Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: OpenHaldex - HPA touchmotion.. but cheaper  (Read 40943 times)
Aardschok

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »

I'm going to be dumb and ask it anyway, but why do we need an inteceptor and then a master?

Would you not just want to have the inteceptor?  Read CAN, if not stock, don't repeat and adjust, if stock, repeat message?  I've probably had too many beers.

No, that's a perfectly reasonable question to ask Smiley

The master exists because I wanted to make FISblocks integration as simple as possible further down the line.

It also means that the interceptor has more time available to forward messages.. there is a lot of traffic and it doesn't take much for controllers to start getting upset. Printing to serial is particularly expensive in terms of CPU time1.. there is a possibility that the interceptor simply doesn't have enough time to do it all.

That being said, I reckon the Haldex doesn't actually need all of the messages on the bus to be forwarded, I would like to try removing each one in turn to see what happens

(1) Edit: At least when I'm printing debug information.. I would have to do some profiling
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:44:31 PM by Aardschok » Logged
adam-

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:43 PM »

IMO FISBlocks is quite slow.  Updating the display is slow as is connecting to the ECU.  What benefit/or what were you planning on adding to FISblocks?  Ability to select what mode you'd like?

I was planning on porting my FISCuntrol (largely based on Blocks) over to ESP purely for speed and larger memory.  I added quite a few features to Blocks and it killed an Uno quickly.  Put onto a Mega was fine but I can imagine the limits will be found soon.

As an FYI, ESPs are dual core and tasks can be run on them:
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/esp32-dual-core-programming-using-arduino-ide

I'm not sure how willing you'd be to re-work the whole thing in to one module though!
Aardschok

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »

Yep, fair enough, I can see the ESP working quite well as a replacement for the master.. but the Due's shoes are harder to fill, with ESP32's solo CAN port being the biggest and most obvious problem.

Maybe something like this for a pi..

https://www.elektor.com/pican-2-duo-can-bus-board-for-raspberry-pi

But that expansion board alone costs more than all bits of the existing system combined!
d3irb

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »

ESP32 also has SPI, so you could use an off the shelf MCP2515 (or two!) in addition to the onboard CAN. Breakout boards for this are really inexpensive - like $3-4USD. Anyway I think you have done well and do not want to question what works - but just some ideas. On the same token those PiCAN boards work well but are an absolute ripoff from a pricing point of view - just like with the ESP32 you can also wire some of the $3 SPI CAN boards into the Pi.
adam-

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 11:25:09 PM »

ESP32 also has SPI, so you could use an off the shelf MCP2515 (or two!)

Yeah, that's what I was meaning.  You don't need to be tied to using a board with built-in CAN when there are modules that do it for you.  I'm going to grab my spare FIS cluster this weekend and port my FISCuntrol over to ESP too.
Aardschok

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 01:33:40 AM »

Ohhh I see, of course.. sorry, beginning to see the light now Cheesy

Parts ordered, thanks for the valuable input
terok

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:00 AM »

Teensy 3.6 has dual CAN, is cheap and quite speedy also. Transceiver and bt needs add-ons though, but are also cheap.
SAgti

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 08:13:48 AM »

This is fantastic - awesome work, well flipping done!

I will be needing one of these for my 3.2T project. I was looking at the HPA - but yeah it is very $$$.

adam-

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 04:25:34 AM »

Did this gain any further traction? Smiley
Aardschok

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 05:40:05 AM »

Traction Cheesy

Not really... I got my ESP32 to talk to itself via two MCP2515s and found the likely cause for slow CAN - the MCP2515 library I was using looks to be pretty inefficient and I intend to improve it.

Lost a lot of my work to a hard drive failure though and never found the motivation to pick this up again Sad

I will come back to this at some point... hopefully sooner rather than later
adam-

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »

I'm hopefully close to firing up my VR6t shortly and then once painting the shell is done it'll be ready for the road, COVID depending.  I started to port the FIScontrol library into the ESP but lost interest because I had a VR to build!
Cadensdad14

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »

I figured Id offer my support.  Im working on integrating a M4 based system into my car.  Im prototyping with the adafruit M4 Grand Central but would like to go to one of the chips with integrated CAN once i have a working model.  But this is awesome and I really appreciate it.
sherpagoodness

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »

Does somebody have one of these already put together that theyd be willing to sell?
Aardschok

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »

So I finally picked this up again and am fighting my way through dual core FreeRTOS fun on the ESP32.

My boards arrived but the headers for slotting the ESP32 dev board into are a mirror image of what they should be... lesson learned: don't order PCBs at 7am having spent all night designing them  Roll Eyes

Going to order more boards after spending time to review the revised design.
adam-

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2022, 12:19:40 AM »

Can I buy a board please?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: