Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First time flashing my B5S4 issues  (Read 4180 times)
BlownCorona

« on: December 22, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »

Hi there.

Was plesently surprised to find a noob questions area.
Im flashing my 2001 B5 S4 to turn off the EGTs, the car is completly stock and i believe ive edited the .bin file corectly in order to shut them off.
CDATR, CDATS and CATR all set to 0. checksum corrected and checked with ME7check as OK.

its a 551n box using an R box definition which is apparently compatible.

Editing seemed to go smoothly but when i go to write the modded .bin i get this message

i tried flashing the original .bin and i get the same message.

at this point i proverbially shit myself and disconnected, verified the car still starts and came inside to try and figure out whats going on.
im not all that keen on erasing the entire flash if i dont at least have some kind of good idea that itll work.

i dont have a spare ECU on hand and i dont have gear to bootmode recover.

Im hoping someone with alot more experience here will be able to give me a kick in the right direction.

the car was hooked to a battery charge aswell. if you need any other details do let me know!
_nameless

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:42:21 AM »

Hi there.

Was plesently surprised to find a noob questions area.
Im flashing my 2001 B5 S4 to turn off the EGTs, the car is completly stock and i believe ive edited the .bin file corectly in order to shut them off.
CDATR, CDATS and CATR all set to 0. checksum corrected and checked with ME7check as OK.

Editing seemed to go smoothly but when i go to write the modded .bin i get this message

i tried flashing the original .bin and i get the same message.

at this point i proverbially shit myself and disconnected, verified the car still starts and came inside to try and figure out whats going on.
im not all that keen on erasing the entire flash if i dont at least have some kind of good idea that itll work.

Im hoping someone with alot more experience here will be able to give me a kick in the right direction.

the car was hooked to a battery charge aswell. if you need any other details do let me know!

ive had that error before. just continue the write and delete the whole sector. with that said you should always have a bootmode setup just in case the shit hits the fan

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
opticaltrigger

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 04:16:40 AM »

Hi,
I bricked my ecu up sometime back, from there it got worse with me panicking and foolishly changing out ecu's, clusters, and keys etc.

Honestly,.... It was the best thing that happened to me through this process. It forced me to start reading and learning about Bootmode and doing it on the bench. It would have been impossible for me by the way, without the help that I was given through this forum but I had a crude bench harness rigged up in 90 minutes or so.

Bootmode isn't hard at all it turns out, and as Marty said, you really should get that up and running first. 

All the best
O.T.

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
Alex1188

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »

I'd be careful, alot of the time this error happens when the ECU has a chip or has been locked down from vendor flash like APR.

If it's a chipped ECU your gonna screw your self and end up bricking it.

My suggestion is to pop open the ECU see if it's chipped and go from there. You never know your could have an APR emcs chip that is in a stock mode.
BlownCorona

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »

It's very unlikely that the ecu is chipped. But I will pop it open and make sure now.

I'll look into what's involved with a boot mode setup, I had hoped since I was only making a small change that it would be pretty risk free but I can't afford to knock this car out of service as its my daily and the shed is already full of projects!

Can anyone explain why I'm getting this error? Even when I try flash with the original file?

Things I've considered but may not matter are ;

The baudrate in device manager was set to 9600 and in nef it was at 34800 during the read, would this cause the data to be copied wrong in the first place?

The ftdi cable may not have the correct d2xx driver, I had downloaded it to my computer and tried to use a different cable that turned out not to be ftdi, the new cable plugged in and worked right away so I didn't think about it.

Cheers for the help!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »

I don't know of any 8d0 ... 551R file, let alone a def for it, I would be surprised if it is compatible with n, and if it is an s4 you shouldn't be using 4z at all, thats for damn sure.

Use 551M and call it a day, you're asking for trouble.

Bad move.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
BlownCorona

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 11:49:10 PM »

i did not even notice the R def wasnt an 8d0 file! ive downloaded the 551M file you posted Nyet

would this have caused the issues ive seen? or given that when i tried to flash the original bin i ripped from the ecu. has the issue happened somewhere else.
perhaps an issue with an incorrect driver, or disparity between the baud in nef and the baud set on the cable in device manager?

ill make sure i have a boot mode setup before i try again, but for obvious reasons id like to nail and issues before i run into them!
BlownCorona

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »

This afternoon i followed up with my promise to take a look inside the ECU

turns out it does have some sort of chip in there and i had no idea! and im not really sure at what point it would have been fitted as all the previous owners wernt the 'type' its a new zealand new car also.

given that i was comfortable deleting my EGT sensors because the car was 'stock' this may no longer be the case, even if i could reflash it. i think ill probably look into the SID Motorsport EGT modules and leave the ECU alone.

if anyone has seen the markings on this chip before do let me know and i can turn up any info on who carried out the work
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »

Why bother? Get a spare ecu, they're cheap.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
BlownCorona

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »

Nothing is cheap in new Zealand heh.

One day I'll get another ecu and get back into it, but for now I just need the car to not be permanently in limp mode.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »

Then you'll have to desolder the riser, replace the flash with a stock flash, and bootmode it back to stock.

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: