Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Nefmoto 1.9.4.3 flash - how to make a reliable connection to ecu?  (Read 3427 times)
dummycap

How is it possible that I could successfully get flash from the ecu (successful, if that is what it is, me7check - says it's all right) only once using the nefmoto out of 100 tries.

each time, I turn off the ignition, wait a few jiffies, turn it on, restart nefmoto, connect to ecu(with com baud rate = 10400, or different values) and try to read the full flash.

Almost all the time, bar once(or twice) the nefmoto software says it can't verify the memory layout, the car by the looks of it from the dash locks up - the immo bulb is on and the whole PRND thing is lit.

the one time I managed to download the flash - I have the log. And I have the log which shows how it looks when the tool can't download the flash. Find both attached to the post(nefmoto unsuccessful download.zip, nefmoto successful download.zip). Also, I attached the flash I managed to download once.

Just in case the ecu id and whatnot is as follows:

0x92, System Supplier ECU Hardware Number: 0261207931
0x94, System Supplier ECU Software Number: 1037363929
0x91, Vehicle Manufacturer ECU Hardware Number: 0x0D, 8E0909018A  , 0xFF
0x9B, Calibration Date: 4B0906018DA , 0003, 0x030040A7, 0x00000000, 0x14BF, 1.8L R4/5VT    ,  G01
0x9C, Calibration Equiment Software Number: 0x00000000

btw, the car is USDM 2003 VW Passat, 1.8t with swapped engine which is now AGU I believe.

Now, how do I make it work more reliably. And the next thing - I haven't tried writing the flash back to the car as I am not confident I can do it properly, since I can't even read off the flash most of the times. The whole flashing thing is due to the fact that I want to turn off the bloody rear/downstream oxygen sensor functionality. That is the only thing that comes up as an error due to dead cat and the O2 sensor. I haven't bothered correcting the flash yet, I just want to make the upload/download reliable at this point.
Hints are welcome!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:33:49 AM by dummycap » Logged
dummycap

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:42:59 PM »

PS: just as an addition

The car has an third party, non oem security system installed if that matters - I think the car doesn't mind about it that much. It allows to start the car remotely, lock & unlock from fob. That is about it.

Now, I also remember specifically once I downloaded the flash while the car was in the keyhole but with the ignition off. The other time it was with the ignition on, not running.

Oh, and btw, the cable is supposedly cheapest FTDI version. I tried this on Windows 7 and 10 (both x86_64). The 10 found the drivers from whatever way online it could find automatically. And Win 7 was given the WHQL ones from the ftdichip.com. I tried the latest version and some earlier version, both with the same disgraceful results Smiley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:46:57 PM by dummycap » Logged
bororobbo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »

You need to pull the fuse for the clocks

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
dummycap

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »

I should have replied earlier in case somebody might stumble upon this.

I never managed to read off the ecu flash with Nefmoto (nor the eeprom) while the ecu was in the car. However, once I took out the ecu out of the car, I did read off the flash and the eeprom after I switched the ecu into boot mode, with the same cable.

Also, to not to monkey around the ECU too much in future, I soldered a jumper wire to the leg of the 95040 IC, well to the trace connected to it, and attached this wire to the switch which was installed on to the ecu housing. I have to put the ecu into boot mode in order to read and write the flash (and/or eeprom) - it won't read/write otherwise  -  only diagnostic works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: