Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problem with A8 D3 ME7.1.1  (Read 5169 times)
AranoX

« on: August 15, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »

Hi Guys!

I got a strange problem: Currently i'm experimenting with my ME7.1.1, so i bought 2 ECUs und tried to clone it with KTAG, and here problems begin.

The PCB Layout shown in KTAG (For BFM Engine it shows VAG ME7.1.1 HW3) is completely different from the real ECU. So i looked at the other HW-Versions, according to the Pinout Documentation its should be VAG ME7.1.1 HW1, shows the correct PCB and also the Chips (ST10C167, AM29F800BB, 95P08) are correct.

I tried to read it and after identification it says me that it detected a wrong Protocol, right protocol should be ME7.5 HW1 Huh . Documentation on this shows a completely different PCB and different EEPROM (95040), rest of the Chips (ST10C167, AM29F800BB) are the same. Astonished me but i tried reading anyway Grin and it working, i thought... I cant tell if MPC is read correct, but Flash is definitely read correct (Compared to read with KESS from working ECU, same SW), EEPROM not (Empty).

Then i tried write only the flash, that's where i fucked it up: KTAG powers on the ECU, Software says that it wants to start writing and in the same second power is shut off and the software says communication error. After that also read isn't possible anymore, same error as write.

What am I doing wrong?

What i tried:
  • Using Pin 24 on Flash instead of pad - same issue
  • Different PSUs (12V,14V,15V)
  • Ground Boot Pin/Pad to PCB instead of KTAG - same issue
  • Desoldered EEPROM to check if broken, its not, perfect read with Programmer

Did i brick this 2 ECUs definitely or is it possible to revive them?
Is KTAG maybe the wrong tool for this ECU? (Its working fine with EDC17)

Thanks upfront for any help on this, i want to do as much troubleshooting as possible before buying more ECUs.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:48:47 PM by AranoX » Logged
prj

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:19:42 AM »

Why don't you ask Alientech support?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
AranoX

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:32:31 AM »

Because its a clone (yes, yes, i know...) but known working good with other ECUs.

I will not get help anymore after saying that, right? Undecided
AranoX

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »

Little update:
Made myself a OBD bench cable and tried reading with NefMoto and Galletto1280 -> No luck, i think this two ECUs are definitely broken.

Maybe i try desoldering the AM29F800BBs and read them with a programmer to see if they are broken too.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »

nef cannot write st10.

Pretty sure it can't read st10 either, but i could be wrong.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
AranoX

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »

Also not even able to connect?
It should be at least able to read the flash, or do i understand something wrong?
dilly

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »

Also not even able to connect?
It should be at least able to read the flash, or do i understand something wrong?
if i'm not mistaken i think i had the same chip in my b5 s4. there is a thread on here about it somewhere. nef could connect but it could not read or write. one of the two idk i have since gotten another ecu
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »

if i'm not mistaken i think i had the same chip in my b5 s4.

IIRC there are no ME7.1.1 ST10 files that will work in a b5s4 unless you were dumb enough to do a 4.2 swap.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dilly

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »

IIRC there are no ME7.1.1 ST10 files that will work in a b5s4 unless you were dumb enough to do a 4.2 swap.
nah i dont remember the exact part number on the chip but it was something like this issue op has.
different chip inside the ecu that was encrypted and blocked writing
AranoX

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 07:34:15 PM »

The mysterious thing is that via KESS (before trying to write via KTAG) it is no problem, tested it 2 times, working just fine.
The problems only begin if i try to write it on bench, after that the ECUs are "broken", but it seems to be that at least EEPROM is not affected from this, will try to confirm flash later.
I got in contact with somebody who does read/write this type of ECU (especially from A8 D3) on a regular basis and got no problem using the same procedure as i did. Poorly he didn't want to tell me which interface he is using because he is making money for a living with this.  Embarrassed
So investigating goes on...  Undecided

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »

nah i dont remember the exact part number on the chip but it was something like this issue op has.
different chip inside the ecu that was encrypted and blocked writing

Easily circumvented with bootmode in ME7.1. Never an issue.

ECUx Plot

dilly

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »

Easily circumvented with bootmode in ME7.1. Never an issue.
this is what was in my ecu cockblocking me knew it was ST but wasnt exact https://imgur.com/WXqIAcJ
i didn't try bootmode only because my bench harness didnt fit the 2.7t ecu.. had the spare ecu in the trunk so flashed that and all was okay
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:02:45 PM by dirtnasty » Logged
AranoX

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 02:59:39 AM »

this is what was in my ecu cockblocking me knew it was ST but wasnt exact https://imgur.com/WXqIAcJ
i didn't try bootmode only because my bench harness didnt fit the 2.7t ecu.. had the spare ecu in the trunk so flashed that and all was okay

Mine does not got this extra board, flash is soldered directly to PCB.

Still got no update on this... cant figure out whats wrong...
simple2me

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 06:00:00 AM »

if you are trying to connect with a bench harness you need the gateway module connected as well.  I just finished my bench harness for my W12 ecm's. I can finally connect with VCDS on the table. The ecm's seem dead without it unless they are in the car.
AranoX

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »

if you are trying to connect with a bench harness you need the gateway module connected as well.  I just finished my bench harness for my W12 ecm's. I can finally connect with VCDS on the table. The ecm's seem dead without it unless they are in the car.

Tried read/write in car with bricked (im still not sure if they are really bricked) ecu, same result.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: