base file to get it running. do yourself a favor and get mpps v13 or higher, get a ft232rl obd cable too

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Blazius

this seems cool and im willing to help. because you car is me7 that helps you out a ton. really you still need to add the map sensor wiring to the ecu, its 5v, signal, and ground. the other thing id consider is swapping to wideband lambda, its as simple as adding 1 more wire to the ecu. now youll have a clone of a wideband 1.8t minus vvt. id even be willing to help with a base file to get it running. do yourself a favor and get mpps v13 or higher, get a ft232rl obd cable too

Smiley that be nice. as for the maf/map I was planning to use the stock one , mounted on turbo inducer.2nd by you saying add a wideband , I guess this ecu is a narrowband one., how would I go on about adding a wideband lambda instead of the one existing ( dont forget im planning to run an open DP until i can make one ) 3rd What do you mean non VVT, I thought the chain tensioner handles stuff like that no ? Also will get an mpps and galletto + a ftdi chipped cable.

All in all, this wont be completed anytime soon - just ran out from money and I dont work so, until I find a job , rip Smiley But I would appreciate if you add me somewhere Tongue
Blazius

Well. I just got my turbo today... now to get money somehow to continue the project Cheesy
Carsinc

OK what he is saying is, you can add one wire and make ecu a wideband, which would allow use of a 1.8t wideband ecu
and make this tune wayyyy easier also you will need to a map sensor.
Blazius

OK what he is saying is, you can add one wire and make ecu a wideband, which would allow use of a 1.8t wideband ecu
and make this tune wayyyy easier also you will need to a map sensor.

Why do I need a map sensor , and how would I mount it on the turbo intake manifold ? Can't I just use the stock maf on turbo ?
opticaltrigger

Why do I need a map sensor , and how would I mount it on the turbo intake manifold ? Can't I just use the stock maf on turbo ?

Hi Blazius, perhaps there's a little confusion here.
You need the MAP sensor to measure pressure / vacuum. MAF's meter the induced air.

Marty and Carsinc have just told you what the best process is.
Your best approach here, in my opinion that is, would be firstly stick to there advise exactly and without question.
And with regards to mounting your MAP, you don't have to. The manufacturer has already done an excellent job of it for you.

Can't I just use the stock maf on turbo ?............................
You need both of them.
Again though......... "The manufacturer has already done all this for you".

All the very best
O.T.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:46:54 AM by opticaltrigger » Logged

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
Blazius

Hi Blazius, perhaps there's a little confusion here.
You need the MAP sensor to measure pressure / vacuum. MAF's meter the induced air.

Marty and Carsinc have just told you what the best process is.
Your best approach here, in my opinion that is, would be firstly stick to there advise exactly and without question.
And with regards to mounting your MAP, you don't have to. The manufacturer has already done an excellent job of it for you.

Can't I just use the stock maf on turbo ?............................
You need both of them.
Again though......... "The manufacturer has already done all this for you".

All the very best
O.T.

Allright , thanks, so apparently I would have to get a MAP and use the MAF too ? But didn't a4 1.8t not come with MAP until 2000? So say I would get a pre 2k Intake manifold , would I be able to still mount it ? Also could this be done with a narrowband ECU 1st, kinda want to keep it low on money, and make sure it works mechnically etc. until getting a wideband 1.8T ecu , if I can find one in my country for not absurd prices. ( Romania ).
_nameless

Allright , thanks, so apparently I would have to get a MAP and use the MAF too ? But didn't a4 1.8t not come with MAP until 2000? So say I would get a pre 2k Intake manifold , would I be able to still mount it ? Also could this be done with a narrowband ECU 1st, kinda want to keep it low on money, and make sure it works mechnically etc. until getting a wideband 1.8T ecu , if I can find one in my country for not absurd prices. ( Romania ).
its a charge pressure sensor that goes pre throttle, its used by the ecu to read charge pressure only it never sees vacuum. you can you your stock naf but youre going to want to run the iat sensor in the intake like normal 1.8t engines. if youre using a stock intercooler(s) then the flange to mount the sensor is on the core end tub

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Blazius

its a charge pressure sensor that goes pre throttle, its used by the ecu to read charge pressure only it never sees vacuum. you can you your stock naf but youre going to want to run the iat sensor in the intake like normal 1.8t engines. if youre using a stock intercooler(s) then the flange to mount the sensor is on the core end tub

Allright. Thanks for the info, I actually dont know where my IAT is on the nonturbo car, gonna have to find it. As for IC i might get an used one from a stock turbo'd car ( not neccessarly audi 1.8t, depends how much one costs for the audi 1.8t) and it still should work right ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: