Pages: [1]
Author Topic: C16x/ST10 Minimon Bootstrapping Questions  (Read 7647 times)
360trev

« on: September 21, 2018, 04:17:12 AM »

Anyone who's explored this before care to elaborate?

Without reverse engineering the Visual Basic developed minimon app can anyone answer how (Via a serial K-Line session) the app is able to get the C16x from boot mode into running its own developed ROM from but from RAM?

I wouldn't mind writing a few simple apps which boot up entirely from an own built rom (anyone got the basic sdk from Siemens still which handles all the boot strapping? I think I saw some example code in the Minimon folder that I need to look further at actually...) and exercise the hardware such as the Analogue to Digital interfaces, CAN bus, etc.

Q. Why would anyone want to do this?
Well it would allow me to use some of the old collected (cheap as chips) ME7 ECU's I have as 'weather hardened' mini re-usable development boards for all kinds of universal purposes outside of the Automotive world. Sort of like an Arduino, hell we could even do an Arduino GUI for it so that you could run a lot of arduino code on a ME7 ecu, that would be funny Wink

woj

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »

Not a direct answer, and it actually took me a while to dig this out (I came across this long long time ago when I had problems with k-line communication on one of my flashing bootloaders, it was not trivial to find I remember):

http://www.rigelcorp.com/16bitsoft.htm

There you will find the Toolkit.zip file that has some ASM sources for a mini monitor.

Again, I am totally unsure if this is what you are after, or if you have not seen it already, but just maybe.
360trev

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:29 AM »

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed!
woj

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »

I suggest you archive the whole site then, because the fact that this over 20 years old stuff is still out there and alive is almost a miracle.
360trev

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »

I suggest you archive the whole site then, because the fact that this over 20 years old stuff is still out there and alive is almost a miracle.

Done!

And just for anyone else who wants to know how it works...

Bootstrapping a C16x Microcontroller

The C16x microcontrollers bootstraps given that certain hardware conditions are met, upon a hardware reset, the processor goes into the bootstrap mode.  Once in the bootstrap mode, the processor activates the asynchronous serial port S0 and follows the steps below (see reference 3):

1. Wait for a 0x00 byte
2. When received, send the handshake byte 0x55
3. Wait for 32 more bytes and place them in internal RAM starting at address 0FA40h
4. Once all 32 bytes are received, start execution from 0FA40h

Bootstrapping can be viewed as a procedure to serially load a 32-byte program into internal RAM and execute it. Clearly, 32 bytes is not enough to program the internal FLASH.  We use the 32-byte program to load another program, which in turn may load the larger programs needed to program the internal FLASH. 

This multi-stage loading is typical in all C16x family bootstrapping operations.

The first 32 bytes is perhaps the most important.  Here is the code that we will use.

Code:
#define CODESIZE 176
      org   0FA40h
; --- load code immediately following the boot script ---
      mov   r0, #0FA60h
; --- loop to load the received code ---
LOOP:
      jnb   S0RIR, W0              ; wait for byte
movb  [r0], S0RBUF           ; store byte
      bclr  S0RIR                  ; clear receive flag
      movb  S0TBUF, [r0]           ; echo the byte
      jnb   S0TIR, $
      bclr  S0TIR
; increment pointer and check size
      cmpi1 R0, #(0FA60h + CODESIZE - 1)
      jmpr  cc_NE, LOOP            ; repeat if more bytes
      nop                          ; filler bytes
#include <sfr166.inc>              ; SFRs are defined here

The bootstrap code constructs a loop of instructions to receive a specified number of bytes from the serial port and place them starting at FA60h. The address FA60h is not arbitrary.  The 32-byte code is downloaded and placed starting from FA40h.  The last of the 32-byte code is thus placed in FA5Fh.  Consequently, FA60h is the address of the byte (or word) immediately following the 32-byte block of bootstrap code.  Provided that the bootstrap code does not branch away, the instruction at FA60h is the first instruction to be executed once the bootstrap code is finished.

Let us dissect the code. The code specifies the origin to be FA40h.  Note that such address information will be stripped away while only the 32 bytes of instructions will be sent to the processor.  The origin is useful, though, in developing the bootstrap code.  Once assembled, the resultant list file shows the memory locations the various instructions occupy. Register R0 is used as a pointer, initialized to 0FA60h. 

The loop starts with label LOOP and ends with the instruction “jmpr  cc_NE, LOOP”.  The loop waits for the receive interrupt flag of serial port 0 (S0RIR) to be set.  This condition indicates that a byte has been received and is available at the S0 receive buffer.  The byte just received is placed in internal RAM at the address held by the pointer R0.

Next, the flag S0RIR is cleared so that it may similarly be interrogated for the next byte. The byte just received is also echoed back to the host.  This allows the host to verify that all bytes sent arecorrectly received by the processor.  The byte is echoed back simply by copying it into the S0 transmit buffer S0TBUF.  The program waits until the byte is actually transmitted.  That is, the code waits for the S0 transmit interrupt request (S0TIR) flag to be set.  Once set, the flag is cleared, making it ready for the next transmission.  The next task is to see if all bytes are received.  The macro CODESIZE is initialized to the length of the program that the loop downloads.  The last byte in the program is loaded into the memory location (0FA60h + CODESIZE – 1).  Note that the “cmpi1” instruction not only compares register R0 to the constant (0FA60h + CODESIZE – 1), but also increments the register R0.  This updates the pointer R0 so that the bytes received are stored at consecutive locations.

The loop terminates when CODESIZE number of bytes are received.  The last instruction is a “no operation” or “nop” instruction.  This is needed since the bootstrap code must be exactly 32 bytes
long.  The initialization of register R0 and the loop collectively take 30 bytes.  The last instruction brings the bootstrap code length to 32 bytes.  This is where the list file, mentioned above, comes
in handy.  You may verify the size of the bootstrap program by inspecting the list file.

Note that the code to be downloaded should not overwrite the Special Function Registers (SFR) area immediately following the internal RAM.  The C166 SFRs start at FE00h.  If the bootstrap
code uses Peripheral Event Controllers (PECs), the PEC pointers in the region [FDE0..FDFFh] should also be off limits to the bootstrap code.  Using this scheme we have a code space of
[FA60h..FDDFh] or 896 bytes.  Internal RAM is also used for the registers and the stack.

Fortunately, we have a total of 64 more bytes at the low end of internal RAM, namely the block [0FA00h..0FA5Fh].  Half of this ([0FA40h-FA5Fh] is where the 32-byte bootstrap code was
loaded.  The 32-byte bootstrap code is discardable.  That is, once loaded and used, this memory is available for other use.  We will use the memory below 0FA60h for the stack and the registers.
Of course, if the system has external RAM, the loop could be initialized to download bytes directly into external memory.  Since external RAM is typically much larger than internal RAM, very large
programs can be downloaded and run with this approach. Most commercial C166 monitors are downloaded in this manner.

If all FLASH programming routines would fit in a 896-byte block, we could have simply downloaded the routines and run them.  Unfortunately, the 88C166 FLASH programming is a bit
more involved.  Moreover, we would like our scheme to be versatile to accommodate downloading and running routines other than just those for FLASH programming. These considerations lead to the adoption of a standard way of loading and running programs. We will call these programs “applications.”  This is typically the job of an operating system.  So, by all practical means, we need to write an operating system for our internal-RAM-only operations.  You may have noticed that in the bootstrap loop, a code size of 176 bytes is specified, much less than the 896-byte or so block available.  This 176-byte code is actually a very small operating system.

woj

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »

Three comments:

1. The acknowledgement byte 0x55 differs for some particular types of ST10, IIRC.

2. There is a similar procedure to boot via CAN, if there is one. The boot code is then larger, don't remember how big though.

3. My code for ME7.9.10 boot flasher is exactly 942 bytes and does flashing, eeprom reading / writing through SPI, data RL de-compression, CRC calculation, and serial communication with the host PC. Everything is doable if you skim on every possible instruction / register. It all fits into IRAM and uses external RAM for buffering large blocks of data to be flashed.
360trev

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »

Three comments:

1. The acknowledgement byte 0x55 differs for some particular types of ST10, IIRC.

2. There is a similar procedure to boot via CAN, if there is one. The boot code is then larger, don't remember how big though.

3. My code for ME7.9.10 boot flasher is exactly 942 bytes and does flashing, eeprom reading / writing through SPI, data RL de-compression, CRC calculation, and serial communication with the host PC. Everything is doable if you skim on every possible instruction / register. It all fits into IRAM and uses external RAM for buffering large blocks of data to be flashed.

Very good to know...
Point 3 is pretty damn impressive and I wish more developers these days understood this lesson.

..I recall doing boot loader competitions back in the 90's (just for the hell of it!) developing in Motorola 680x0 assembly language (which just happens to be the same instruction set inside the TCU's, lol so I understand that code in my sleep as I wrote it for over a decade Wink. Anyway, the best one I achieved was to do a full 3D rotating fully light sourced vector cube in the 1k boot block and still boot the computer up Wink
360trev

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »

Found a whole tresure chest of source-codes and information on this site...

http://alt.ife.tugraz.at/datashts/Siemens/

OMG.. Some of this dates back to 1992 Wink 
gt-innovation

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

Found a whole tresure chest of source-codes and information on this site...

http://alt.ife.tugraz.at/datashts/Siemens/

OMG.. Some of this dates back to 1992 Wink 

check your mail...hope those things help for further development.Some you might have some you might not.
DT

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 06:16:03 AM »

I think I recall you writing in an e85 thread that you had no commercial intrerest in your ME7 work but rather for your own satisfaction. Would you share those 942bytes or atleast the eeprom related code bytes? It would be VERY nice to also be able to handle the spi eeprom directly in minimon or even in a custom coded .exe if that is what you do.

woj

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »

I'll think about it Wink My lack of response earlier on about this is mostly due to absolute lack of time at the moment. Also, my code is a mess (also because it's  short Wink), needs going over before publishing.
360trev

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 04:38:25 AM »

I'll think about it Wink My lack of response earlier on about this is mostly due to absolute lack of time at the moment. Also, my code is a mess (also because it's  short Wink), needs going over before publishing.

I think it would be fantastic to release some more of the ME7 source-codes, warts and all.

Happy to do a clean up exercise first if you wanted to throw it my way for example. Right now my ME7.3H4 ecu that I'm working on is 19 years old (!)...And I agree there will be few people commercially concerned about ecu's of this vintage Wink However for owners its like getting a christmas present early...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: