Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Planning to convert a non turbo 1.8 to turbo - Some questions/help needed  (Read 33767 times)
Blazius

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »

so update:

Got the motor, hopefully its in a working state, was quite cheap for the price, also got a flywheel a stock turbo manifold on it , oil lines etc.
If I take it apart I'll lose warranty so yeah. we will see , I ordered the rest of the parts aswell , timing belt, gaskets etc. Pictures later maybe.
_nameless

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »

Do a compression test if it's even across the board, send it.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Blazius

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »

Do a compression test if it's even across the board, send it.

Sadly, I do not possess a comp tester right now, I can ask my local mechanic to borrow it I guess but its also a few miles away in a shop., I'm gonna take it apart anyway, it was a running motor before the car was dissassembled so I'll take his word for it. Even if its bad , I only need the head really and the exhaust cam so do not worry Smiley

Here are some pics https://imgur.com/a/Cv7Wfxl

Btw is there such a thing as stock 3 bolt to t4 adapter, and how would it work ? cause I am thinking I got a free stock manifold I could just get an adapter maybe ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:19:06 AM by Blazius » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

So, I took the head off today, everything looks fine ,allright wear... except for the tensioner Cheesy completely destroyed, all the valves are fine though. Gonna pull them out tommorow, and give the head a diesel bath.

Took some more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/nT57qyF

Now, all the holes are "broken" - like you can see on pic #2 , is that supposed to be like that or not ?
All in all, im satisfied. Hopefully will go in the car on Saturday.
Blazius

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:15 AM »

Update for today, I took all the valves and stems out (made a homemade tool from a nut and needle nose plier Cheesy) , left the head in some diesel for tonight, gonna clean all the rest tommorow.
I still havent received the parts.. Hopefully tommorow,next week they are saying its gonna get real cold (below 0C and snow ) so I really wanna finnish the car.
I did a leak test, and noticed one of the valves was leaking slighty, can I lap it with toothpaste ? lol Cheesy I dont have access to lapping compounds, or what can I do about it DIY, all the rest were fine and they'll go back in their spots so I aint touching them.
Blazius

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »

Bump,

Getting the parts tommorow, so I can start assembling shite.. still have to clean engine block top and sand the piston a tiny bit. Getting the valve keepers back in is gonna be a PITA ... still dont know what to do about that leaky valve, might just leave it like that, or use an intake valve from the other head. :/.

PS:Marty if u read this, I have sent you a PM, check it out if you want I guess Cheesy
Blazius

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »

Well. I got the car assambled fully today, and its running fine Smiley I'm pleased Smiley Now back to original plan soonTM Cheesy
Blazius

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:03 AM »

Little update:

I am now constructing a flange for the stock manifold , it is already cut , now welded 3 studs( bolts with head cut off) in the flange.

What do you bois think ?

Also I do not know if youg guys heard about this product : https://ecumasterusa.com/collections/piggyback-engine-management/products/digital-ecu-tuner-3-4-bar?variant=8318137860157

it is extremely popular in Europe, because it is very good and you cannot beat the price it can be had for around 190 euros here, 450 usd over there for 4 Bar integrated MAP sensor , 420 for 2.5 bar version.
I am wondering if anynone gave it a try before , or anyone with money willing to do it Tongue

bororobbo

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2018, 03:18:58 AM »

Any t3 turbo installed on that flange is gonna be so flow restricted it's not worth carrying on, your better off buying a cheap chinafold with a t3 port cast onto it they are only £126. Give it a good port and polish it won't be perfect but will be a million times better than running that flange on a stock manifold which is quite restrictive itself. Please do more research on hardware options. What turbo are you using?
Blazius

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2018, 04:33:29 AM »

Any t3 turbo installed on that flange is gonna be so flow restricted it's not worth carrying on, your better off buying a cheap chinafold with a t3 port cast onto it they are only £126. Give it a good port and polish it won't be perfect but will be a million times better than running that flange on a stock manifold which is quite restrictive itself. Please do more research on hardware options. What turbo are you using?

I mean yes I know it will be , but honestly it the circumeference is almost the same as the mouth . Its a t3/t4 turbo, and yes probably I will get a china manifold but for now for 8 psi starters I will put this on.

What i mean basically , there is no restriction in the adapter itself. And yes I know the stock mani is the issue as I said Tongue
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:42:06 AM by Blazius » Logged
woj

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2018, 04:43:18 AM »

Also I do not know if youg guys heard about this product : https://ecumasterusa.com/collections/piggyback-engine-management/products/digital-ecu-tuner-3-4-bar?variant=8318137860157

it is extremely popular in Europe, because it is very good and you cannot beat the price it can be had for around 190 euros here, 450 usd over there for 4 Bar integrated MAP sensor , 420 for 2.5 bar version.
I am wondering if anynone gave it a try before , or anyone with money willing to do it Tongue

I have heard of it, a lot in fact, because I happen to be originally from the country that makes it. In Poland there is hardly any project these days that is not done either on their piggy back system (the ECU tuner) or their full standalone system (EMU). I mean for the projects where going on with the factory ECU is not a viable option (like adding turbo, complete engine swap, or other "heavier" mods). I never tried it (I am a strict factory ECU only person), but apart from problems with some very early hardware (I mean long years ago, they are around for a while now) that are now fixed, I have not heard terrible things (most problems people get are boostrapping the tune process when they have little experience), and people seem to be generally happy with the capabilities and flexibility, though it certainly has limitations. I know at least three people that use(d) these products, one of them holds a 1/4 mile record for his car model in our small type Fiat club. Customer support might be a general random thing in Poland though.
Blazius

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2018, 06:26:49 AM »

Interesting..

I just ran into some unforseen stuff.. The issue is that in stock orentation the turbo is too big downward and to the side too, Pic here;

This is how it would fit.

and this is the space I have

Is there any way to make it fit, the turbine/core juuust would fit from the measuerements but the compressor is too big, and if I clock it the wastegate doesnt match up..
Blazius

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »

So, I am getting an mpps v13 tommorow, to read flash from ECU, but from what I ve seen there are no xdf/definition for this ecu. What can I do, I cant even start looking at things the guides talk about.

I will have to keep this ecu for now and I am planning to run MAF , hopefully someone can help me. If anyone has an xdf or something that would work , that d be amazing.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:11:33 AM by Blazius » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=15390.0title=
Blazius

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »

So little update:

I have ordered some SAAB orange 380cc~@3bar injectors , a Ford Mondeo MK3 2.0 TDDI Intercooler , an AWT 1.8T intake manifold from a passat on christmas, and I am waiting for them now. I have also ordered a 1/8 NPT to AN4 adapter so I could use the stock oil feed from the turboblock so I need to swap over the oil filter housing.

Also made a custom drain for the turbo using the stock drain.

Also been doing some more reading and searching in the bin for maps and other stuff. For now I want to only mess with the timing and finding CWMDAPP codeword in the following days.

Wink
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: