Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2003 allroad with diesel holset turbo 400-420hp goal.  (Read 8866 times)
boostaddict1989

« on: February 03, 2019, 02:10:09 AM »

Was rebuilding 2001 S4 top end and doing single turbo when my workspace caught fire destroying my new built heads. Found  half decent shell of an 03 all road at a parts yard for about a grand. Bel heads are being refurbished and ferrea valves installed. My S4 apb block only had 140xxx on in with good compression. Metal Waterpump/timing belt kit. Valve springs still up to factory spec and I'm not really needing to wind it any higher than stock. Electric fan/radiator fan delete. Wideband and boost gauges. Stage 4 sprung full face kevlar clutch from California clutch. Steel single mass flywheel. S4 manual drivetrain swap. Trying to decide on blow through or draw through maf. Ev14 650cc? They are angled the same direction as factory injectors but have 6 holes instead of 2.. they are extended tip nozzle. R8 red coils. Copper plugs. Was gonna do a walbro in line booster fuel pump as I'm only running a 2.7 bar pfr. 21mm rear sway bar and supporting subframe mods might incorperate a spoiler tower that attatches to the framerail @ bumper moints and the subframe. Exhaust should be straight 3" to dual 2.25 no cats and a single muffler on each end. I went with a slightly wider tire than stock which is also slightly larger in diameter. My thoughts are that the S4 01e first gear is almost pointlessly tall on the S4. So with the slightly heavier car and tires rotation mass and longer "rollout" that first gear may balance out to be more practical or slightly taller but still have that aggressive pull as well as lower cruising rpms at 70mph in 6th for fuel mileage. I never do full launches. I believe the holset turbo is either an he35 or hy35. It was from a diesel v8 pickup. And has an internal wastegate and a t3 flange. I rebuilt it and had it balanced. photos and more details tomorrow at some point. Was just beginning a build log and opening up a channel for ideas or suggestions.
boostaddict1989

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »

Was rebuilding 2001 S4 top end and doing single turbo when my workspace caught fire destroying my new built heads. Found  half decent shell of an 03 all road at a parts yard for about a grand. Bel heads are being refurbished and ferrea valves installed. My S4 apb block only had 140xxx on in with good compression. Metal Waterpump/timing belt kit. Valve springs still up to factory spec and I'm not really needing to wind it any higher than stock. Electric fan/radiator fan delete. Wideband and boost gauges. Stage 4 sprung full face kevlar clutch from California clutch. Steel single mass flywheel. S4 manual drivetrain swap. Trying to decide on blow through or draw through maf. Ev14 650cc? They are angled the same direction as factory injectors but have 6 holes instead of 2.. they are extended tip nozzle. R8 red coils. Copper plugs. Was gonna do a walbro in line booster fuel pump as I'm only running a 2.7 bar pfr. 21mm rear sway bar and supporting subframe mods might incorperate a spoiler tower that attatches to the framerail @ bumper moints and the subframe. Exhaust should be straight 3" to dual 2.25 no cats and a single muffler on each end. I went with a slightly wider tire than stock which is also slightly larger in diameter. My thoughts are that the S4 01e first gear is almost pointlessly tall on the S4. So with the slightly heavier car and tires rotation mass and longer "rollout" that first gear may balance out to be more practical or slightly taller but still have that aggressive pull as well as lower cruising rpms at 70mph in 6th for fuel mileage. I never do full launches. I believe the holset turbo is either an he35 or hy35. It was from a diesel v8 pickup. And has an internal wastegate and a t3 flange. I rebuilt it and had it balanced. photos and more details tomorrow at some point. Was just beginning a build log and opening up a channel for ideas or suggestions.

*****For everyones information you should not make an attempt to purchase a clutch from california clutch. It has been a scam for years now after looking into it more. Oleg is some foreign punk ass. *****

Got my money back and got a jhm clutch with single mass steel flywheel instead. It arrived quickly and looks like a nice piece of hardware. I think with the (r) disc I got it with it it's rated to 425tq~. It's a shame you cant see it in the car lol. Photos will be taken once assembly starts.

I've been having back issues so work is at a snails pace. I have to strip, hone and paint my engine block and order a couple more odds and ends. Then I'm good for assembly. I found out the turbo is an he341. We drilled new dowel locations on both sides to clock it properly. May need to have the face plate machined for an o-ring. Trying to go without but its not difficult to remove if i have issues with it not sealing. With legit 360 thrust bearing rebuild kit and balancing it was $350. Wastegate is 20-21.5 psi

I decided to go with 0-280-158-123 bosch injectors I found for a good deal and shaved the fuel rail mounts 1/4" so they seat fully and the heat shields are flush with the openings. Fuel pump will be typical home brew in-tank bosch. 2.7bar bosch fpr.

Got some cheap good condition but basic oem replacement coilovers for now.
Got a 21.5 mm sway-bar for the rear end.

This may sound retarded or frickin sweet depending on if you're a butthole or not. I was going to raise the spare tire compartment and trim the lip of the bumper up a few inches. Full single 3" exhaust to single muffler and tailpipe for legal purposes in Oregon. Design a bracket that mounts the larger 21.5mm swaybar to a plate to bars which mount a defuser to a bracket at the bumper/frame rails to a tower for a gt/rally style wing. I'm gonna build the tower so it can be quickly detached with a key for rear hatch access and anti-theft/safety.  Remove the compressor and crap for the stock suspension and re-mount the battery in a box in front of the spare tire. Taking the rear brakes from my s4 as well as my stop-tech front bbk.

The idea is to put the weight bias securely farther back and increase cornering stability during spirited driving and in less than ideal road conditions. And to look totally rad bra...

My factory stock plastic front skid plate isn't in bad shape so I planned on just backing it partially with 1/8" aluminum. Im gonna make a transmission support/crossbar/transmission shield mount.

Turbo timer and wideband/boost/oil pressure/egt multi-gauge will go where the suspension adjustment buttons went. I'll feed the narrow-band outputs of the boost pressure and one of the wideband controllers outputs through the secondary o2 inputs for me7 visual logger. I'm gonna replace factory egts with wideband sensors/controllers at stock-as-possible locations and route outputs accordingly to try and maintain factory exhaust sensors/ecu egt and o2 dynamic.

Rathe carrrr   nnnnnyyyYYYEEoooooowwwwwwwnnh
Blazius

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Good luck.
boostaddict1989

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »

Good luck.

My luck has been terrible...? lol. I appreciate the word of encouragement  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: