Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Writing/Reading EEPROM ME7 518AK  (Read 3105 times)
fR3ZNO

« on: August 23, 2018, 07:25:06 AM »

Been trying to write to my EEPROM on a B6 A4 1.8T ECU (518AK) I've tried every single supported baud rate and the farthest I get is the "initializing registers" error with 57600 baud rate. Every other baud rate gives me a monitor core launching error. See attached.

Also, is it weird that I have to turn off my power supply and ground pin 24 for boot mode every time I try to write to it?

I'm using a blue kkl cable, only other thing I can think is that I am not using the correct drivers. The drivers were installed automatically when I connected it to my Windows 7 x64 laptop.
316LV

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:34:43 PM »

I would start with a driver directly from FTDI to eliminate that possible issue. I've never had the Windows installed drivers work for me.

Also, try different versions of ME7eeprom. I think the latest is 1.40 but if you are bootmode flashing 1.30 will work too. I've had good luck with 10400 baud when the going gets difficult. I've had times where one version worked but not the others. That said my 518AK eeprom flashed first time, so I can't really offer specific help. I've had more problems with the 032xx ECUs in the past. I think I had to resort to a 'copy' of VAG Commander to get it done once. Made me feel dirty.  Grin

Nothing weird about having to put the ECU in bootmode each time. That is how you have to roll. Once it fails and disconnects, then you start from scratch. I hook a test probe to pin 24 running to ground via a momentary switch. Makes it much easier to get into bootmode consistently. Hold switch, power on, count to seven, release switch and hit enter. Works like a charm.

Start with the official FTDI driver and go from there... Good luck!

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
316LV

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »

I just noticed in your photo you are using COM6. Don't know if that is causing issues for you, but I recall reading way back that only COM1-4 were 'real' ports (direct to the UART), the rest are virtual. I could be talking out of my ass, but hell I'm a pilot not a computer engineer!

It doesn't take much work to open Device Manager and assign your cable to another COM port. Just spitballing ideas, maybe one will work...

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:17:05 AM »

I would start with a driver directly from FTDI to eliminate that possible issue. I've never had the Windows installed drivers work for me.

Also, try different versions of ME7eeprom. I think the latest is 1.40 but if you are bootmode flashing 1.30 will work too. I've had good luck with 10400 baud when the going gets difficult. I've had times where one version worked but not the others. That said my 518AK eeprom flashed first time, so I can't really offer specific help. I've had more problems with the 032xx ECUs in the past. I think I had to resort to a 'copy' of VAG Commander to get it done once. Made me feel dirty.  Grin

Nothing weird about having to put the ECU in bootmode each time. That is how you have to roll. Once it fails and disconnects, then you start from scratch. I hook a test probe to pin 24 running to ground via a momentary switch. Makes it much easier to get into bootmode consistently. Hold switch, power on, count to seven, release switch and hit enter. Works like a charm.

Start with the official FTDI driver and go from there... Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I’ll give those things a try and report back.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:33:50 AM »

Finally got around to messing with the cable drivers, installed the FTDI driver but couldn't even get the COM port to open or recognize it when using ME7_95040 v1.30 (did check the com port assignment and changed to 1 just to be sure). Popped open the blue cable and found it doesn't even have a FTDI chip, actually a CH340. So it appears that Windows was installing the correct driver... since it would come up as USB CH340 or something similar when connected to the computer. Also, with the CH340 driver, it would at least open the COM as shown in the image in the OP.

So now, I'm at a loss. I could have sworn I used this cable forever ago before I bought a legit RossTech cable. Oh well. Perhaps I should just use the RossTech cable in dumb mode instead.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »

Just wanted to update this for anyone searching in the future. Finally tried out my verified FTDI cable and the me7_95040 tool works great... can't believe I banged my head against a wall this long over a $10 cable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: