Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: N75 + wastegate range  (Read 8001 times)
dilly

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »

So does the turbo make any pressure after cracking or what’s the psi value after cracking? I’m assuming by cracking you mean cracking opening of the flap?  I guess this is going to be a lot of trial and error.  How do I make sure overboost will not happen?  Or typically what cracking pressure do I need to be set to to run 300whp @ 5k rpm?
the wastegate regulates boost  pressure by opening and letting the exhaust gas bypass the turbine wheel.
you have a lot of research to do my friend. it isn't as easy as swapping turbos and going. guarantee you are going to make your engine block see-through if you try tuning this yourself if you dont even know how turbos operate.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »

So does the turbo make any pressure after cracking or what’s the psi value after cracking? I’m assuming by cracking you mean cracking opening of the flap?  I guess this is going to be a lot of trial and error.  How do I make sure overboost will not happen?  Or typically what cracking pressure do I need to be set to to run 300whp @ 5k rpm?

Literally none of what you said make a whit of sense. They aren't even coherent questions.

The only question that remotely makes sense is this one

How do I make sure overboost will not happen?

And if you don't know the answer I don't know what to say.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Geomeo

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »

Literally none of what you said make a whit of sense. They aren't even coherent questions.

The only question that remotely makes sense is this one

And if you don't know the answer I don't know what to say.

Say nothing, because the wtf and are you drunk is just as negative as this one.  This is the noob question forum so let’s not all laugh at people who are not up to parr.  Thanks
Geomeo

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 11:18:11 AM »

the wastegate regulates boost  pressure by opening and letting the exhaust gas bypass the turbine wheel.
you have a lot of research to do my friend. it isn't as easy as swapping turbos and going. guarantee you are going to make your engine block see-through if you try tuning this yourself if you dont even know how turbos operate.
Well I am on the noob forum so I think I’m generally aware the research I need to do.  You were the one that mentioned cracking pressure.  So me asking what is cracking pressure seems to be pretty straightforward.....
dilly

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »

Well I am on the noob forum so I think I’m generally aware the research I need to do.  You were the one that mentioned cracking pressure.  So me asking what is cracking pressure seems to be pretty straightforward.....
cracking pressure of the wastegate is as straight forward as can be for the topic. it is the pressure in which the wastegate starts to crack open.
adam-

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 11:42:23 PM »

Or typically what cracking pressure do I need to be set to to run 300whp @ 5k rpm?

Are you doing this to keep rods in the block?
Geomeo

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »

cracking pressure of the wastegate is as straight forward as can be for the topic. it is the pressure in which the wastegate starts to crack open.

Thanks starting to make a little more sense as I do more research....Stay tuned.
Geomeo

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »

Are you doing this to keep rods in the block?
I rebuilt the engine already with H-Beam rods.  The alternative to buying a gtx was to repair my old K03.  Seems a waste if you'll pardon the pun..  I understand that there are envelopes not to push past and that's all I'm trying to do is reduce the chance of that happening by asking questions. 
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

I rebuilt the engine already with H-Beam rods.  The alternative to buying a gtx was to repair my old K03.  Seems a waste if you'll pardon the pun..  I understand that there are envelopes not to push past and that's all I'm trying to do is reduce the chance of that happening by asking questions. 

the short answer is the wastegate is controlled by the ECU.

it should have a proper operating range such that

1) it is tight enough to hold the maximum desired boost when there is no pressure in the wg control line (N75 WGDC is >95%)
2) the minimum pressure required to open the wastegate is low enough to allow good part throttle behavior (N75 WGDC is <10%)
3) the operating range of useful wg control line pressure results in as linear a response as possible

To elaborate on 2, the ECU controls load via two main methods (torque intervention via ignition angle notwithstanding): 1) throttle plate angle and 2) wgdc.

Below cracking pressure (aka base boost), load can only be controlled via throttle plate angle
Above cracking pressure, load can also be controlled via wgdc

This is all applicable to all kinds of forced induction applications, it is not unique to Audi or even Motronic.

It is a bare requirement to understand all of it before even beginning the tuning process.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Geomeo

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »

Thanks.  I think I know where I’m going wrong.  Thought the n75 was making its own pressure.  Oops.   
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »

Thanks.  I think I know where I’m going wrong.  Thought the n75 was making its own pressure.  Oops.   

That would do it. Yes, there is no other source of pressure that can be used to open the WG.

ECUx Plot

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: