Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Attempting to log Volvo Me7.  (Read 12880 times)
jahko

« on: July 28, 2019, 05:30:13 AM »

Trying Me7Logger on a Volvo, late 01, early 02 S60 LPT auto. I put my ecu file in to create a template, it's a file I've not been able to find definitions for, although the odd maps are in the same place as in a defined older one I've got, I've managed to figure out a good few more just by spending time on all the different T5 auto and T5 manual newer and older bins too and actually got the car tuned up a bit so need some readings.

Found the page with the list of variables on it and was expecting to be able to find the alias and follow what I've got labelled and see if what I've done, is doing what I think it's doing. But I've pasted below what came up...

;
; Logging configuration template for file WinOLS (Volvo S60 (Original) - 359462).bin
;
; Template generated by ME7Info v1.20 (c) mki, 11/2010-03/2013.
; All automatically identified variables of the ecu are listed in this template.
;
; Make a copy of the template and uncomment the lines of variables which shall be logged .
; Optionally delete all unused lines and re-order the remaining lines as you like.
;

[Configuration]
ECUCharacteristics = WinOLS (Volvo S60 (Original) - 359462).ecu
SamplesPerSecond   = 20

[LogVariables]
;Name            [Alias]                             [; Comment]
wkra_0           ;{}                                 ; {last und drehzahlabh. Adaptionskennfeld f. wkr}
wkra_159         ;{}                                 ; {last und drehzahlabh. Adaptionskennfeld f. wkr}
zkrvf_0          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_1          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_2          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_3          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_4          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_5          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_6          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zkrvf_7          ;{}                                 ; {Zähler, bestimmt die Frequenz der zyl.-individuellen Zündwinkelfrühverstellung}
zzylkr           ;{}                                 ; {Zylinderzähler der Klopfregelung}

Is the file just one of those awkward one's, or have I missed something ? Can I find and add the rest manually? Havent connected to the car yet, no point if I don't know what I'm looking at. Anyone logged these cars? What did you get?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I've attached my ori file if anybody fancies having a look and seeing if they get the same, I am working on a map pack for this layout but it's no where near complete. My car is now a HPT from what I've got so far but need to make sure before I can start going any further with it as I need to change hardware next then start scaling things I can't currently find...
daniel2345

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

You have missed that this here is a VAG focused forum.

Diagnostics, especially deep logging is always on manufactor specific protocol base.

VAG protocol in ME7 is completely different to Volvo ME7 protocol.

Furthermore the trick to find the addresses in VAG ME7 (finds label addresses in fixed diagnostic table) will not work on Volvo ME7 because this diagnostic table does not exist in any Volvo Bin.
Blazius

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

You have missed that this here is a VAG focused forum.

Diagnostics, especially deep logging is always on manufactor specific protocol base.

VAG protocol in ME7 is completely different to Volvo ME7 protocol.

Furthermore the trick to find the addresses in VAG ME7 (finds label addresses in fixed diagnostic table) will not work on Volvo ME7 because this diagnostic table does not exist in any Volvo Bin.

What do you mean, this is a normal me 7 made by bosch like like any VAG car, it also has the standart odb2 requirments for logging(obviously) etc. If he wants to find more ram adresses for logging, AFAIK ( im not expert on this) he needs IDA or some way to trace them.
daniel2345

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 12:29:31 AM »

No, it is not.

It is a ME7, indeed.

But only generic OBD2 over CAN protocol is implemented in both (ISO15031).
With that you can only log the predefined labels in that standard (pids for Service 0x01 and Service 0x02).
Volvo supports about 15 fixed ones and you can not request address values.

For requesting addresses you would need implementation of ISO14230, especially SID 0x23 (readMemoryByAddress).
This protocol is NOT implemented in Volvo application layer. Volvo uses its own protocol there and no VAG approach will work.

For addresses you can use ida and search for your functions. Sure. In VAG you can find a table with about 500 fixed labels for all bins and corresponding addresses for that specific bin. Again that is NOT suitable in Volvo Bins.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:37:40 AM by daniel2345 » Logged
jahko

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:35:41 AM »

I didn't miss that but thanks. I've read that some people here put some serious work into the Volvo's too and didn't think I'd be the first attempting this. Might just buy a dice unit then.
Blazius

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »

No, it is not.

It is a ME7, indeed.

But only generic OBD2 over CAN protocol is implemented in both (ISO15031).
With that you can only log the predefined labels in that standard (pids for Service 0x01 and Service 0x02).
Volvo supports about 15 fixed ones and you can not request address values.

For requesting addresses you would need implementation of ISO14230, especially SID 0x23 (readMemoryByAddress).
This protocol is NOT implemented in Volvo application layer. Volvo uses its own protocol there and no VAG approach will work.

For addresses you can use ida and search for your functions. Sure. In VAG you can find a table with about 500 fixed labels for all bins and corresponding addresses for that specific bin. Again that is NOT suitable in Volvo Bins.

Hmm, interesting, so you are saying volvo me7  does not have the standart kwp2000 or kw1281 layer, but some propertiary one ?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »

ISO14230 has nothing to do with KWP

KWP is just a transport protocol standard.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
daniel2345

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 07:56:05 AM »

Yes, proprietary protocol.
Blazius

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »

ISO14230 has nothing to do with KWP

KWP is just a transport protocol standard.

ISO14 230 is standartised as kwp2000 though.

I was thinking of a 5 cylinder volvo in the future but , this throws me off a little bit :/ now. VR5 is my new goal though, that is VAG and it has some support.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:21:37 AM »

ISO14 230 is standartised as kwp2000 though.
It uses kwp as a transport.

kwp does not specify things that use it as a transport protocol.

HTTP is TCP/IP. That doesn't mean that every device that supports TCP/IP supports HTTP

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »

It uses kwp as a transport.

kwp does not specify things that use it as a transport protocol.

HTTP is TCP/IP. That doesn't mean that every device that supports TCP/IP supports HTTP

No way! Cheesy

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
ruan

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »

I didn't miss that but thanks. I've read that some people here put some serious work into the Volvo's too and didn't think I'd be the first attempting this. Might just buy a dice unit then.

VIDA + DICE on it's own is still crap, logs very few params.
fluke9

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »

Looks like ME7Logger uses a table in vag ecus which is used for the Measurement Blocks and other stuff which is not available in other ME7s.

The Volvo ECU might support readMemoryByAddress, but ME7Logger uses readDataByLocalIdentifier and a hack to circumvent the limits of
dynamicallyDefineLocalIdentifier. It directly writes to the memory address of the dynamic identifier table as the limit checks are not done upon reading but when defining.

So ME7Logger should rather be called VAGLogger IMHO.

This stuff does not work on my alfa ecus too, thats why i am working on a (patched) mcmess logging method.
Alfa/Fiat ECUs dont support dynamicallyDefineLocalIdentifier, but readMemoryByAddress, which can be used for logging but is a bit slow for many variables.
writeMemoryByAddress is implemented in some but does not work as it always reports an invalid format no matter how hard i tried.
And no its not a needed securityAccess login, i patched out the check for this, not even all ecus have securityAccess implemented anyways.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:36 AM »

Looks like ME7Logger uses a table in vag ecus which is used for the Measurement Blocks and other stuff which is not available in other ME7s.

The Volvo ECU might support readMemoryByAddress, but ME7Logger uses readDataByLocalIdentifier and a hack to circumvent the limits of
dynamicallyDefineLocalIdentifier. It directly writes to the memory address of the dynamic identifier table as the limit checks are not done upon reading but when defining.

So ME7Logger should rather be called VAGLogger IMHO.

This stuff does not work on my alfa ecus too, thats why i am working on a (patched) mcmess logging method.
Alfa/Fiat ECUs dont support dynamicallyDefineLocalIdentifier, but readMemoryByAddress, which can be used for logging but is a bit slow for many variables.
writeMemoryByAddress is implemented in some but does not work as it always reports an invalid format no matter how hard i tried.
And no its not a needed securityAccess login, i patched out the check for this, not even all ecus have securityAccess implemented anyways.

An opensource drop-in replacement workalike to ME7Logger and Me7Info would be amazing, if it had the same capabilities.

ECUx Plot

fluke9

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »

An opensource drop-in replacement workalike to ME7Logger and Me7Info would be amazing, if it had the same capabilities.

ME7Logger would not be hard to do, i basically have the cfg and .ecu parsing running and a KWP2000 HM-2 layer implemented,
but i do not own any VAG car and most likely never will, the ddli hack only applies to them.

So looks like i will not get around to replicate this part of ME7Logger, but it should not be too hard to implement.

ME7Info is another story, but i guess 360trev`s code could be expanded into something as capable or even more capable.

ME7Info is also quite VAG specific, will not find anything more than the stuff posted above on non VAG ecus.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: