Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dual SMIC on a b6? Advice needed!  (Read 11185 times)
Swakefield

« on: September 16, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »

Intercooler question! Does anyone know if its possible to add a passenger side intercooler from a b7 to my b6 a4 1.8t?

I read somewhere youd need to pull all the hoses and the mounting bracket and such, and I work at a parts yard and got the entire b7 charge setup for free. But before I go and attempt it, any ideas if I'll have issues?

I know my SAI pump will have to be removed/relocated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2002 Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8t 5 Speed Quattro - Upgraded DV, Full Catless Exhaust, Chinese K04-015, Silicone TIP, Coilover Suspension, 630CC Bosch Injectors, Coolerworx Shifter Assembly
BlackT

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:02:35 PM »

It is usless thing I ever see. I have it OEM on my car.
My IAT is always 15C° above outside temp, and as soon the turbo start to make boost IAT go to sky.
 When I have B4, I have FMIC that is 3 times smaler than this on my car now. And it has double better eff.
This SMIC are bloked from outside air to cool them, and behind them there is no flow that hot air can escape outside
Swakefield

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »

It is usless thing I ever see. I have it OEM on my car.
My IAT is always 15C° above outside temp, and as soon the turbo start to make boost IAT go to sky.
 When I have B4, I have FMIC that is 3 times smaler than this on my car now. And it has double better eff.
This SMIC are bloked from outside air to cool them, and behind them there is no flow that hot air can escape outside
Well I got the setup for free, that's my main reasoning, and I wanted to experiment and at some point, get some small 6 inch high flow electric fans, and see what kind of affect having those installed to a flip switch would give me. Possibly even get some time of temperature sensitive trigger, similar to what Is used on some cheap aftermarket radiator fan kits for hot rods.

I have a 3d printer that's capable of printing plastics resistant to heat (200F+), so I figured I could make ducting on the rear to funnel the hot air into the wheel wells or down underneath the car.

2002 Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8t 5 Speed Quattro - Upgraded DV, Full Catless Exhaust, Chinese K04-015, Silicone TIP, Coilover Suspension, 630CC Bosch Injectors, Coolerworx Shifter Assembly
BlackT

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

Yes that is good plan, i have similar one.
I can post you pictures if you want to see how hoses go or somethin, yust ask.
 Ducting air to IC as well a make hole behiend them to air can escape will make huge improve(I think)

But.. when you do modification it is better idea to put FMIC. No matter that you get that SMIC free. But as you wish, it is only sugestion from me Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:05:50 PM by BlackT » Logged
Swakefield

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »

Yes that is good plan, i have similar one.
I can post you pictures if you want to see how hoses go or somethin, yust ask.
 Ducting air to IC as well a make hole behiend them to air can escape will make huge improve(I think)
Pictures would be fantastic! Thank you!

I took all of the charge hoses from the b7, from turbo all the way to throttle body, and both intercoolers, even tho I technically only need the passenger side one. I'll make sure to take pictures and note any modifications I had to do, for anyone else who wants to attempt this.

airtite

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:20:51 AM »

Hi I have done this on mine, it did drop IATs over the stock setup. I will try and see if I can find some pics. I still used the steel cross over under the crash bar, so out of the turbo into the bottom of the turbo side IC out the top down into the bottom cross over pipe and then stock setup on the other side.
airtite

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:29:17 AM »

pics
Blazius

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:08:35 AM »

You should be able to get a vented wheel liner from one of the S series that had them. its a possible modifcation for the b5, and a decent one I am assuming you could install it in a b6 too.
airtite

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »

sorry forgot the pic of them installed
Swakefield

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 05:02:28 AM »

sorry forgot the pic of them installed
Fantastic! I'll be attempting this on sunday, I'll make sure to report back with a result! I'll try to take a log or two as well!

BlackT

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:54 PM »

Sorry little
 late, but if can help you here you go

Swakefield

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »

Sorry I keep forgetting to report back to my threads! This mod did in fact work! I had to get some hose from the local auto store, a copper 90 Degree elbow and a 2.5 inch diameter (i think?) section of exhaust piping about 4 or 5 inches long. 

With these little bits and pieces it worked out! Its all mounted up, using the b7 pass side intercooler and mounting bracket, and a couple bits of the b7 charge piping. Been driving for 5k+ miles now, and ive seen a noticeable decrease in intake temps, and the engine is loving it!

I still need to take the time to remove the front bumper and trim the air vent/channel(?) running from the bumper to the intercooler, since the vent is designed for a b7 bumper.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: