Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Had my first ordeal with reviving a bricked ECU.  (Read 7001 times)
jibberjive

« on: March 31, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »

So somehow a flash didn't complete using Nefmoto software, and from then on my blue FTDI cable wouldn't connect with the ECU.  Took the ECU out for 10 mins, no go. Unhooked the batter for 30 mins, no go.  So, after struggling with Galletto to get it in boot mode, I finally succeeded after literally like 4 hours of trying everything.  Wrote the file to the ECU with Galletto, and now the car starts. Awesome!

But now I have a question. I have an ECU from an 2001 A6 2.7t tip that I tried to use ArgDub's EEPROM programmer in bootmode to write an M-box 90504 EEPROM (Nefmoto wouldn't link up with it previously because of the immobilizer).  So, now that I knew how to work Galletto and had it working, I attempted to put the A6 ECU in boot mode to flash the m-box eeprom over it.  I got it to connect in Galletto like it's supposed to, then when I tried the EEPROM write program, it gave the same error that it gives people when they're not in boot mode.

The question I have is once you're in boot mode in Galletto, how do you keep the ECU in boot mode when not using the Galletto cable/software? I tried everything I could think of, and nothing worked.
julex

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

Shortening the PINs enters the ECU into boot mode. From then on, the software in question  must initiate proper "boot mode" protocol to do whatever it needs to. AFAIK, EEPROM flasher should be able to properly initiate the boot mode session without a need to involve galletto at all.

I will give this a whirl today as well. I do know from my own experience that using galletto on my set up with any of three ECUs I tried as a multi hours ordeal to get anything flashed...

Must be my cable or something but it strangely reminds me of your ordeal.
jibberjive

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

So once I've entered bootmode once by shorting the pin, it's then forever accessible by whatever other program (for example, even if I cycle the ignition off and back on)?  The eeprom flasher gave me the same error it was giving people who supposedly weren't in bootmode (they posted their errors in the flasher thread). If I am able to successfully connect to galletto, does that mean that I am for sure in bootmode, or can galletto connect and write without boot mode as well?  Do I have to keep the ignition on once in boot mode?  Any way to verify boot mode?
julex

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »

So once I've entered bootmode once by shorting the pin, it's then forever accessible by whatever other program (for example, even if I cycle the ignition off and back on)?  The eeprom flasher gave me the same error it was giving people who supposedly weren't in bootmode (they posted their errors in the flasher thread). If I am able to successfully connect to galletto, does that mean that I am for sure in bootmode, or can galletto connect and write without boot mode as well?  Do I have to keep the ignition on once in boot mode?  Any way to verify boot mode?

There are two "boot mode" things that have to take place for any programming to succeed.

1) ECU must physically enter "Boot mode" by the mean of user shortening the pin during power-up
2) Software must support "boot mode" and connect using "boot mode" protocol.

Boot mode can only be enabled when the pin is shorted to ground at the time of powering the ECU. If you shut off the ignition and cycle it back on, it is a new cycle and if you don't have the pin shorted again, the ECU will boot in normal mode.

Galletto has two modes to choose from, a normal one and  boot mode one. I forget how is it designated in drop down list in galletto, but I vaguely remember it being something like "29F800 BOOT PIN" under "BOOT MODE" section. Depending which one you choose, that's what it will try. You cannot enter normal mode with galletto if your booted the ECU in boot mode. Similarly you won't enter boot mode session with galletto if you boot ECU without entering boot mode.
jibberjive

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:44 AM »

I think I was just more confused with the necessity of Galletto to get into boot mode.  I thought that you had to get into boot mode with Galetto first (which is what I was doing, cycling the power with the boot pin grounded and Galletto software running), and then run the other software.  What I think I need to do to flash with the eeprom program in boot mode with the blue cable is, correct me if I'm wrong, cycle the power/get into boot mode (independent of what's happening on the PC), and run the eeprom program first. I think when I was exiting Galletto to go to the command prompt to run the eeprom programmer, it was kicking it out of bootmode or something (even though I wasn't necessarily cycling the ignition).
julex

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:29 AM »

yes, you don't involve galletto at all. Just boot the ECU in boot mode with pin and fire up the flasher program. It should connect to ECU and flash.
jibberjive

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »

Sweet. So many small technicalities and rigidly ordered procedures ha. I'll get it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: