Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME17 disassembly questions  (Read 4266 times)
beetleboosted

« on: August 05, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »

I'm new to programming and disassembly.  Relevant language or not, I've poked a bit at Arduino and have built a few successful projects, so programming isn't totally foreign.  I can work my way through it if it doesn't do what I want the first time, and I'm not afraid to "give it the 'ole college try".  I know what I'm doing with tuning as well, so that isn't an issue either. 

Here's my current project.  I'm wanting to figure out what I have to do to a ME17 07K 2.5 file to change the MAP sensor to one from a FSI, in order to read boost pressure.  I know I'm going to have to figure out how to disassemble and whatnot.  I'm perfectly OK with that.  I'm after some advice to know where to go to start to make it happen.  I have IDA v5.0 freeware installed from a while back when I poked at it for something else.  If i need something else, I'll get it.  I don't necessarily need someone to hold my hand.  More needing someone to give me a generous shove in the right direction to get me going.  Any help would be appreciated. 
Herleybob

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »

I am going to reply to this, just because its what i've been working on in the past week. And i am by far no expert at all, just a beginner!

First and foremost, you need a flash readout(probably a ktag). Once you have that, you need to disassemble it. I've tried IDA pro, and wasn't to keen on it(probably because i didn't know how to use it), i moved over to Ghidra and haven't looked back. Load it up into ghidra, and analyze it and just start poking around(note to help, base address is 0x80000000). I had a few ram addresses and tables already defined when i started looking, such as RPM, TPS, etc and main afr, timing, etc and so on, so i moved to that address and defined those and then searched the binary for references to that address.

Ultimately in the end, I've done nothing but just messing around searching addresses, etc. If you are able to log ram addresses it will help greatly. I am able to and can load up to 256 bytes at a time, run the vehicle and log it. This helps when searching for the raw ADC values from an input pin, etc.

Datasheets also help, if its a tricore its probably a TC1797 so load up the data sheet. See what you can find for a damos/a2l etc but you most likely wont find anything of value unless you wanna pay a bunch.

One final note, there is a thread here about disassembling a MED/EDC17 that's over 5 pages long and has good information in it regarding the calling to configuration(parameter) tables etc. This helped me tremendously when figuring out how the tables were addressed/called.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: