Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can CH340 be used to log / with ME7Logger  (Read 7348 times)
Blazius

« on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »

Long story short I bought a blue cable local, turns out it has ch340 chip..(this was ages ago). I tried figuring it out with Logger,Lemminwinks and other stuff I was messing around with and it didnt seem to work.
Recently - few months back - I tried it again , new OS , etc. still couldnt get it to work. I used the CH chip drivers, maybe I could try with cdm/ftdi ones. I also have a VCDS clone( Atmege,rs232, and ftdi apparently) but couldnt get that to work either ages ago with lemminwinks , dumb or not it didnt matter, so I wanna ask the pros here ( so you dont ree @ me when I post vcds logs in the future lol).

So some people said you can use CH340 to log with ME7logger, is this true ? So far ive seen nothing else just that you can apparently.
Cheers.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »

I've never gotten one to work.

Certainly the "USB" mode of ME7L requires the FTDI usb dll.

The nefmoto flasher requires an FTDI cable so I never bothered to try very hard to get any other cable to work.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Blazius

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

I've never gotten one to work.

Certainly the "USB" mode of ME7L requires the FTDI usb dll.

The nefmoto flasher requires an FTDI cable so I never bothered to try very hard to get any other cable to work.

I'll try to mess around with the drivers in the coming days, also with vcds cable too, maybe it works somehow Cheesy

Aside this what the hell ch340 is good for lol..
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »

I'll try to mess around with the drivers in the coming days, also with vcds cable too, maybe it works somehow Cheesy

Aside this what the hell ch340 is good for lol..

If you do get a CH340 to work in COM port mode with ME7L let me know.

Those VCDS clone cables are all over the map, they have weird hacks in them that prevent them from working with normal FTDI drivers (some of which is hardcoded in FTDI drivers which detect they are clones).

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Blazius

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »

If you do get a CH340 to work in COM port mode with ME7L let me know.

Those VCDS clone cables are all over the map, they have weird hacks in them that prevent them from working with normal FTDI drivers (some of which is hardcoded in FTDI drivers which detect they are clones).

Yeah, I figured something of sorts is going because I took both cables apart the and vagcom indeed had an FTDI chip - if I remember right - but it wouldnt work. I'll update if I figure some fuckery out.
Blazius

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:47:29 AM »

So I tried this today again with both the CH340 cable and the VCDS HEX-CAN-USB one....

The CH340 cable has a CH340 IC and an LM339 comparator:

So- I tried installing FTDI(CDM) drivers, but windows wouldnt install them.. so I installed the CH340 drivers. Whatever I tried( different ports ,baud rates, etc.) I couldnt get it to connect to the ECU.( this is the farthest I got)

Now, what is this error code exactly, is this an ECU issue or not, should I try to pull instrument fuse ?

After this I tried the Rosstech cable with the rosstech VCP drivers...

This cable has:

- Atmel ATF16V8B 15JC EEPLD
- 2x VishaySiliconix 9231A transceivers
- Atmel ATMega 162 microchip
- MCP2551 CAN chip
- MCP2515 Chip
- and a blacked out FTDI clone/fake I guess chip , there is no description on top of it.

With this I couldnt connect to the program at all, I tried different ports , lower rates, etc etc. It just wasnt connecting in COM mode.

This was the result so , I tried switching to FTDI mode.

so I ticked the serial box and put COM4 in the last empty field ( i am not sure what is this for ?)

after this I ticked the location checkbox but no bueno still

Am quite baffled, what the heck is going on lol, is there any way to make this shiet work?  Grin
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »

IMO you're wasting your time Smiley

ECUx Plot

Blazius

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »

Probably.. though I am going to try the CH one more time with the dash fuse pulled mabe it works. Dont get mad at me if I post vcds logs for a bit Cheesy
macxxx

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »

Time is money so it would be chepaer to buy a ftdi cable Wink
Blazius

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:42:16 AM »

Time is money so it would be chepaer to buy a ftdi cable Wink

Yeah though, my money is concentrated on the hardware for turbo now, but the main thing is that I need to wait a month min to get it from china, as I dont trust local dealers anymore Cheesy
BlackT

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:21:26 AM »

Yeah though, my money is concentrated on the hardware for turbo now, but the main thing is that I need to wait a month min to get it from china, as I dont trust local dealers anymore Cheesy
Order it now, the sooner you order it the sooner you get it. And in meanwhile try to connect with ch340. My advice.
Blazius

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:24 AM »

Im baffled why this doesnt work. The CH chip provides the same exact functionality as the FTDI chips.. So this is either a software error with ME7 logger or wiring issue with the OBD port in the 8D...

So the chip used in this cable is a CH340C , there are a couple of CH340 chips with differences but the end user functionality is the same.

CH340T/R/G requires and external clock signal/oscillator to be wired to 2 pins of the packakge.

CH340C etc. has an internal clock generator just like FTDI chip., it doesnt have an EEPROM though like FTDI chips which is used to store a serial number, for licensing applications, BUT CH340B has an internal eeprom.

So lets view the PCB:

So the K-line pin comes in at the underside of the PCB, and runs directly to the comparator pin OUT3 - which is output pin of comparator 3 , and the other wire runs to 4IN+ - which is Positive input of comparator 4.

on USB side, we have 4 things: 5v , data + , data- , and ground.

5V runs to a resistor for the LED , then it continues onto a couple of capacitors for the VCC for the CH chip. Data +/- runs directly to the IC, CH340 has internal resistors etc for these.

1 - is TXD pin - Transmit async data output
2 - is RXD pin - Receuve async data input
3 - is V3 - goes to VCC when using 3.3V input or a 0.1uF decoupling capacitor when using 5V supply.
4 - is RS232 pin - Assistant RS232 enable
5 - RTS# - UART input
6 - DTR# - uart input
7 - DCD# - uart input
8 - RI# - uart input
9 - DSR# - uart input
10 - CTS# - uart input

these pins go to the comparator.

So, I am going to try to pull fuse intstrument cluster fuse and see if it works, or it has to be some other issue, because this in theory should work exactly like the FTDI chip.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:23:17 AM by Blazius » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »

Allright, so turns out you can use CH340 based chip to log or do any K line protocol stuff most likely , even nefmoto flasher if someone would rewrite it to use com port instead of ftdi drivers etc.

Anyways here is how to get shiet working:

Install CH340 drivers without the cable plugged in.

Download link - http://www.wch.cn/downloads/file/65.html

Just run it and press install.

After that plug the cable into the obd port then into your PC, and wait a few secs , it should automatically detect it and it should say ur device is ready to be used.
Go to Device Manager and find the cable under Ports / Serial cables , right click it and go to properties.

Set the following settings here:

then press advanced and set the following settings here:

I'd advise to use COM4 , because COM3 is often used on laptops also make sure to always plug the cable into the same usb port to avoid issues. FTDI eeprom doesnt let this happen it always keeps the same com port even with different usb port.

You obviously need to have your ECU file from Me7info , this is explained in the ME7Logger readme. BUT after you get ur ECU file from info, open it in notepad and set the connection value to 0x00, like so
whatever ME7info thinks is good, change this...!

Connect      = SLOW-0x00

Use VisualME7Logger to generate your config files ( values to log) BUT you cannot use VisualME7logger because it seems to overwrite stuff and it simply doesnt work for now( for me , another user reported it works)...

When you generated the config file , open it in notepad and change Sample/second to 50 !!!

So to start logging, open a CMD window where the ME7logger exe is located and type ME7Logger -p COM4 log.cfg

COM4 being the COM port you use and log.cfg is whatever is your config file named ( that you saved in VisualME7Logger)

so have that command ready, turn ignition on, press enter on laptop and it should connect. After this start the car and your done Smiley

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:57:26 PM by Blazius » Logged
prj

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 04:16:06 AM »

All those settings are unneccessary.

Also, press alt+printscreen, stop taking pictures of your screen with your phone.

Of course if you run ME7Logger with -f parameter which is FTDI native mode, it won't work with anything else.
Run with -p and COM port and everything works fine with any chipset.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Blazius

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:21 AM »

All those settings are unneccessary.

Also, press alt+printscreen, stop taking pictures of your screen with your phone.

Of course if you run ME7Logger with -f parameter which is FTDI native mode, it won't work with anything else.
Run with -p and COM port and everything works fine with any chipset.

Maybe. But I posted them so if anyone has a ch chip they put the exact same settings and its guaranteed to work. You can set whatever I am just saying it works.

Yes I know the command line options, but it wasnt working before I changed sample/s to 50... and ox00 init mode, also it doesnt work throught VisualME7Logger.(for ME) .exactly why I posted the settings...

and yeah I know printscreen but I cba to put them on usb too when I am transferring shiet to PC to post here.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:57:45 PM by Blazius » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: