Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: can tunerpro be used on bosch MED17 (mk6 GTI)  (Read 10146 times)
SAUCE118

« on: March 17, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »

Hello,
I am well versed in using Eurodyne to tune VAG's and although it was a very powerful tool on the ME7.X ecu's for the MK5 GTI's there seems to be a lot of limitation when it comes to the MK6 (MED17) ecus.  I have a lot of experience tuning with eurodyne as stated above, but I want something that will unlock more of the maps on the MED17.  Does anyone know if TunerPro can be used for this?  I did some quick research and it seems like you need a XDF or something for the particular ECU.  Can that be found for the MED17?  I am not looking for someone to help me tune my car, just trying to figure out how to get to that point, if possible, so I can get to work.  Thanks in advance!!!
jcsbanks

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:16:26 AM »

Yes. You can edit the binary however you like. Most flash tools will then do the checksums, compression, encryption, exploit.
SAUCE118

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

Is there a database on nefmoto or somewhere else that anyone knows about where I can get the XDF file for a mk6 GTI MED17?  I was talking to Mark Mansur, the guy who developed TunerPro, and he stated that as long as I can find an XDF file for my car that TunerPro will do the trick.  So does anyone have any recommendation about how to go about doing that?  I was also looking into going the winOLS route; but it gets expensive fast.  I know they have the demo version but I am under the impression that it is exactly that, a demo version; and the full version is needed to complete the process?  Like i said I am new to this method of tuning and I know I need to do a lot more research, so if someone could help explain all this to me or point me in a direction where I can research about it all that would be super helpful.  Thank in advance for the help!

I also have an extra ECU and purchased a bench cable used from another forum so my plan is to try and mess with the spare one that's not on the car until I figure this out and get it streamlined..

Another noob question I have is whether or not NEFMOTO software can be used to read/write MED17?  I looked at the "supported ECU" list and they were all ME7's  but IIRC I did read that people were using NEFMOTO to read/write on MK6's.  Please advise!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:35:06 PM by SAUCE118 » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »

Is there a database on nefmoto or somewhere else that anyone knows about where I can get the XDF file for a mk6 GTI MED17?  I was talking to Mark Mansur, the guy who developed TunerPro, and he stated that as long as I can find an XDF file for my car that TunerPro will do the trick.  So does anyone have any recommendation about how to go about doing that?  I was also looking into going the winOLS route; but it gets expensive fast.  I know they have the demo version but I am under the impression that it is exactly that, a demo version; and the full version is needed to complete the process?  Like i said I am new to this method of tuning and I know I need to do a lot more research, so if someone could help explain all this to me or point me in a direction where I can research about it all that would be super helpful.  Thank in advance for the help!

I also have an extra ECU and purchased a bench cable used from another forum so my plan is to try and mess with the spare one that's not on the car until I figure this out and get it streamlined..

Another noob question I have is whether or not NEFMOTO software can be used to read/write MED17?  I looked at the "supported ECU" list and they were all ME7's  but IIRC I did read that people were using NEFMOTO to read/write on MK6's.  Please advise!

WinOls demo works perfectly except u cannot do checksums and you cant save bins, apart from that you can find maps , and define them in xdf, its very good. There should be MED17 xdfs on here, if not you will have to find maps yourself.
SAUCE118

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »

OK, so this is going to be super noob, don't get upset; i swear I am a fast learner  Grin.. I have watched countless hours of how to find maps using winols and I know my way around lots of them from experience so I should be able to spot them after selecting and looking in 3d, so I am not worried about that part.  And from what I have researched, I will have to read my ecu (still not sure if i can read my ecu with NEFMOTO it being MED17?) and then start looking for maps.  But if i cant save my .bins then what do I do after finding maps?  I dunno.. I guess I need to spend more time understanding how this process works.  I don't understand what a .XDF file does or how to make one?  Is an XDF the same as a damos? which just makes it easier for people to find maps? 

I appreciate all the help, but this all seems like one of those things to someone new to the process its like wayyy over my head, then once I get to understanding it all, I wonder how I ever had trouble in the first place. 

Is there somewhere specific i could look for an MED17 xdf? I searched both MED17 and my ECU PN (1k0907115AM) on the forum with no avail. 
jcsbanks

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »

Most MED17 cannot be easily and completely read through OBD.

xdf are not openly available for VAG MED17. You will need to make your own through study and conversion from ols/a2l.

Or if that sounds too time consuming or you lack the skill, buy a commercial product to do it. Like WinOLS and some good map packs. Or Cobb if you can still get AccessTuner Race and can "pass" their exam.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:46:15 AM by jcsbanks » Logged
SAUCE118

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »

Right now I use Eurodyne Maestro Tuning Suite, the problem with that is that they limit many of the maps.  I have tried convincing COBB into giving me the program to tune their AccessPorts, but they require you to have a store-front and be a "business".  They will not release the program to an individual or enthusiast. 

So if I am understanding you correctly, the paid version of winOLS (after the ecu is boot-read) will do everything I need it to do(besides the literal flashing)?  I am confident I can find the maps I need as I am familiar with what they look like in 3-d.  I also just purchased a Galetto as I read that will be needed to actually flash the file to the ECU.  I have a bench cable and a spare ECU.  I am pretty much doing this as a hobby as my GTI is already a functioning 10 second car.  I am just interested in fiddling with the additional maps that Eurodyne limits on Maestro. 
jcsbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 04:33:39 PM »

You need something to write the flash to the ECU. PCMflash might be a good value option.

The choice between TunerPro and WinOLS is just what you want to use to edit.

SAUCE118

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:12 PM »

Okay.. I am beginning to understand the process a little better.  Are you familiar with PCMFlash?  If you go to their website:  https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/pcmflash/  it has the PCMFlash software for $22 and then if I scroll down it has different modules.  I would need "module 48" for the MED17.5.  which is about $200.  I can't seem to figure out if I need to purchase the PCMFlash software as well as the Module 48 or just the PCMFlash S/W or just the module.  I looked for contact information but it is a Russian company, and i do not speak Russian.  Do you have any familiarity? Thanks in advance!
Blazius

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:53 AM »

Honestly, just get an MPPS v18, it does Tricore and MED17 without any issues ( according to people ) so I think that would be your best bet, it also does way more cars than just that specific one.
jcsbanks

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »

You can buy PCMflash from chiptuningshop. You need the dongle, a module and a J2534 device, Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 works well.
SAUCE118

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:39 AM »

Will rosstech cable work?  I have 3 or 4 of them lying around.. some older ones and a newer hexcan one.  And thank you for the answers.  i saw this on the other thread:

Cheapest non-dodgy route is:
1) PCMFlash with the VAG MEDC17 TP20 module for read/write
2) WinOLS Demo (to help define maps) and transferring the maps manually TunerPro

Seems like i at least understand the idea in my head, which is progress.  Now for the damos (which helps find maps in winols right?) is that something that can be found for my ECU or will I have to find all the maps by myself?  I am still having trouble figure out how to incorporate the damos into winols, but i guess I need to get the ecu read and open winols before it will make sense?  Thanks for the help so far. 
_nameless

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 05:41:00 AM »

Rosstech will not work

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
SQT

Respectfully SQT ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 06:35:40 AM »

Will rosstech cable work?  I have 3 or 4 of them lying around.. some older ones and a newer hexcan one.  And thank you for the answers.  i saw this on the other thread:

Cheapest non-dodgy route is:
1) PCMFlash with the VAG MEDC17 TP20 module for read/write
2) WinOLS Demo (to help define maps) and transferring the maps manually TunerPro

Seems like i at least understand the idea in my head, which is progress.  Now for the damos (which helps find maps in winols right?) is that something that can be found for my ECU or will I have to find all the maps by myself?  I am still having trouble figure out how to incorporate the damos into winols, but i guess I need to get the ecu read and open winols before it will make sense?  Thanks for the help so far. 
no, .dam does not help to find. This is a list of maps tied to a specific version of the file soft. Winols will not do everything for you, you will have to dig in the file to find the right cards, there is also no tool for transferring cards from Winols to TunerPro, Nyet he can tell you, he tried to make such a tool
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:43:42 AM by SQT » Logged

a6 2.7
sorry for my English
Blazius

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

As Marty said, Rosstech doesnt work , its for VCDS, and other applications that can use an FTDI chip.

Again either PCMFlash, or MPPS v18, personally I would go for MPPS , but its whatever.

Also a damos absolutely does help you to find maps, even if its not for your ECU,  probably the only way you will find maps is if you find a defined xdf/mappack, damos and you compare the adresses between the bins, or you look in 2d for the maps in WinOls after you learn them in the defined files, or if you are a pro MED17 etc. tuner then you can find maps in 2d easily.. but I doubt you are Tongue
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: