Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VW Amarok Cluster swap  (Read 14636 times)
Tankie

« on: September 21, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »

Hi, I am having a bit of trouble swapping clusters from a midline to a high line cluster on a VW Amarok. I have a background in electronics and thought I could nut it out with all the information on the internet but I have hit a dead end. I am unable to extract the pin from either the old or the new cluster. They both have a 24c64 eeprom which I have downloaded and attempted to interrogate, however all the information I can find does not seem to correlate to these bin dumps. From what I can tell, they are encrypted - i.e. there is no ascii plain text information on the VIN, Immo ID, SKC, or anything else as far as that would be useful. I am also unable to confirm what Immo version I have as the guides on using VCDS do not work on my vehicle - i.e. there is no information in the extra fields that lead to the Immo type. I am also unsure what adapter to buy, Vag commander, Vag taco etc as they all have conflicting information.

When I swap the clusters over it says "Immobilizer Active", my question is - is there any way to extract the pin from the cluster eeprom? or any way to code the new cluster to the vehicle? the vehicle has an EDC17 ECU which seems hard to read as well. All the information I can find seems to apply to vehicles pre 2011ish. the old cluster is a 2H0920863C and the new cluster a 2H0920871A. I have attached the old cluster dump if anyone has an ideas. Any advice is appreciated - thanks
prj

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:35 AM »

Go to dealer or someone else with GEKO subscription.
All alternatives costs thousands of euros. Not worth it for one time.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Tankie

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 05:20:29 PM »

Ok thanks, yea that is the conclusion I had pretty much come to. Local dealer is happy to give it a go so its booked in for next week. Cheers
H2Deetoo

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »

I assume both clusters are VDO brand which is true for most cases.
They indeed have their immo data stored encrypted in eeprom and without the key from flash you can't decrypt them.
So the only way to read/wrte immo is by OBD using proper tools.

I know the dealer can adapt a new/virgin cluster to a car, but the cluster has to be in virgin state.
From what I know the can't adapt an already used cluster.

So I hope your dealer can make it work, but from what I know they can't.

Rgs H2Deetoo
H2Deetoo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »

I see these are UDS based clusters.
I have developed a client/server toolset which allows me to remotely read/write all necesery data.

If your dealer can't make it work, you can send me a PM for more details.

Rgs H2Deetoo
prj

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »

I assume both clusters are VDO brand which is true for most cases.
They indeed have their immo data stored encrypted in eeprom and without the key from flash you can't decrypt them.
So the only way to read/wrte immo is by OBD using proper tools.

I know the dealer can adapt a new/virgin cluster to a car, but the cluster has to be in virgin state.
From what I know the can't adapt an already used cluster.

So I hope your dealer can make it work, but from what I know they can't.

Rgs H2Deetoo

Of course dealer can adapt used cluster. In fact ANY used cluster.
IDK where this misinformation comes from. What you are suggesting would be illegal in the EU.

In fact anyone with GEKO subscription can do it. Does not have to be dealer.

Log your car properly.
cherry

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »

Yes but for this generation used cluster have to be "untouched" and VIN not locked (e.g. stolen or even disposed pre-series car maybe), this means valid immodata inside which are fitting to immodata / Fazit-ID stored on server. New immodata can only be written after authoriticate with valid immodata. After this procedure MAC is cross aligned in car, so old part will not work in this car anymore.
cherry

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »

Btw even old Golf MK4 cluster was not possible to adapt if you change immo-id <-> skc.
prj

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 11:13:43 PM »

Yes but for this generation used cluster have to be "untouched" and VIN not locked (e.g. stolen or even disposed pre-series car maybe), this means valid immodata inside which are fitting to immodata / Fazit-ID stored on server. New immodata can only be written after authoriticate with valid immodata. After this procedure MAC is cross aligned in car, so old part will not work in this car anymore.

You can buy a used cluster on eBay and adapt with ODIS if you have GEKO subscription.
It makes zero difference if the cluster was before fitted to a car or not.

You are describing some edge cases that simply do not happen. No one sells clusters on eBay where they screw with things, they would all just get returned.
Probably trying to push some own tool for thousands of EUR when it's doable with GEKO subscription in 10 minutes.

Log your car properly.
H2Deetoo

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 12:48:27 AM »

I have always been informed that secondhand PQ based clusters cannot be adapted by dealer (odis/geko).
Secondhand clusters for MQB platform *can* be adapted though, this I know first hand.

Maybe I was misinformed many times, I simply haven't tried this myself on PQ platform, but I was simply told by several people on several occasions.
On the other hand it is fairly easy to virginize a secondhand cluster, and this is what many people do to make it work at the dealer.

>What you are suggesting would be illegal in the EU.

Why would read/writing the clusters eeprom or immo remotely be illegal ?
(I understand changing mileage is illegal though.)

Rgs H2Deetoo
prj

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 01:45:43 AM »

T6 bus is not MQB and it has been possible to swap used cluster for example (firsthand experience).

Also you can swap almost any component/control unit for a used one incl. engine ECU, cluster etc.
The trick is, you can not do everything at once. There are procedures to follow.
If dealer is refusing they just don't want to deal with it.

As for legality - restricting operations only to dealer as well as making used parts scrap is illegal. There is regulation for that.
This is why GEKO system is available to everyone for a subscription. To comply with the regulation.
https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showOnlineServices.do

If your dealer does not want to do it, find independent workshop with subscription who will do it.
It's not a question of "can't do it" it's a question of "can't be arsed to deal with used parts when can sell a new part".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:47:47 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
H2Deetoo

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 04:07:55 AM »

Thanks for the info.
Anyway the offer still stands, if you need help with immo swap I might be able to help you remotely.
PM if interested.

Rgs H2Deetoo
Tankie

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:19 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input - especially thanks to H2Deetoo who was able to remote in and recode my cluster over tcp/ip. Immobilizer and keys completely coded and vehicle now working with new highline cluster  Smiley
H2Deetoo

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:54 AM »

You are welcome Smiley
vwaudiguy

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input - especially thanks to H2Deetoo who was able to remote in and recode my cluster over tcp/ip. Immobilizer and keys completely coded and vehicle now working with new highline cluster  Smiley

What tools were required on the car side for this to be possible?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: