Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Tuning projects 3.0TFSI Stage 1 SIMOS 8.4  (Read 87177 times)
mtb703

« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2021, 08:13:03 AM »

Yeah, with vcds.  At line 209/210 is when it happens.   Seems the duty cycle drops out to zero before specified drops.  Is that happening due to the limp mode trigger, or is it the cause of the limp mode.  Don't know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HirHVTqRZ6Vnhcsay2MFG3ZeywW9l8cjWyY1ZwVIm8k/edit#gid=0

Since then i've gotten a much better logger, (034) and I've now bumped rail pressure up 15% across the board, in all maps.

Once my current tank runs out, I'm going to give e85 a try again, and log it with more parameters. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:16:55 AM by mtb703 » Logged
garagebuilt

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »

Just finished my logging, spec map was ~2000 hpa, actual ~1950 hpa for the pull, bypass at zero for the entire time.   So lambda and torque are good, now I deal with knock retard.  I'm pretty certain that at my 70% ethanol content, its false knock.  But I ordered TunerNerd's Knock Monitor for some better data.
Have you modified the map “constant for stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (c_mff_fac)”? You’ll need to change that single byte map to match the stoic ratio for the ethanol content you’re running. That’s the first thing we modify on our E40 DP tunes (which make 607hp/566tq with a consistent lambda of .82). I can find the map address for it later.

Since the ECU strategy is based around lambda , not AFR, once that’s changed the ECU does most of the work. Following that, take away a bit of fuel, as ethanol will let you run slightly leaner due to the extra cooling effect. Make all of your changes after those are done.

Also, I assume you’re running an upgraded hpfp already to flow that much content? Ethanol requires a much higher fuel volume for the same amount of power as gasoline, so you’ll easily run into knock/lean conditions with a high content like E70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedrill

« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2021, 08:35:35 AM »

This one?

Basic_INJ_mass_for_HOM_MOD__7035: ""Basic injection mass for homogeneous mode""
Constant for stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (=1/14.7) (c_mff_fac)
garagebuilt

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2021, 09:13:44 AM »

This one?

Basic_INJ_mass_for_HOM_MOD__7035: ""Basic injection mass for homogeneous mode""
Constant for stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (=1/14.7) (c_mff_fac)
C_mff_fac is correct. Edited my previous post. You can find lookup tables online for the different stoich values of various ethanol contents. Simply plug that value in and run some logs

mtb703

« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »

Have you modified the map “constant for stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (c_mff_fac)”? You’ll need to change that single byte map to match the stoic ratio for the ethanol content you’re running. That’s the first thing we modify on our E40 DP tunes (which make 607hp/566tq with a consistent lambda of .82). I can find the map address for it later.

Since the ECU strategy is based around lambda , not AFR, once that’s changed the ECU does most of the work. Following that, take away a bit of fuel, as ethanol will let you run slightly leaner due to the extra cooling effect. Make all of your changes after those are done.

Also, I assume you’re running an upgraded hpfp already to flow that much content? Ethanol requires a much higher fuel volume for the same amount of power as gasoline, so you’ll easily run into knock/lean conditions with a high content like E70.

Yes, of course I modified stoich FAR.   The issue seems to be resolved by bumping rail pressure.   Don't know the exact cause, leading theory now is that I was maxing out the injection window in stratified mode.   I don't care enough to go back and verify, but if anyone else has this issue, that's what I'd look at.   Although I'm not sure how you measure the duty cycle during stratified injection.

Full load pulls (homogenous mode) were never an issue.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:38:36 PM by mtb703 » Logged
jake5874

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »

To turn off SAI you need a switch. Simos 8.3 is so different from 8.5 that you will find it hard to find.

I'm back at it.  I've got PCM Flash and a j2354device from Autel.  Picking up a laptop tomorrow to install the software and drivers and see if I am able to read the ECU file.  I will report back with my ECU File.  Hopefully sometime in the next week.
jake5874

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2021, 09:21:22 PM »

I can confirm PCMFlash works with Autel J2534 device to read and write to SIMOS 8.5 ECU.  I was able to perform a virtual read and then write the bin file back to the ECU.  Everything went smoothly and works as expected. 

Now that I've got the BIN file, I am not sure what to do with it to disable SAI.  Does anyone have any idea?    BIN file is attached.
ktm733

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »

Read the book? It's written in english. One of the easiest booked to read and interpret.
jake5874

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »

Read the book? It's written in english. One of the easiest booked to read and interpret.

The Simot8.5.pdf file?  The one that is 171MB?  I found a lot of info on SAI but not sure where it needs to be changed in the bin file.
garagebuilt

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2021, 07:08:24 AM »

The Simot8.5.pdf file?  The one that is 171MB?  I found a lot of info on SAI but not sure where it needs to be changed in the bin file.
Take a look at the conditions required to enable SAI, and change them so that the conditions are never met.

Really depends what you’re trying to do though. Are you trying to remove SAI from the car completely? Or just get rid of the SAI low flow faults caused by cylinder head carboning?

If you remove it completely you will have to disable the conditions as well as find and remove a few faults for the SAI solenoid and pump being open circuit.

prj

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »

Actually it's enough just to do the correct switches.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
jugu

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2021, 08:12:45 AM »

Hello guys,

i enjoyed reading this whole thread very much and i am happy this exists.
I started tuning my freshly bought Audi S4 B8 and for the start I oriented on simple Stage 1 file is received from a friend who got it from a file service. Now i want to optimize the file and try to gain more HP. It is planned to put in a Single pulley.

I made a pull and logged with VCDS:

I have some question or discussion points:
- In the top rpm range it reaches a max of 1997 hpa or mbar Boost. In your experience, can a higher boost be achieved with a stage 1 setup? Somewhere i read something of 2100 or even 2240 mbar. The targest boost is at 2100 mbar - it propably isnt reached because the bypass valve isnt opening enough?
- The ignition seems not to be maxed at all. 16,5 deg of ignition is not that much, right? How much would you say it can be incread for example with 95 or 98 Octance gas.
- Lambda seems to get pretty fat up 6000 rpm with 0,76. I had my Mini Cooper S at 0,80 lambda.
- Someone knows the value "Kompressorregelklappe: PWM Ansteuerung" - it propably is not the bypass of the super charger right?
- "Saugrohrdruck: absolut" should be the current boost, right? And "Ladedruck: Sollwert - MAP_SP" is the target boost i reckon.

Can you give a advice for other more useful values to log in VCDS (for example Zündwinkelrücknahme and the real value for the charger bypass valve).
Thank you guys, i am looking forward to a cool discussion and some gained ponies Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:35:46 AM by jugu » Logged
prj

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »

Start by learning how an engine works and how the hardware on your engine works before trying to log the car or do anything with the ECU.
As it stands now you have no clue. What do you expect to accomplish with software when you don't understand hardware?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
jugu

« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »

Thank you for your answer. I know how engines work.
Tuning gas engines is a relatively new topic for me. The only gas engine i tuned is my mini Cooper S. Instead of 174 ps it now got approx 230-240 ps (ori 24s 100-200 kmh measured with dragy, now 13,8 sec). The mini got 20 deg of timing and a peak boost pressure of 1.7 bar (without athmo.)
I have got more experience with diesel engines. I tuned my 330d f30 in the last 2 years (daily and project car): it now got 492 hp and 925 nm and runs 8.14 measured with dragy from 100-200. the software i did myself and also the hatdware mods (m550d pump, new injectors, downpipe, turbosystem turbo based on gtb2256 and so on).

Ps.: nice to be insulted first thing after becoming a new member in a forum.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:57:54 AM by jugu » Logged
garagebuilt

« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »

Hello guys,

i enjoyed reading this whole thread very much and i am happy this exists.
I started tuning my freshly bought Audi S4 B8 and for the start I oriented on simple Stage 1 file is received from a friend who got it from a file service. Now i want to optimize the file and try to gain more HP. It is planned to put in a Single pulley.

I made a pull and logged with VCDS:

I have some question or discussion points:
- In the top rpm range it reaches a max of 1997 hpa or mbar Boost. In your experience, can a higher boost be achieved with a stage 1 setup? Somewhere i read something of 2100 or even 2240 mbar. The targest boost is at 2100 mbar - it propably isnt reached because the bypass valve isnt opening enough?
- The ignition seems not to be maxed at all. 16,5 deg of ignition is not that much, right? How much would you say it can be incread for example with 95 or 98 Octance gas.
- Lambda seems to get pretty fat up 6000 rpm with 0,76. I had my Mini Cooper S at 0,80 lambda.
- Someone knows the value "Kompressorregelklappe: PWM Ansteuerung" - it propably is not the bypass of the super charger right?
- "Saugrohrdruck: absolut" should be the current boost, right? And "Ladedruck: Sollwert - MAP_SP" is the target boost i reckon.

Can you give a advice for other more useful values to log in VCDS (for example Zündwinkelrücknahme and the real value for the charger bypass valve).
Thank you guys, i am looking forward to a cool discussion and some gained ponies Smiley
Boost is determined by the size of the supercharger pulley, just as on your Mini Cooper. That being said, if you log the car stock you will see that much of the factory boost (12.4psi) is bled off at the top end. You can limit this bleed off by modifying the appropriate torque and airflow limiting maps. I’d start with getting a hold of the SIMOS FR and understanding how the airflow and torque interact, and it will become clear which maps need to be further modified to achieve your goals. I’ve seen the file supplier tunes for this ECU and they modify WAY more maps than what is required, some of which make very little sense (such as raising the pressure limit before the supercharger, showing a limited knowledge of the ECU logic).

The timing maps aren’t black and white on this ECU either. There’s a reason they’re called “additional reference angle” maps.

Do some FR reading first! They are very rewarding ECUs to tune, and very simple changes go a long way.

Bill

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: