Pages: [1]
Author Topic: flashing concerns  (Read 3248 times)
dilly

« on: February 08, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »

to anyone that knows
if i were to get an ecu/car with a tune on it already, and perhaps that tune is "read locked" or whatever you want to call it,
can i boot mode read it to have that as a back up file and reflash it later possibly without issues?

not really sure how it works
and no i am not looking to rip an off the shelf tune to give to others. it is only for my ecu and mine only for dev purposes of creating a new file and always having a working/running file to fall back to.
thank you
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »

Might help to know which ecu you're talking about. Could also just get a spare ecu and immo off.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
dilly

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:42:57 PM »

Might help to know which ecu you're talking about. Could also just get a spare ecu and immo off.

i am not concerned about the immo at all
objective is to not buy a spare ecu. that's why i posted otherwise this topic wouldn't exist
i am only asking if you bootmode read a locked file can you flash it again without a problem? either obd or bootmode write to the same ecu, not another ecu with same part #'s.
for theory sake say it is a m box
vwaudiguy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »

The question(s) you're asking 100% depend on what ecu, and in most cases, which tuner. It's sort of like asking a contractor "how much to build me a house".

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
dilly

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »

The question(s) you're asking 100% depend on what ecu, and in most cases, which tuner. It's sort of like asking a contractor "how much to build me a house".
all do respect why does it matter what tuner or ecu? i am not trying to flash the ripped request upload disabled file onto another ecu. all i want to do is back it up cause it is a known working file for that car. so if i dont like the file i make i can go back to the known working one.

for a fyi also ecu number is undetermined due to the fact i am looking at vehicles to buy. due to most of them being tuned and i am assuming via off the shelf software i would like to eventually due my own file
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:49:10 PM »

all do respect why does it matter what tuner or ecu?

Do want an accurate answer or not? Because it depends.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dilly

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »

Do want an accurate answer or not? Because it depends.
m box or a box
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »

does it have a riser?

is the eeprom stock?

If you can't answer the latter, you're going to have to provide the name of the tuner.

Either way, considering the availability of community tunes for the M (I assume you mean 2.7t) I don't see that preserving the tune has any value whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:58:47 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dilly

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »

does it have a riser?

is the eeprom stock?

If you can't answer the latter, you're going to have to provide the name of the tuner.

Either way, considering the availability of community tunes for the M (I assume you mean 2.7t) I don't see that preserving the tune has any value whatsoever.
ok considering that you mentioned it does the riser usually mean other encryption rather than request upload disabled?
because i dont see the point of looks for a riser. obviously a valid reason to add a riser

and yes i know the community files are easily at the ready. but whole point of my reason is to have a back up that works for a fallback just in case something doesn't work out correctly

thanks for the insight, i am learning
keep hitting me with the facts
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: