Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can mbox be flashed to jbox?  (Read 11575 times)
Jason

Breaks everything!

« on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »

I know you can cross-flash A/M/T but I'm just wondering if the tip boxes can be used on 6MT cars with an M bin?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

Yes. As far as I know, all 2.7T ecus are interchangeable.

Except, if your car requires an immobilizer, you must use an ECU with an immobilizer. I think this only affects the Allroad.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Nosbeui

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »

In some instances it is required to have the serial EEPROM paired with it's corresponding flash's box. For instance I flashed a M-box file on what was an A-box ecu and had to change the serial EEPROM to the one I read from the M-box. However I know you are able to flash an M-box file over a H-box ecu without changing the serial EEPROM.

Basically the safe bet is to be able to match the two. I use the same method discussed on this forum to modify the serial EEPROM; with a universal eeprom programmer and a surface mount device test clip. Covered here http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.15

Also in the serial EEPROM is the immobilizer, fault codes, adaptation channels (the values modified by lemmiwinks or unisettings) and perhaps most importantly the magic hex value that bricks your ecu.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »

Supporting EEPROM reading and writing over OBD is a feature I am hoping to add in the near future.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »

In some instances it is required to have the serial EEPROM paired with it's corresponding flash's box. For instance I flashed a M-box file on what was an A-box ecu and had to change the serial EEPROM to the one I read from the M-box. However I know you are able to flash an M-box file over a H-box ecu without changing the serial EEPROM.

Basically the safe bet is to be able to match the two. I use the same method discussed on this forum to modify the serial EEPROM; with a universal eeprom programmer and a surface mount device test clip. Covered here http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.15

Also in the serial EEPROM is the immobilizer, fault codes, adaptation channels (the values modified by lemmiwinks or unisettings) and perhaps most importantly the magic hex value that bricks your ecu.

Interesting.  I knew that the adaptation values and DTC's were stored in a separate eeprom, but I didn't know they were essentially paired to a rom.  I knew that in the past for example, that you couldn't simply sell a GIAC flashed 29F800BB, because the flash was serialized to the ECU.  In retrospect I should have sold that complete ECU and bought a spare box to send in for the current tune.

What I'm wondering though is if I'm going to have issues since my current ECU is an A box with an M bin + tune.  Don't think so... I also don't have an immobilizer.  If I used the J box, I supposed I could always use the low-melt to release the chip and swap it to the other ECU.
Nosbeui

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »

Interesting.  I knew that the adaptation values and DTC's were stored in a separate eeprom, but I didn't know they were essentially paired to a rom.  I knew that in the past for example, that you couldn't simply sell a GIAC flashed 29F800BB, because the flash was serialized to the ECU.  In retrospect I should have sold that complete ECU and bought a spare box to send in for the current tune.

What I'm wondering though is if I'm going to have issues since my current ECU is an A box with an M bin + tune.  Don't think so... I also don't have an immobilizer.  If I used the J box, I supposed I could always use the low-melt to release the chip and swap it to the other ECU.

Sounds like you're good to go if your A box already has an M box flash. You can try flashing a M box file onto the J box, if it starts you win, if not no big deal nothing will be harmed as long as the flash's checksums were good.

Supporting EEPROM reading and writing over OBD is a feature I am hoping to add in the near future.

This is awesome pro level stuff right here!
SixSeven

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »

Could anyone more knowledgeable than me elaborate on what symptoms could arise from a mismatched flash and EEPROM?  I've been trying to get a 4B0907551T ECU to run an m-box file, and I haven't been able to get the car started.  Seems the ignition (ICM's and coil packs) isn't being powered.  I just over-wrote the EEPROM with an m-box bin provided by ddillenger.  We'll see if that works.  Thanks in advance!
Vrmm

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 05:25:51 AM »

I can definitely eff some ecu's up figuring out out for you. I have about 10 that I'm never going to use. Thus far an esp light is all that has  popped up. That was naturally aspirated immo 3 passat into first my 01 apb AR which worked /tuned /flashed great, then sold to Mr Og 4b0 apb also. I will say with absolute confidence until I ponder possible rude responses, any 4Z7, 4B0, and 8D0 will work. Ending in J, m, AA, l, yada yada has not mattered once for me. You must must must nix the immobilizer first. I've never been able to write to one. I shaved off 200k miles, and I have no immobilizer, but never been in boot mode successfully, nor reading via me7_tool.exe 1.3 preferred I can get the files but never flash them.

I just found a sticky note with a ecu sticker on it.. It's from an immo 3 n/a 2.8 95040 400bb... Same thing I did with the 4bo mentioned earlier, solder 800bb on, but only after getting the matching cluster and ecu. It's too early so I honestly can't recall how.. Vwtool or vag k+ 2.5. I think but truly can't recall (I'll have to search one of my laptops) I do end up cmd prompt flashing vin and such. Idk point being loads of compatibility s4wiki doesn't even touch. I've spent over a week hours and hours at junk yards documenting what pn's have what eeprom and memory layout. Also got about 15 ecu's from local shops which was nice of them. All dead, but chips  are all that matter.

Just realized this is like 8 years old.. Oh well...nefmoto for ya.

Having an allroad myself, I have found apb a6's to be no different. Allroads are always claimed to be more complex. When I started out it took me 2 successful flashes before I was lied  to and 'good checksums' was actually a lie via checking on cmd or guilt. With the 4b0 a6. Litteraly dead serious, within 10 minutes it was bricked. No resistor, not pin, voltage, time held or not held brought either back. That said boot mode is a farce.
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:04 AM »

All apb ecus are cross flashable end of story. If you flash the s4 m box or a box file to a allroad or a6 that has immo it immo offs the a6 or allroad ecu without having to touch the eeprom. The 2.8 ecus are cross flashible but are missing hardware. Visual inspection of the 2.8 v6 ecu and the 2.7t ecu will show this. Its the same deal with the 1.8t ecus vs the me7.5 2l 8v ecus. They are cross flashable but the 2l ecu is missing hardware for vvt and n75 ti say the least.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Vrmm

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:08 AM »

N75's are unnecessary if you roll with wastegate pressure or manually control them so that's not a big deal. 2.8na on 4b0 2.7t has been perfectly running for months now minus abs and esp. Controlling vvt, (this may be a dumb question), didn't need to be controlled as default 'normal' timing will run it  just fine?
_nameless

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »

N75's are unnecessary if you roll with wastegate pressure or manually control them so that's not a big deal. 2.8na on 4b0 2.7t has been perfectly running for months now minus abs and esp. Controlling vvt, (this may be a dumb question), didn't need to be controlled as default 'normal' timing will run it  just fine?
you really have no clue what youre talking about. the ecu uses pid boost control because the turbos are so small that they will make 5 psi when you rev the car stationary. if you remove the pid style control and use a manual type boost controller part throttle will be jerky. the car will start to build boost for seemingly no reason at part throttle then will loose all boost after the spring rate on the dv / bov cant old close anymore and blows open from the pressure drop across the throttle to the intake manifold. bleed off tee will suck on full throttle because youll have the wastegates open while the car is building boost. you will loose all your tq. both the 30v 2.8 and 2.7t have single vvt so thats irreverent non working esp is most likely youve crossed flashed a later software version onto a chassis that doesnt support esp. simple coding changes will fix this and are covered in nye's wiki and on the forum several times

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »

N75's are unnecessary if you roll with wastegate pressure

Have fun with part throttle.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SixSeven

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »

Just in case anyone runs into this in the future, I did finally get the car running using the M-box flashed 4B0907551T.  It was a simple wiring issue, nothing immobilizer related.  So long as the immobilizer has been disabled, I haven't found any evidence to suggest this would lead to any issues.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: