Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MED 17.X  (Read 38271 times)
TTQS
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »

pay a big name tuner, dont waste your time.

it will take you 9 months to fully understand how the ecu works, then to start tuning, maybe 40 flashes later you may have something pretty decent.

Im sorry but its not just something you figure out, it will consume your life the med17

Like the man said. In the U.K., non 'big-name' tuner Vagcheck (who are essentially a two-man outfit but have a mystery contract code developer who, one imagines, must have good OEM connections) offer MED17 tunes. Morgan comments "This new family of ECUs will be sure to test the skills of our competitors, particularly if trying to achieve the higher outputs as found with our Stage 2 code. Since the whole thermodynamic cycle is modeled within the code, an advanced knowledge of thermodynamics is required to correctly calibrate the associated models & constants."

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vagcheck/64970-vagcheck-med17-remaps-tsi-tfsi-special-offer.html

...the whole thermodynamic cycle is modeled in the code?!  Shocked Just look at the increase in complexity from ME7.x to ME9.x both in terms of sheer number of modules/subroutines and model complexity itself and it's frightening enough. I should imagine the jump again to MED17 is spectacular and would be very difficult to evaluate for an amateur, even with an English funktionsrahmen.

TTQS
Fletch

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »

... a mystery contract code developer ...

The STIG!?!?

I'm realizing that while I aspire to be competent enough to tune my own VW, I probably don't have the available time and energy to crack this ECU.

RaraK's quote is particularly chilling...
"...Im sorry but its not just something you figure out, it will consume your life the med17..."

Thanks all, for the sobering advice. And good luck with your tuning adventures. I'll return to lurkmode.
Gonzo

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »

Shocked Just look at the increase in complexity from ME7.x to ME9.x both in terms of sheer number of modules/subroutines and model complexity itself and it's frightening enough. I should imagine the jump again to MED17 is spectacular and would be very difficult to evaluate for an amateur, even with an English funktionsrahmen.
Just look at MED9. People are still trying new things to get more power out of it.
Stratified injection is a whole another ball game and these ECU's will only keep getting more complex as the years go by.

Check this thread out BTW: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5616176-so-i-dyno-d-my-car-today-to-get-a-baseline.
(MED9)
Rick

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »

Like the man said. In the U.K., non 'big-name' tuner Vagcheck (who are essentially a two-man outfit but have a mystery contract code developer who, one imagines, must have good OEM connections) offer MED17 tunes. Morgan comments "This new family of ECUs will be sure to test the skills of our competitors, particularly if trying to achieve the higher outputs as found with our Stage 2 code. Since the whole thermodynamic cycle is modeled within the code, an advanced knowledge of thermodynamics is required to correctly calibrate the associated models & constants."

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vagcheck/64970-vagcheck-med17-remaps-tsi-tfsi-special-offer.html

...the whole thermodynamic cycle is modeled in the code?!  Shocked Just look at the increase in complexity from ME7.x to ME9.x both in terms of sheer number of modules/subroutines and model complexity itself and it's frightening enough. I should imagine the jump again to MED17 is spectacular and would be very difficult to evaluate for an amateur, even with an English funktionsrahmen.

TTQS

Yes, the compressor map is moded, so comes into the torque equation Smiley

Rick
lulu2003

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »

but I disagree with some of the myths about edc17/med17.
of course they are much more complex than 10 years before, but the complexity has two main reasons:
keeping latest emission standards
and
making application easier for the OEMs.

without knowing the details of these ecus in deep, i guess making well drivable tunes stage 1-x is easier than ever before.
but it is more and more difficult to get the map changes in the flash mem of the ECU.
RaraK

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »

but I disagree with some of the myths about edc17/med17.
of course they are much more complex than 10 years before, but the complexity has two main reasons:
keeping latest emission standards
and
making application easier for the OEMs.

without knowing the details of these ecus in deep, i guess making well drivable tunes stage 1-x is easier than ever before.
but it is more and more difficult to get the map changes in the flash mem of the ECU.

100% correct, equipment to do these ecu's is the major issue.  If you have zero tuning experience with me(d)x then you are going to be in trouble, coming from me7/med9 background, its not terribly difficult, but as said, equipment investment is big $$ not for the amateur tuner to "tinker with"
fredrik_a

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

Indeed the MED17 is more complex, but not impossible at all. Swedens largest tuning company needed a few months to develop both tuned software as well as a hand held computer for programming (I'm sure they looked at CMD/EVC/Optican to get a head start, but never the less...) that the customer receives, so obviously programming can be performed using rather cheap hardware if you want to. They are not gods, just clever people basically... :-)

The later car models (MY10/11/12) are heavily encrypted for OBD-programming (some cars for writing, some for reading and some both) but they can be tuned by opening the ECU, so understanding the MED17 system, and devloping cheap programming tools is obviously not impossible?

See for instance http://en.bsr.se/products/t1574/ and http://en.bsr.se/about/development/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:41:42 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
Gonzo

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »

You guys also need the proper documentation. Trying to tune MED9 or MED17 without having the proper knowledge is like trying to make a carburetor work on a diesel engine. (Yes it can be done, but results won't be great).
jpi512

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »

hi, may be these files, will be help to start for somebody........
i attach files from VW Vento (jetta5) 2.0Tsi MED 17.5 and Gti mk6 with similar ecu
both can be read/write thru obd port

then i attach too a Tprot file readed thru bootmode  for vw vento(jetta6) 2.0Tsi Med 17.5.2.
into the rar i put ecu photo, and captured screen of how to put into bootmode the med 17.5.2

note. i use original CMD flash tool
sn00k

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

hi, may be these files, will be help to start for somebody........

niice..! so there is a way to read and write these, and not too expensive.. the fun begins! Grin
jpi512

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

hi again..........
Med17.5 ecus can be read/write by obd2 port.............

the more cheap tool that i see, is called "powergate", and all clones are in europe, the prices cost for 1 unit its around 500 eur

jpi512
RaraK

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 05:32:53 AM »

for non TP ECU's, TP you need good pro tool to do though.  Heard of new powergate in works, pwg3 Smiley  wonder if it will work better for the newer ecu's
Gonzo

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:37 AM »

for non TP ECU's, TP you need good pro tool to do though.  Heard of new powergate in works, pwg3 Smiley  wonder if it will work better for the newer ecu's
PWG3? Where? Who told you this nonsense?  Tongue
jpi512

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »

hi, i tested powergate unit on this ecus (MED17.5), and read/write perfect.......

here is a link, to see how it looks. i know that can be cracked. i see the board and have J-tag conectors. may be its posible read micro of one "master unit", then write by jtag to new units "slaves for 1 car only" that are more cheap. i have 3 units.

if any are interest i have photos of board,software, can be ask me here or by PM

http://shop.cmdelectronics.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=249

jpi
Gonzo

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »

Tool is cheap as it is. Why are you trying to crack it?
Its ~$300USD for a single car version. If you are working on your own car, this is all you need.

Also, there is no tool that will read any MED17 ECU with TP over the OBD2 port as of yet, so please stop spreading false rumors. I have a few Powergate units and they do not work on 2012 VW's with MED17.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: